Gransnet forums

Chat

Gross gross gross- we have a mouse plague in Melbourne

(35 Posts)
grandmajet Fri 19-Mar-21 16:21:34

Apparently a mouse can produce 300 babies in her lifetime. I thought I was a bit extreme with 4!

grandmajet Fri 19-Mar-21 16:18:51

I’ve got the creeps now, and I thought I liked mice!
I remember the ladybirds too, WWM, back in 1976 I think, during the drought. They were hungry and bit me!

AGAA4 Fri 19-Mar-21 16:14:39

We had a plague of mice in the old building we live in. We took a contract out on them and they have gone.
The extermination contractor comes out every few months to check they haven't returned.

NellG Fri 19-Mar-21 15:58:30

The worst thing we get is a day of flying ants once a year. Having said that I do see a lot more rats about these days.

infoman Fri 19-Mar-21 15:53:48

BBC are reporting the infestation at Gilgandra which is North of Dubbo in New south Wales.
What part of Melbourne is the infestation happening?

eazybee Fri 19-Mar-21 12:15:41

I heard that on the news this morning and it sounded like a horror movie. Not as bad as The Plague of the Killer Tomatoes, but even so!

JaneJudge Fri 19-Mar-21 12:13:57

We have a huge problem atm rurally here with rats and mice, much more than usual. My husband was saying it is to do with lockdown?? but how can it be? Surely we are always more or less quiet in the country wink they have tunnelled all over my garden and I am quite fed up of it. I think I have managed to get rid of the mice though out of the outbuildings

They don't like wire wool or glass. You can put broken glass down in places to stop them coming in too

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Mar-21 12:10:34

Get a cat and terrier? keep them busy and happy.

The only plague I can remember was of lady birds - so not a bad one to have.

The U.K. is so devoid of biodiversity that this phenomenon of a plague of anything is highly unlikely.

Peasblossom Fri 19-Mar-21 12:09:45

No, I don’t want to hear that. Two years ago I finally got to Australia and loved it. Doubly loved Melbourne? It was only the thought of the wineries that got me to move on?

I’m not going to hear a word against it.

nanna8 Fri 19-Mar-21 12:06:17

I was watching the news just now and it showed hundreds and hundreds of little mice rampaging through shops and houses. They haven’t reached the area we live in yet but I remember well around 10 years or so ago they got into our house. They eat everything including plastic and wool. We found they don’t actually like wire wool so you can try to block their holes with this. They have become immune to poison and they are too numerous for traps.
One year we had a plague of millipedes, once we had wasps. Have you experienced any of these plagues? In the north they get cane toads ,horrible things. Joys of living here I guess.