Gransnet forums

Chat

Odd Easter suggestion from the vicar. (Longish post - sorry!)

(47 Posts)
Katek Sat 20-Mar-21 21:42:21

Our village is busy organising a visit from the Easter bunny to hand out eggs to all the local children. Plans are going well and it’s going to be a bit if a treat for the kids. Our new-ish vicar is very keen to become involved in village activities which is great, the church should be part of the community. Last week, however, the organisers received an email with his idea for participating in our Easter bunny event. We are all taken aback to put it mildly. None of us have ever heard a suggestion like this. I’ve included an extract from his email and I’m just wondering what others think about it. We just don’t know what to do! Sorry for the length.

=On Easter Sunday, churches celebrate Jesus’ resurrection. Early in the morning, his tomb was discovered empty with the great stone rolled away. His friends and followers then physically encountered him on several different occasions. The Christian belief is that Jesus was the Son of God and he overcame death and rose to new life. A symbol of Easter Sunday is an egg. Shaped like the stone that was rolled away, eggs are sometimes rolled down a hill. An egg also symbolises new life. Eggs are often decorated to remind us of the new life within.
There is another way of celebrating Easter – making a mummy!

The ancient Egyptians believe that the pharaohs bodies needed to be preserved – mummified – and surrounded by goods they may need in the afterlife were placed in great pyramids or elaborate tombs. This is different from the Christian belief that like Jesus we will each receive a new resurrection body in eternity.
How to make a mummy!
You need 2 toilet rolls, some Sellotape, and a willing volunteer!
Carefully use the toilet roll as a bandage to wrap the willing volunteer up like an ancient Egyptian mummy, making sure that you leave the mouth and nose clear to they can breathe! Use small pieces of Sellotape to join the ends of the toilet roll together.
Who can make the best mummy? Why not share your creations on the ***********”

Calendargirl Sun 21-Mar-21 07:46:20

You say he is a ‘newish’ vicar. I think they are so keen to boost attendance that they come up with ideas to attract young families and children, and this is one of them.

We have a ‘newish’ vicar as well. He’s had a bad start, coming in at Covid time, but some of the new ideas don’t go down well with the oldies.

On another tack, participation in online services has increased in Lockdown, whether that will result in more worshippers remains to be seen. Looking at a computer screen for half an hour is different to attending a real life service, much easier.

⛪️

Jillyjosie Sun 21-Mar-21 08:21:47

Has it occurred to anyone that Jesus was wrapped in a shroud which was discarded when he resurrected. The discarded shroud has become the Turin Shroud.

Polarbear2 Sun 21-Mar-21 08:29:48

Sounds like he’s being sarcastic to me. ?‍♀️

Anniebach Sun 21-Mar-21 08:44:18

Christ’s body wasn’t mummified

geekesse Sun 21-Mar-21 09:27:59

Was your ‘new-ish vicar’ a primary school teacher in previous life?

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 21-Mar-21 09:33:18

He says that it’s ‘different from the Christian belief’ so why would he want to do it then? Whatever will he come up with next if he is ‘trying out’ other religions and their rituals?

It’s creepy and should be saved for adults and fancy dress parties.

Gingster Sun 21-Mar-21 09:37:27

I think he’s just trying to think of something a bit unusual, to make some fun for the children. A bit odd though ?

Katek Sun 21-Mar-21 10:14:57

It was almost understandable when we spoke to him - sort of Christians don’t need to be mummified as they will be resurrected, so let’s be mummies to show that we don’t need to be? confused (I did say it was only almost understandable!) Our event is outdoors with booked time slots to meet Mr Bunny and his helpers (all suitably masked/gloved) Sort of an Easter grotto IYSWIM? I realise the rabbit isn’t part of the Christian ethos but I always thought that the eggs symbolised the rolling away of the stone from the sepulchre? The bunny came later as spring rites became conflated with Christian beliefs. We just want to cheer everyone up!

Aveline Sun 21-Mar-21 10:27:31

That's the whole point Katek. Just a bit of spring fun for youngsters. No need to involve that minister at all. The village is lucky to have you organising these community activities.

nanna8 Sun 21-Mar-21 10:36:45

Brahumbug

"Obviously he doesn’t read his bible much."
To be fair, nobody reads their bible much, or they would be horrified by the contents?. As for blasphemy, Easter eggs are definitely blasphemous in a Christian context.

Yes they do. You are so wrong there. I would say all the people where I go to church read the bible daily and the church I used to go to ( baptist) the same. L

Sago Sun 21-Mar-21 10:43:51

I think this is woke behaviour.
He wants to give a nod to other religions and cultures so he doesn’t come across as too Christian.

Silly man.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 21-Mar-21 10:50:40

A bit of a waste of loo rolls, but a bit of fun ([providing the day is dry?)

Ailidh Sun 21-Mar-21 10:54:14

Sounds fun to me!

Blossoming Sun 21-Mar-21 19:18:33

It would make a great headline though - “New Vicar in Egyptian Death Cult Shocker” grin

Katek Sun 21-Mar-21 19:24:28

Hahaha! ?? The red tops would love it!

GrannyRose15 Sun 21-Mar-21 19:27:09

PamelaJ1

Well we are supposed to be getting more inclusive aren’t we?
At least he’s doing something.
Grannyrose, the children can’t go to church can they? We still aren’t having services in our church.

I was talking about next year. If the vicar is still in post. Not a given I'd say.

GrannyRose15 Sun 21-Mar-21 19:28:33

Seems to me he is trying a little too hard to be trendy.

trisher Sun 21-Mar-21 20:08:07

I thought it was funny! Not absolutely sure it was meant to be, but it made me laugh. I especially liked the bit about leaving their mouth and nose clear so they could breathe. Perhaps he's hoping to appeal to people like me who don't go to church and aren't Christians. I also think kids love being mummies. So just a bit of fun.

lemongrove Sun 21-Mar-21 20:31:03

Maggiemaybe

Or perhaps he didn’t mean to press send until 1 April?

?
Has this vicar still got his L plates on?

lemongrove Sun 21-Mar-21 20:32:33

Hope nobody finds their ancient Dad wrapped up in his chair!Never mind Mummy?

simtib Sun 21-Mar-21 20:54:47

He is just introducing you slowly to a bit of bondage. He will telling you about the Romans wearing black leather and carrying whips when he talks about Whitsun.