Gransnet forums

Chat

What makes life worth living?

(29 Posts)
Greeneyedgirl Fri 12-Mar-21 20:55:01

Since lockdown I’ve had more thinking time to consider what it is that really matters to me. In normal times I am so busy rushing from one thing to another but I realise now that I haven’t made time to prioritise what I really value. I wonder what others think make their lives worth living?

Pantglas2 Fri 12-Mar-21 21:10:16

Family and friends - whether it’s your pets, partner, children or parents and siblings, treasure them all.

lemongrove Fri 12-Mar-21 21:19:52

All those things and.....gardens, tea, and marmalade and music, books, poetry, and good health and laughter.

grandmajet Fri 12-Mar-21 21:24:00

What can I add to that?
Maybe the appreciation of nature, birds, flowers, trees, the changing seasons. The feeling of the weather on your skin, rain or shine.
Just the joy of being alive in the world.

Mamardoit Fri 12-Mar-21 21:28:29

Seeing my adult DC and the grandchildren.

I'm involved with the local church, and a couple of other local groups which normally take up lots of my spare time especially in the summer months. That will change from now on. I will still be involved but not with the organising and fund raising. Someone else can take over shopping for and preparing the Sunday 1st X1 teas too.

Holidays, meals out, concerts/theatre trips will happen again eventually but they are not essential. It is time together that matters. We've done lots of work in the garden in the last 12 months and we want to be home more to carry on with that. We've also decided not to downsize just yet.

We made new wills and have started giving stuff away to the DC. Things they don't want are being sold or given to charity. The stuff that came from the PIL in 1998 ie, things I never wanted are certainly going. On a bonfire if necessary.

EkwaNimitee Fri 12-Mar-21 21:30:53

My family, my health and having enough to live on. Living in a country that is democratic and upholds freedom of speech.

cornishpatsy Fri 12-Mar-21 22:00:21

Family, as everyone would say.

I realise how much I value a sense of Freedom. I am not big on travel or going out much but not being allowed too has made me feel trapped.

Lucca Fri 12-Mar-21 22:33:11

Well this evening for example I live streamed the royal ballet dancing a short ballet Elite Syncopations. I sat and grinned the whole way through at the wonderful choreography, costumes and Scott Joplin music.

Luckygirl Fri 12-Mar-21 22:51:01

Family
Friends
Music, music, music
Wide open spaces
Light interiors
Beautiful skies
Singing

nanna8 Fri 12-Mar-21 23:12:05

Your health, family, friends, security of housing, looking out at beautiful surroundings. Something to look forward to socially.

Judy54 Sat 13-Mar-21 14:07:42

Being alive and enjoying the world around me. Being loved, to love and to be loved is the most precious gift of all.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Mar-21 14:11:04

Family and friends and health foremost.

I shall never take my freedom for granted again, the freedom to visit, to go to dinner, to travel, to go to the theatre or cinema.

Kim19 Sat 13-Mar-21 14:15:44

First is my health which enables me to indulge in everything else which adds quality to my life. Secondly my few select friends and (unselected!) family. Thirdly all the social outlets and activities which are shared with the second because of the first. Yes I am SO grateful for all three.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 13-Mar-21 14:29:41

After one's health, family and friends I guess it's many of the little things which make life worth living - a nice cup of tea, a view of one's garden through the changing seasons and the ability to enjoy a good book and/or a creative hobby. Being thankful for these small everyday things.

foxie48 Sat 13-Mar-21 17:21:43

Good health! Without it everything loses it's shine.

Washerwoman Sat 13-Mar-21 17:26:52

Health,love and laughter.
Family,friends and food.
Nature,dogs and walking them out in it as long as I'm able.
The view from our house and the lovely garden DH and I have created.

AGAA4 Sat 13-Mar-21 17:27:57

First and foremost family and friends but other good things like a walk in the countryside, an interesting book, waking up to a sunny morning, a chat all make life worth living.

Blossoming Sat 13-Mar-21 18:11:55

Family.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 16-Mar-21 13:41:47

What really matters to me, such as family, friends, health, freedom and so on are very similar to those of you who have posted. I realised their importance before the pandemic of course, but not in such sharp focus as now, and that in the blink of an eye, I could lose them.

I wonder if your behaviour has changed in any way? I find that I try to be kinder, less reactive, and a more patient person, especially to OH smile and to actually show loved ones how much I care. I am not a touchy-feely person so this is quite hard for me.

Auntieflo Tue 16-Mar-21 15:33:51

Family, friends and health.
Especially my health as I suppose I have taken it for granted in the past, and this last few years I have lost so much.

hollysteers Tue 16-Mar-21 17:44:19

After the obvious things like health, family and friends, I believe work makes us happy. That is working at something we have a real interest in. Even if at times it might frustrate us, it is healthy to be applying oneself.
This lockdown has given me lots of time to do all the things I love, but the discipline of work makes my leisure time sweeter.

varian Tue 16-Mar-21 17:49:58

Human relationships and work (paid or voluntary), the opportunity to be creative and to appreciate what we have.

JaneJudge Tue 16-Mar-21 17:53:01

I was thinking this morning about what has made lockdown more bearable for me and I think it is living in a warm house with a cosy bedroom and nice bed and having good neighbours (and not living on top of one another) and having a lovely immediate family who has been used to living through adverse and difficult situations.

Patsy70 Tue 16-Mar-21 18:01:31

This is such a welcome, positive thread. I value, family, friends, good health, our pets, a comfortable, if modest, home, garden & gardening, local walks in the nearby woods & fields, cooking and eating tasty meals, a glass or two of wine, reading (a lot) and the many happy memories I have.

tinaf1 Tue 16-Mar-21 18:16:40

Family friends health obviously, but also just the freedom to be able to go where I want and not have too think about it, if anything I feel this last year has proved “stuff”doesn’t really matter that much.