Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming and supportive kitchen for kindly folk...

(1001 Posts)
soop Tue 23-Mar-21 12:57:16

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good friends and jolly good company.

Welcome. Take a seat and enjoy our opening day celebration.

muse Fri 09-Apr-21 20:18:41

GrandmaFrench. It's lovely to be remembered. Thank you. I wonder if it's a location problem with GN. I've been on and off today with no problems. I love your long and witty postings. I too have wondered about Urm these past few days. She said a short break. I had to pull Mya away from a hole she was digging today. Goodness knows what she would have pulled out. Glad your Chloe and Ludo are better.

soop You are such a brave lady. Admire your outlook on life. I hope the hospital will be a worthwhile journey. What a long way. Glad the end of decorating is very close. Well done. ?A big Cornish hug for you.

GrannyGravy13 Sorry to read you're getting a reaction to the 2nd pfizer vaccination. Was the first the same? Feet up tomorrow flowers.

Take care everyone.

grannysyb Fri 09-Apr-21 20:21:44

So sorry to hear this Soop, hope there physio helps a little bit.

Hellogirl1 Fri 09-Apr-21 20:26:40

So sorry that your news wasn`t better Soop, hopefully your trip to Paisley will be more fruitful.
CharleyG, I agree. Sad though the D of E`s death is, it really shouldn`t warrant blanket coverage on all channels for hours on end. Especially as it`s all being repeated over and over ad infinitum.
Maw, if you`re reading this, I will reply as soon as I know I can get to the postbox.
TOYA x

Callistemon Fri 09-Apr-21 20:54:58

soop
flowers

Callistemon Fri 09-Apr-21 20:57:59

I had my 2nd Pfizer jab last night and I am beginning to feel decidedly off
Grannygravy
I felt very off after my 2nd Pfizer jab, better now after 3 weeks, but it's better than the alternative possibility.

mrshat Fri 09-Apr-21 21:05:17

Soop so sorry the outcome from your consultation was not as you had hoped. Hugs from me and positive vibes. Despite the journey, do visit the physio and see what she has to offer. Every little helps as some TV ad or other keeps saying grinflowers. Look after yourself x

Bellanonna Fri 09-Apr-21 21:11:35

Dear soop, I’m so sorry the news was not more positive. As someone before said, you are a great role model. If it means the long journey to Paisley, then go and make a day of it. There must be another fish and chip shop on the way. Have an enjoyable day out, with some physio input which will hopefully help you to feel some improvement. Sounds like life’s being a bit if a bitch at the moment ?

cornergran Fri 09-Apr-21 21:15:27

Oh blimey soop, not the news you wanted. Sometimes life just throws custard pies and we have to work hard to throw them back. Can only hope your trip to physio can be combined with something pleasant and physio will help. A hug from me.

annodomini Fri 09-Apr-21 21:28:28

Charleygirl, I agree 100%with you. No disrespect to the DofE, but there is only so much I can take of everyone who ever met him being hauled in to say something. I'm fairly sure that I saw Giles Brandreth on BBC and ITV. I took refuge on Classic FM, but it played nothing but the slow movements of every concerto and symphony. Time to call it a night. moon

Yiayia4 Fri 09-Apr-21 21:48:31

Agree Charliegirl I’m doing my diamond art and DH asleep he’s very tired after second jab yesterday.

Lins1066 Sat 10-Apr-21 00:14:16

I'm sorry you didn't have better news soop, you've been through enough and deserve better. If you have to travel to a physio, so be it.

Best wishes to Maw if she's reading.
TOYA

kittylester Sat 10-Apr-21 09:27:10

And today seems to be heading in the direction of wall to wall DofE again if BBC Breakfast is anything to go by.

Izabella Sat 10-Apr-21 09:29:49

Good morning from a sunny but rather chilly Shire. I apologise for having absolutely no idea what has transpired in this comfortable refuge during my absence , but hope members of soops kitchen have not had too much to contend with and are looking forward to summer.

Things have been rather fraught for a few weeks with current husband getting two red letter referrals to hospital, a colonoscopy, biopsies, x rays, removal of various pieces of tissue, I could go on ......... His eye operation, although successful for the macular hole is now clouding rapidly with a cataract (to be expected) but another buggeration for him. He has not slept in a bed for several weeks due to excruciating hip pain despite analgesia. But life goes on and as with everyone else there is always a positive somewhere. So my carer is now being cared for by the extended household and we await developments.

