Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(81 Posts)
12Michael Thu 18-Mar-21 06:12:50

Good Morning Everyone,
Its light but looks dull outside and cold here in Brackley .
Yesterdays trip on the buses to Banbury to return my ECG monitor worked well .
And what was noticeable was the blackthorn blossom , which is not a good sign if saying is right .
I enjoyed the journey as I had a reason behind it , as Banbury like most places apart from food outlets very quiet .
Await the result of the monitor , mind next week have another trip in as to Glaucoma test .
Take Care,
Mick

Grandmafrench Thu 18-Mar-21 16:12:47

Nope ! Naughty girl - but feeling o.k. I hope. Just don't make me come over there and 'have a word'!!!!!!!

CherryCezzy Thu 18-Mar-21 16:02:55

Thank you Grandmafrench ?, I'd better not tell you I've been quite busy so far today then.

Naninka Thu 18-Mar-21 15:03:18

We've had patchy sunshine but I've had a bright warm feeling most of the day thanks to my beautiful grandchildren. So in love with them!!

Grandmafrench Thu 18-Mar-21 13:31:33

Your flamingo photo is so lovely, Dusty - and, a bit like sunflowers, every one of them is 'posing' in the same direction ? ! Glad you like the club idea. It's certainly one I would choose to join and I treasure all the comments and day to day life stories of the members here. Hope you're soldiering on and the weather is kind.

Forgot to say how proud you must be, Sar, but you've come back and said it. Just what a Mum needs, the sound voice of reason from a Daughter who will bravely put her health before any other anxiety. Without that, we're nothing really. Wishing her everything she wishes herself ?and lots of overdue hugs with her dear Mum before too long.

Have yourself an easy day, Cherry x Feel lots better soon, Susan - please! x

Nannagarra, you're very droll. What a clever way to hide some obvious Egg Vending Envy by staying in the Darling Buds of the 1950's. I'd definitely join you there now, I think. I'm sure with everything we're going through, we'd all find that just "perfick" ?

Gwen isn't admin-sorting the pits?! Hope your day is a lot more successful today ....and three cheers for your DH's 2nd jab?.

brook2704 Thu 18-Mar-21 12:57:45

Happy Birthday hulahoop enjoy your special day ???
What a strong brave DD you have Sar well done to her

dustyangel Thu 18-Mar-21 12:46:36

I love your idea that this is a sort of club Grandmafrench, a very supportive and interesting one too.
I meant to send ? for Georgesgran, thinking of you.

muse Thu 18-Mar-21 12:00:46

Sunny at 8:30 for doggy walk. Noticed the cherry plum about to burst forth with blossom. Had them 6 years and no fruit. Moved the 2 years ago.

Light cloud now - nearly midday. Need to get some much needed digging done outside. Far too much GN this morning. Will read everyone's news when back in at 2:00pm for lunch.
Little Jimny got through the MOT. Yippee.smile Not bad for a 12 yr old car that gets a rough time with land conditions here.

No text from son last night. Perhaps tonight.

Annapops Thu 18-Mar-21 11:40:58

Thinking of you Georgesgran at this very sad time for you and your family. thanks

CherryCezzy Thu 18-Mar-21 11:40:41

Thank you Nannagarra ?

I haven't had the same problem as you have getting onto gn Gingster but I have been having problems on and off for a few days and sometimes my posts won't send. A glitch somewhere I think.

flowers Auntieflo

Sar53 Thu 18-Mar-21 11:34:39

Thank you all for your lovely, kind comments about my daughter. I am so proud of her. She will never look the way she did but she is positive about the future. She has lots of supportive friends and family behind her. She has said 'rather I look like this than the alternative' . The hardest part has not being able to see her and give her a hug, hopefully at the end of May.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 18-Mar-21 11:16:58

Good Morning all from Grey Harrogate - well I've lost my first post (nothing new there). I have an empty, just for a short time. DH and DD! have taken dog for a walk, they will put the world to rights while they are out.
Spent a frustrating day yesterday with bank accounts, the laptop refused to acknowledge any of the passwords!! I spent the whole afternoon phoning their various helplines. Basically a payment I made I think was a scam so today I want to stop the payment being processed.

Oops, that's my Morrison's shopping arrived, and DH & DD
Georgesgran I hope you have friends who can support you for a while anyway
Dragonfly It must have been 20 years ago when we went to the Floriade - it was amazing, and our first trip to the Netherlands.

DH is going for his 2nd jab so I have to accompany him. Shopping strewn over the house!

