Chat

Coloured garden fences

(55 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 16-Mar-21 16:17:58

If you have a garden fence which colour is it

timetogo2016 Sat 17-Apr-21 09:59:44

Same here Kim19.

nanna8 Sat 17-Apr-21 08:51:09

We just have a wire fence like a farm one but if I did have one it would be natural wood, I don’t really like coloured ones unless you are going for the white picket fence style. Not many houses where we are living have fences, it is very bushy.

Dottydots Thu 15-Apr-21 18:25:03

I wish I hadn't painted my fence dark green. It did look lovely to start with but I have to keep going over it every year. Both my next door neighbours have never painted their fences and I think they look fine.

LauraNorder Thu 15-Apr-21 18:04:37

Have added the Peter Vidgeon salvia to my shopping list. Nursery visit next week (that’ll be two weeks after my second jab) can’t wait.

merlotgran Thu 15-Apr-21 11:54:38

LauraNorder

We bought urban slate yesterday Merlotgran, have painted the posts already, there is a very slight purple tinge to the dark grey which matches the slate on our roof and window sills so I’m really pleased. I’ll post a photo in a week or two when we’ve finished painting and done some planting.
Thanks for posting the photos, it really helped the decision making.

That's great, LauraNorder. It's such a good background for plants, especially my pink 'Peter Vidgeon' salvia which would be lost against a paler colour.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 15-Apr-21 11:52:52

We have walls (which we unfortunately are responsible for). they are white in the back garden.
Where we often take the dog for a walk, We pass a lot of hourse that have their fences painted black and they look smart!

Party4 Thu 15-Apr-21 11:50:02

Whilst reading this would love to hear about your plant pot preference.We received a garden centre voucher for Xmas and have decided to replace pots at the front/doorway of house and put all odd colours scattered in the back.Visiting garden centres ( we have many nearby)they all stock the same.We just could not agree on which style/colour.The small bungalow is typical 1930s dark red brick.Would welcome thoughts and ideas please.

CafeAuLait Thu 15-Apr-21 11:04:22

Natural wood. Pine. Same as the Australian ones.

Witzend Thu 15-Apr-21 11:00:55

Wood-colour. But mostly covered by shrubs and climbers.

Whatever the experts may think or say, I’d hate anything black in my garden. If I were lumbered with it after a move, I’d be planting climbers PDQ to cover its utterly out of place look - at least in any garden of mine.

LauraNorder Thu 15-Apr-21 10:23:07

We bought urban slate yesterday Merlotgran, have painted the posts already, there is a very slight purple tinge to the dark grey which matches the slate on our roof and window sills so I’m really pleased. I’ll post a photo in a week or two when we’ve finished painting and done some planting.
Thanks for posting the photos, it really helped the decision making.

avitorl Thu 18-Mar-21 21:02:20

I don't think having a detached property is really necessary. The great thing about this fencing is it looks good from both sides so there isn't a bad side for anyone.
It does suit a detached bungalow though so I hope your dream comes truesmile

BlueSky Thu 18-Mar-21 18:37:55

Thanks Avitor obviously you need to be detached. Another plan for our retirement bungalow! Will have a look.

avitorl Thu 18-Mar-21 15:23:03

They are more expensive than wood but I think worth the extra if you can afford them.
I don't like the Green or Brown that they do but really like the Cream as it brightens up my garden and seems a bit like the sun is shining to me.
I think the Price is on their website.

BlueSky Thu 18-Mar-21 13:12:28

Thanks Avitor but are they really expensive?

avitorl Thu 18-Mar-21 12:06:37

Bluesky,my cream steel fence is the same as the Australian fences.It is available in the Uk and supplied by Colourfence. Unfortunately they are having problems with getting Cream colour due to Covid so I haven't been able to replace my wooden side fence with it yet.I absolutely love it and I promise I have no links with the Firm!

FlexibleFriend Thu 18-Mar-21 12:05:23

My fence is black, not that I can see much of it. It looks great and just disappears into the background behind the plants. My shed is light grey but it was painted a long time ago so I had to mix black paint with white ash until I got the colour I wanted.

Peasblossom Thu 18-Mar-21 10:19:30

Oh now I’m even more undecided. I really liked your fence merlotgran. Mine is south facing but it is a forty foot run along the back so we sit and look at it. Some pots with green plants could work well.

But I liked the light grey fence too. I’m pretty certain I don’t want a colour.

Light/dark, light/dark???????????

Ellianne Thu 18-Mar-21 10:11:23

And this is the Azure blue version, same paint.

henetha Thu 18-Mar-21 10:08:43

I used Cuprinol...the shade was autumn gold. (or something very similar, can't remember exactly).
It was a bit startling at first but has mellowed nicely.

Mollygo Thu 18-Mar-21 10:07:30

BigBertha1 Thanks for that. We bought ours in Home Bargains and it was one of those, “When it’s gone, it’s gone!” offers, like the middle of Lidl.

BigBertha1 Thu 18-Mar-21 09:58:10

It was Cuprinol and we bought it a warehouse type store called B & M- never been in there before and just got lucky I think. It was £19.99 the largest tin instead of £29.99 or I am told more in other stores.

BlueSky Thu 18-Mar-21 09:48:47

I like those long lasting panels like they have in Australia that don’t need paint and withstand tropical cyclones! nanna could tells us a bit more about them! We painted ours green to make it easy to match our neighbours. When (?) we move to our dream bungalow, we’ll paint them sky blue!

Ellianne Thu 18-Mar-21 09:30:40

By the way, this is one coat. It will get another.

Ellianne Thu 18-Mar-21 09:29:52

So as requested, here's a pale grey painted fence this weekend. It has lightened the garden no end and looks nice with the sun on it. Now for some planting.
Same make paint as the tin I photo ed earlier. Bird brand, delivered direct from manufacturer. Good quality, good value.

Mollygo Thu 18-Mar-21 09:29:13

BigBertha1 I know it won’t still be on offer, but what brand was your paint?