I will endeavour to play catch-up, "meet" any newbies (welcome) and generally give the impression (at least) that I know what is going on!

I hope not to dwell on my own problems. Suffice to say there are good and bad days. As a supporter and fund raiser of Alzheimers research I thought I would share the following link. It gives a graphic and memorable description of what I, and thousands of others face in the future, and hopefully mayu well help any carers out there. I am unsure if kittylester has posted it before - she may well have done.

www.facebook.com/AlzheimersResearchUK/videos/1093258844025641/

I am now taking coffee and a warm coat into the garden to listen, observe and wonder at nature and hopefully gain some peace in my own garden refuge before the farm machinery revs up!

TOYA

annodomini Sat 10-Apr-21 10:43:44

Izabella, it's so good to see you posting here. I'm so sorry that your CH is having a hard time and so much pain with his hip. To that, at least, I can relate. All the testing, biopsies and so on must be trying for him, and, by extension, for you. I hope you aren't frozen in your garden, you would be if you were here!
Would you believe it, it's snowing hard in North Cheshire and it's started to settle. The nearby conifer trees look like Christmas trees that have been sprayed to look authentic, only these are authentic.
Last night, I went to bed early with a book, hoping to escape the DofE coverage on BBC and ITV, asked Alexa to play Classic FM and what did I hear? A Requiem. However, my DiL posted a photo on FB, showing my DGD on top of a hill, her arms outspread in triumph, having completed her DofE gold award, and captioned it, "If it hadn't been for the DofE, this picture would never have existed". That was a life-changing scheme for so many people, many of whom are now middle-aged or even elderly. Because of it, my DGD also gained a Civic Award for her voluntary work with Cubs.

soop Sat 10-Apr-21 12:58:17

A very quick message from sunny, chilly Kintyre...the black pussy cat is back. Slept in her apartment. Has had a hearty breakfast and lunch.

In middle of teak-oiling the garden bench. Hands and feet like blocks of ice. Will warm up and finish outdoor jobs. Finish bits and bobs inside the house. Return to read through all your messages later this afternoon. sunshine

dragonfly46 Sat 10-Apr-21 14:01:19

So sorry to read your news soop but as usual you remain upbeat. Happy the black pussy cat is back.

Isabella lovely to see you posting but sorry to hear about CH's pain. Tests are never nice and worrying.

I do hope we get something else on TV tonight. I love the Duke but enough is enough especially as they are repeating themselves.

Charleygirl5 Sat 10-Apr-21 14:02:59

soop she really is a minx knowing as I have said before, she is well aware of a hearty meal as and when she deigns to show her face. Secretly I am pleased to hear she has returned.

I switched on the TV mid-morning and it was showing exactly what was on last night. I had to go out to buy a loaf of bread, turned on LBC and again Prince Philip was being discussed. I switched it off. I really cannot take much more of it. It will be repeated ad infinitum on the day of the funeral.

Grandmafrench Sat 10-Apr-21 14:06:41

Soop - there, she’s sorry she caused more anxiety. ?‍⬛
Take it easy, please dragonfly x
Izabella sorry to learn that your Handsome Prince is in pain and worrying you. So glad you have help and support. Wishing him well....and soon ?

BladeAnnie Sat 10-Apr-21 15:41:24

soop I'm sorry you didn't get better news yesterday flowers. I think our posts crossed yesterday afternoon and I've only just been back to the kitchen. Sending you lots of love

Puzzler61 Sat 10-Apr-21 16:25:26

I hope that seeing the little black furry face again gave you some joy soop.
Hello to all kitchen friends. Sending warm thoughts to Izabella whose daily life is so difficult. I hope you get some respite soon.
annodomini please keep the snow in Cheshire - do not send it south. ? We had it already last week. You must be so proud of your DGD, what a heartwarming story. There are many to be told by the children and young adults who enrolled on Duke of Edinburgh schemes and I’m sure we’ll hear about more as the weeks go on.
Wishing you all a good evening. I’m sure Grandmafrench will be along soon to tell us about a heatwave she has had today while we are all chilled to the marrow again.? ??
Did anyone else read about the frosts across Bordeaux, Burgundy and the Rhone valley where all the buds on the vines have been killed off and the French government will be compensating Vineyard owners?

soop Sat 10-Apr-21 16:32:38

A day spent doing more inside and outside decorating. Have tidied the stuff away and swept. Now I am back to try my hardest to read through your latest messages.

I agree with many of our Kitcheners. I like and respect the Duke of Edinburgh, however, I feel that a television programme from time to time (not repeated over and over) would be a much more balanced tribute to him.