Will try to pop back, keep safe and well everyone!

LauraNorder Thu 18-Mar-21 11:05:57

Good morning from drizzly Anglesey.
Very ?happy birthday ? Hoolahoop ??, hope it’s a lovely day for you.
??for Auntieflo, so brave.
??for Georgesgran, must have been some comfort that so many turned out to show their respect for your dear husband.
????for all in need of some calm or some cheer.
Lovely pictures of sheep, calm waters, countryside and flowers.
Thanks dustyangel for proving that random pink flamingos are there for us all, even in the oddest of places.
???????

Jaxjacky Thu 18-Mar-21 11:04:15

Checking back for updates, Happy Birthday hulahoop enjoy your day ??
Sar an heroic daughter, being very brave, confronting her fears and in a good way, helping others, bravo ?
Auntiflo doldrums, hoping you find a little boost from somewhere or something ?
And Marydoll I know you’re the techie whiz, so you’re aware of the pause key, might be an idea to use it now and then ?

Nannagarra Thu 18-Mar-21 10:57:02

You must be very posh north of where I live! An egg vending machine? What's that all about? Our local farmers sell eggs from benches on lanes and rely on honesty boxes. It's customary to donate empty egg boxes for recycling; one farmer provides a rusty old wheelbarrow for this very purpose. When I can finally move beyond my immediate area will I discover that no one else is living in the 1950s? wink

Sending a hug to Auntieflo. Sar53 your DD is a model of courage.
Thinking of you Georgesgran.
Hope you have a better night tonight, Cherry.
Happy birthday hulahoop.

Grandmafrench Thu 18-Mar-21 10:46:09

Good Morning every single one of you lovely folk.

Happy Birthday ??? hula.

I still pick up more positivity on this thread. Keep going, please. It’s becoming more of a struggle as we’ve learned, pretty much, to cope with the fear and the drama; but someone keeps moving the goalposts and it’s so hard to keep our chins up. Good to see Spring much nearer. I think Mick’s blackthorn comment was about there being loads of blossom which is supposed to signal a time of “blackthorn winter” - a late burst of nasty cold weather which can arrive unexpectedly and when all are picturing more balmy Spring days! ☹️ Let’s hope the country lore is wrong this year. Glad you’ve got to grips with all your necessary testing, Mick. Face the fear and do it anyway, should put an end to health anxieties.

Trying to remember posts! Oh dear : you’re a smashing friend, Amselerin. Glad your friend is safe, but she’s obviously not been aware as to how her health has deteriorated. Not going out and particularly not walking can never be a good thing as we age. She was so fortunate to have you on her case. And you don’t write to strangers. You put some of your thoughts, concerns, opinions and daily doings into a kind of Club Diary, where lots of others are doing the same. It becomes a kind of support group and, my goodness, how we benefit from all of that! Once those thoughts have an outlet, I’m sure we can all feel better.

Georgesgran, we’re all here for you, brave lady ??. You too Grammaretto. To Auntieflo, to all who are ill, struggling, grieving or afraid, an enormous group hug - with flowers on - is on its way from us all.

Hooray for Vaccine Day, sheep. Take it easy, both, for 24 hours if you can. Give yourselves a chance to avoid any after effects and maybe have the jab in the non-dominant arm? ? So love Pinchy’s red hose! You’re so good to give him a chance. Sad that you have to lose some. Your pic of a successful flock out in the field is lovely.

Watched the lovely Zeeland town tour, Ash. Made me quite sad when I focus on those sunny days of total freedom, just ‘to get up and go’. Very sad for your friends - needing to move and maybe go against what they’d planned.

Could it just be that the DH’s have been really de-stabilised by the pandemic, Gingster and Mary? They have possibly struggled more with confinement and they don’t have the same ‘wiring’ as us - which gives them the chance of a good ‘blether’, a right old moan, an unburdening of stress and fear and worry as we do? Maybe the feeling of total helplessness and lack of control over life is a harder pill to swallow for men? We just get on with ‘stuff’ - all the minutiae of a very restricted daily life - and let off steam or share the absurdities! Just a thought, but the worry is bound to be there that some of us might be changed forever. ☹️ And by the way, Mary, do you wear the special Fitbit watch that can shout ‘Siiiiiiit Downnn’? (Because you damn well should, you small relentlessly-doing, Glaswegian whirlwind, you! )

Last of the hedging today in glorious sunshine, ironing and dust shifting. My excuse for the latter is that the howling winds are swirling so much dust about that it even finds its way indoors. Witnessed an enormous cricket ? take off from a branch yesterday and get buffeted backwards into some leaves. He won’t want to try that again!

Have a good day - please try - whatever your circumstances.
Sending hugs and warm wishes. And above everything, stay safe. ????????‍♀️????

EllanVannin Thu 18-Mar-21 10:38:40

Good Morning All x.
Quite foggy first thing, which, once upon a time used to indicate heat ahead of us. You never know, we could have a decent summer.
I spend a good half hour with my builders tea listening to the resident robin singing its little heart out. Same time every morning---better than listening to the news. Then at the back of the house, the finch's and blue-tits are twittering.

I've been ordering some lily-of-the-valley plants to put in a tub rather than the ground where the slugs will get at them. I have to say that they are my favourite flower with their powerful scent.

Gingster I too had to sign in to G/N a couple of times yesterday, I don't know why. I highlighted Google as a way to get in and hey presto, but still don't know why it happens.

Not a lot on the agenda today , no shopping, got the bread and milk yesterday so I can relax now. Next trip to M&S will be just before Easter.

How brave of your DD, Sar, I sense positivity in what she did, so good for her. I admire that. It won't be long now before you'll see her.

All this palava is getting me down now and not having been anywhere to speak of is starting to affect the way I feel when we do get to go out and about. Wobbly legs and all that. I'll give myself a good talking to grin

Bacon,egg,tomato and potato fritters for dinner later. A pear for afters.

A day of reflection for Georgesgran after yesterday.flowers

Hope all is well for everyone, good to learn that Gagagran's DH is beginning to pick up, always a worrying time.

Have a good day everyone and stay safe.xx

Marydoll Thu 18-Mar-21 10:11:01

Sar53, I must have missed the post about your daughter, you must be very proud of her.

hulahoop, I hope you have a lovely day!

CherryCezzy Thu 18-Mar-21 10:07:15

PS. loving the pictures today ?

CherryCezzy Thu 18-Mar-21 10:06:11

Good morning all from a grey but not unpleasant morning in the Gower.

I didn't get to go on my walk Lins since, typically ? I had a seizure just as we were getting ready to go. Drat!
Got the horrid brain fog today, grr.

Sorry to hear you're still not feeling 100% Susan. Yes, let your DH take the reins today. Thanks for your well wishes, I wish I could say I did but with the extra meds I will be taking the evening I should have a better night tonight ☺️

Georgesgran, I hope it was a comfort to you yesterday that so many people came to pay their respects to your DH. I hope someone is with you today. It is very thoughtful of you to post today ?

Happy birthday hulahoop ? ?.

? for everyone feeling under the weather.
Take care everyone and be kind to yourselves ❤️

dustyangel Thu 18-Mar-21 09:58:24

Good morning everyone, another sunny day today. I just had to show you what came up on my iPad just as I was shutting it down last night. It felt quite eerie. I’m glad that you are feeling a bit better today Bellas.
Now I will go and catch up as much as I can with you all before our morning visitor arrives.

Stilllearning Thu 18-Mar-21 09:52:05

Morning from S Lanarkshire where the sun has put his hat on, hip hip hip hooray! Yesterday was lovely too, we are quite spoilt.
Unusually I acted fast after Nicola announced changes of dates on Tuesday and managed to book a hair appointment for 7th April, thank goodness, my hair is, as they say, ‘a sight’!
I have passed that egg vending machine too baubles, no eggs left then either.
I am full of admiration for your brave girl Sar53, strength to both of you.
A badly needed tidy up today and a good walk later is the plan and good wishes to all.

Pantglas2 Thu 18-Mar-21 09:51:41

Just popping back to with happy birthday wishes to Hulahoop and some ? for Georgesgran at this sad time.

Oh....and to say ‘I told you so’ to miss Marydoll - methinks you’re not meant for a quiet life......?

grandMattie Thu 18-Mar-21 09:48:27

GrannySomerset, the last time I lost my garage remote, I found it had slipped inside the boot I was wearing! grin Have you looked there?

Urmstongran Thu 18-Mar-21 09:43:20

You do realise GrannySomerset that your replacement remote will arrive and then the original will turn up!

I assume you’ve checked inside your car?

Grandmabatty Thu 18-Mar-21 09:42:03

Happy birthday Hulahoop have a lovely day. Sar you must feel very proud of your brave girl. Marydoll could your dh be worrying about you or have a health concern he isn't sharing?