Gransnet forums

Chat

Help me be a good Granny!

(36 Posts)
StillMedusa Tue 16-Mar-21 00:17:05

My lovely DD2 is expecting her first in a few weeks. She and her dh have lived with us for the last few years and finally moved into their own home a week ago (she has redecorated with DH's help and unpacked already..nesting!)

They are just 20 mins walk away, which is lovely as my eldest is a doctor 300 miles away and my no 2 went to Australia just before lockdown to be with his Aussie fiancee.. God I miss him, but he's happy and that's what matters! DS2 has autism will always live with us and is very excited to be an uncle soon!

I'm going to be helping with childcare when DD2's maternity ends as she and her Dh are nurses and I work part time in Special School.

I want to be supportive and am totally aware that it is their baby, their lives, and do not want to be the interfering mum/MIL. At the same time I know what a hell of a shock the reality of a baby is, and want to help as much as I can.

Any tips? (I'm new here having just hopped over from Mumsnet where I've been for many years)

Hithere Tue 16-Mar-21 12:18:19

Intentioned! Grammar mistakes galore today ?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 16-Mar-21 12:19:04

Congratulations!

My rule no..1 is never give advice unless asked for it!

I tell new parents that it is my intention to never to say "in my day we did such-and-such, but that I am happy to give an opinion or advice when I am asked for it."

Saying this in the early days saves a lot of trouble, I find.

In extension of this, I try not just to do things, but to ask, "would you like me to do the washing-up? or change the baby? or whatever is applicable.

Or say, if you like I could do the hoovering, sort the washing etc.

When her maternity leave is near its end, discuss with her what routine she would like you to keep to when you are looking after the little one, and try to keep to it.

It doesn't sound to me as if you will have any difficulties, but that may of course depend on what books on raising babies your daughter has been reading.

I had to bite my tongue very hard not to comment on keeping a child in nappies until he was nearly three and a half!

cornishpatsy Tue 16-Mar-21 12:21:05

Think back to when you had babies. There would have been things that you appreciated and things that annoyed you. Be guided by your own experiences.

B9exchange Tue 16-Mar-21 12:51:14

You have received such a lot of good advice above. Only you know your relationship with your daughter, and in general, it is so much easier with daughters than daughters in law!

Home cooked meals for the freezer I don't think would ever be wrong (unless you are a terrible cook, in which case order some in!) Other than that wait for your daughter to ask for help, and don't say 'no' no matter how bizarre the request, at least at first! Don't ever pick the baby up without asking first, and preferably wait to be offered a cuddle each time.

You have a wonderful time ahead of you. We have GC No 8 due next month, our eldest is 15, so we are learning all the time.

hazel93 Tue 16-Mar-21 12:56:53

Great advice here - as always !
My DS and DIL also live locally and although wanting to be involved from the moment my GD was born I waited to be invited.
Took roughly 48 hours !!
I prepared meals, sat there while Mum had a bath and/ or a nap, did the washing, listened to her without saying a word no matter what I was actually thinking. Never give advice unless requested !!!!
Really is the No. 1 rule.

Gorgeous GD is now 2 going on 12 and our relationship is a total joy, plus the fact my lovely DIL and I are as close as ever.

Nell8 Tue 16-Mar-21 14:37:39

Congratulations! I became a granny for the first time 5 months ago. The advice I received was "Keep your mouth shut and your purse open". I think I overdid the second bit. When a little girl was born into my family of men I went overboard choosing and buying lots of little outfits for her. I think my DiL might have found it a bit creepy! Thank goodness I've calmed down now.
I try to focus on the parents as individuals more too. It's not all about the baby!

The occasional bag of upmarket food seems to give them a lift, especially if it's easy to prepare.

My son and DiL are both control freaks. I think any unauthorised cushion plumping would be taken as criticism. (That lets lazy me off the hooksmile)

Good luck! I'm sure you will be a great help to the little family.

hulahoop Tue 16-Mar-21 15:31:54

Be guided by the parents just let them know you are their if needed. Some nice meals for freezer was appreciated by mine or watch baby while they have some alone time .Enjoy this next chapter of your life .

AGAA4 Tue 16-Mar-21 16:13:17

Lots of good advice here. All I will say is just enjoy your precious grandchild and be there when you are needed flowers

trisher Tue 16-Mar-21 16:22:27

Lots of lovely advice. You know your own DD so stick to the things you know she won't mind. If had cooked meals for my Dil she would have regarded it as criticism. Just let the parents decide and do what they ask you to. Practice deep breathing for when you feel you just have to tell them they're doing something wrong and say nothing

albertina Tue 16-Mar-21 18:28:58

You have lots of great advice here already. I was a long distance Grandma, but I think I understand your query.

Keeping quiet is a must, give advice only when asked ( unless you see your Grandchild is in danger)

My goodness things have changed since my elder daughter was born nearly 40 years ago, so the changes may be a bit of a surprise.

I am now living 2 miles from my Grandchild after most of her life 400 miles away. Things have changed dramatically as my daughter and her husband are fostering two teenage children. I am about to have three grandchildren.