Grandmafrench Sat 10-Apr-21 17:09:32

Heatwaves existent pas today, sorry Puzzler. We're hardly cold but the wind and the rain are just a bit tiresome. I have brought ginger biscuits to the Kitchen for you all - make your own cuppas.....(she said, gracelessly), well I know how fussy you all are about your tea. I know I am !

That cat is a proper Minxter, and really takes advantage of the Soops' good natures. She seems do favour regal visits at weekends, or is that my imagination? I shall suggest that her overworked and frazzled foster parents start marking the calendar in case there's a pattern. This will probably have to wait until soop returns and catches up and feels sufficiently revived to even think about it. I hope you're pleased with all the the painting - did I not say that Modom would probably appear once the work was completed ?

Yes, the frost has wrecked some vineyards again. The year before last our friends' Son lost so much, despite lighting fires and trying to wrap everything up. The Government did pay out compensation, but this year again, the cold has struck elsewhere.

Tomorrow's another day - hope your Today has been acceptable and tomorrow will be lots better, with sunshine to match. Keep safe, keep soldiering on...
xx

soop Sat 10-Apr-21 17:13:27

BladeAnnie I am excited to hear news of the wedding day to come. Has my invitation gone on walkabout? Just asking. wink

Baggs I like all "breeds" of bluebells. My favourites are the droopy variety.
I understand that you wacked your head and had a mighty bleed as a result. Well done, Mr Baggs for administering tender loving care. Scalps certainly bleed profusely. x

Grandmabatty Good news to hear that your son-in-law has a new job to look forward to. It would help enormously if the antibiotics manage to clear up whatever infection is causing him to feel under par.
A holiday with them in Spain next year would give you something special to look forward to.
As for crocosmia, in spite of removing scores of bulbs at this time last year, the blighters have decided to teach me that they know best. Once again, the garden is riddled with them.

annsixty I understand how you are feeling about your friends moving away. It is unsettling for you. The new neighbour may well be someone with whom you are able to cultivate a friendship. New beginnings can be a good thing.
You will have had your vaccination. That too is a plus.
Better still, your daughter and grandchild are planning to visit you. May 30th will be a red letter day. grin

Grandmafrench More good news regarding the getting better Chloe and also that little dog, Ludo, is also feeling more pucker. Have we seen a photo? If not, please share with us. The pampered pet gallery is always happy to hang a new portrait or two.

I also want to say a big thank you ALL for your kind messages re the "drop bot". I have decided to keep whatever appointment I'm given for physio. The pelvic area has undergone so many operations and investigations - total hysterectomy, removal of appendix, two femoral hernias and anterior/posterior ventral suspension. There is little more that my inners can cope with. I remain positive. Your support helps enormously.

dustyangel Sat 10-Apr-21 17:17:29

Dear soop I congratulate you on doing so much decorating at the moment, I’m amazed at the hard work you’ve put in and hope that it is not too much for you. I like the idea of a Paprika red front door.
I’m sorry the hospital weren’t able to be more helpful but if it means going to Paisley then it has to be tried. Have an adventure, a day out is rare at the moment and although tiring there is usually the opportunity for cake some where along the way.

We had an adventure this afternoon. Returning from our first vaccine,(a surprise phone call yesterday), we met two of the small horses one of our neighbours owns coming towards us. We’d passed the entrance to their drive but waited to see what would happen and sure enough they turned in. Shock, horror the gate had shut behind them and they were about to carry on and explore a bit further. Nothing for it but to persuade them to reverse tracks and we found the side gate they must have got through. DH got the larger one in but the smaller definitely didn’t want to. Surprising how solid a animal that only comes up to my waist can be. I slapped it on the rump but apart from clouds of dust it made no difference. It was determined not to take the last few steps. DH had to come out from where he’d been keeping their gate open and heave with me. When we left them they were looking for a way out again!
I left a message on their very indistinct gate phone but will put a note in their post box at the end of the road tomorrow.

Was it Yiayia who posted the photo of Boris and friend earlier? If I I go to look I’ll lost this post.
We used to have a Dalmatian when I was about ten. He was a beautiful dog but like all hounds needed an awful lot of exercise. My father had permission to take him on the golf course for an hour or more everyday.

dustyangel Sat 10-Apr-21 17:21:03

I meant to say that I’m glad that Fern has put her paws in again. She sounds like the dog we do not own. Only comes when she wants something to eat. Definitely using us, and we love it.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion