Gransnet forums

Chat

Treats that are no longer available

(194 Posts)
Hildagard Wed 10-Mar-21 09:09:37

Morning, I don’t have any idea why, but I had a yearning for a Royal Scot biscuit yesterday! Anyone else have a longing for now unavailable food?

Kate1949 Wed 10-Mar-21 20:10:56

Oxo crisps were delicious..

nipsmum Wed 10-Mar-21 20:21:46

My favourites were Killer Treacle toffees.

NoddingGanGan Wed 10-Mar-21 20:31:27

Bath Olivers sad

Hildagard Wed 10-Mar-21 21:02:12

Gosh I really started something with this post, so many memories! Thank you for all your replies.

Casdon Wed 10-Mar-21 21:21:06

I have good news, B&M apparently have Frys cream eggs! I knew they did the Frys different flavour bars (not five boys) as I’d seen them in there, but just checked and they have the cream eggs as well. I don’t work for them by the way, but they do a good line in retro sweets.

melp1 Wed 10-Mar-21 21:24:11

Same here Aztec Bars and horlicks tablets

JoyBloggs Wed 10-Mar-21 22:09:28

Supergran1946

On the way home from school I used to buy a little square sweet called Fruit Salads. They were four for a penny ! Not seen them for decades ?

Yes, I remember Fruit Salads! And from the same sweet shop we used to get Puff Candy bars which were like Crunchy bars but a sort of lumpy shape - they were my favourite. And then there were Penny Arrows, long thin toffee bars available in different flavours. I knew someone who lived near the factory where they were made and I'm not sure if it was true, but it was said that people there knew what day of the week it was by the smell from the factory e.g. peppermint, treacle etc according to what flavour was being produced.

Kate1949 Wed 10-Mar-21 22:19:56

Milk chews, gob stoppers.

Hellogirl1 Wed 10-Mar-21 23:13:01

Not from my childhood, but the 60s and 70s, biscuits, made, I think, by Symbol. They ere a biscuit, with a layer of peppermint cream, and the whole was covered in dark chocolate, lovely! Can`t remember the name, but think it was Triple something.
And then there were Terry`s Neapolitans, too expensive to have regularly, but I LOVED them. Tiny individually wrapped chocolate bars in various flavours, one was mocha. They disappeared when Terry`s did.

Hellogirl1 Wed 10-Mar-21 23:17:50

Just remembered, Nestles Triple Bar, a bar of chocolate with 3 layers, milk, white and dark.

Froglady Thu 11-Mar-21 08:48:13

BlueBelle

I often would love to try something I was so fond of in my school days but never see nowadays ..tiger nuts yummy

Oh yes Tiger Nuts! I remember being able to buy them at the market at Harrogate when I used to go and stay with my grandparents.

catladyuk Thu 11-Mar-21 15:06:14

look what i've just found, mind you don't get trampled in the rush!!

www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/mcvities-cafe-noir-200g?

catladyuk Thu 11-Mar-21 15:12:54

and even on amazon, bit pricey though even for a treat!

www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=cafe+noir+biscuits&tag=gransnetforum-21

stewaris Thu 11-Mar-21 19:21:41

I've just thought of another one that I loved. We weren't particularly well off bit every so often my mother would buy viennese triangles. They were wafer and a chocolate cream covered in chocolate. I loved them as a child.

Whiff Thu 11-Mar-21 19:27:59

Every time I think of chocolate coated nougat it reminds of my late husband . Can you still buy it? My favourite was always lemon sherbet sweets.

Luckylegs Fri 12-Mar-21 20:52:38

Thanks catladyuk I’ve ordered some Cafe Noir biscuits! They’ll be here next a Monday.

Newatthis Sun 14-Mar-21 20:34:53

I 2nd Horlicks tablets - delicious!

lindiann Wed 07-Apr-21 13:53:32

Bought Hula Hoops Puft today they are very similar to the potato puffs we used to get at school smile