Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming and supportive kitchen for kindly folk...

(1001 Posts)
soop Tue 23-Mar-21 12:57:16

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good friends and jolly good company.

Welcome. Take a seat and enjoy our opening day celebration.

BladeAnnie Mon 12-Apr-21 17:31:40

Good afternoon kitcheners - just quickly popping in to say hello after having garden drinks with friends. Started to turn a little chilly now so time to think about dinner. Sending virtual hugs to all in need of a little comfort

Nannytopsy Mon 12-Apr-21 17:50:34

What a quiet kitchen! Are you all out carousing at the pub? I have been to an outdoor plant auction where I spent too much! DD will benefit from lupins, hellebores, geums ...
We have been stood down from child care - phew! Instead, I have started the ironing. Deep joy.
Hope everyone is well and happy.

Jaxjacky Mon 12-Apr-21 17:54:34

Hello kitchen people, two tortuous phone call made today, one to the bank, the other National Savings, lots of password and other prep before I hung on for the joyless music. It was my voluntary day sorting out mainly hospital lifts for those who requested them. I had an horrendous nose bleed last night, totally threw me with my health anxiety, I had it cauterised two years ago and have requested it again. I only sneezed twice, that was it, now I’m scared to sniff or blow at all while it clots, so I want to do both, preferably blow, of course, so I did little but admin today My football team are on at 6, so I’ll throw a quiche in the oven in a while, chips and marrowfat peas. I’ll pop back in to catch up later.

Susan56 Mon 12-Apr-21 17:55:07

My big news of the day is I have had my hair cut and coloured?I had actually thought my hair looked ok but have to say it looks a lot better now!

DH has got the onions,potatoes and carrots planted in the veg patch and tomatoes I started in the greenhouse.

Hope everyone is ok, as Nannytopsy say it’s a very quiet kitchen today.

TOYA

dragonfly46 Mon 12-Apr-21 18:12:07

Susan pleased to hear you got your hair done. I have two more sleeps!

Nannytopsy Mon 12-Apr-21 18:33:35

I have 3 more sleeps until my haircut dragonfly ?

Puzzler61 Mon 12-Apr-21 18:38:51

Good afternoon everyone.
No pub for me today Nannytopsy. Like Susan I have had a haircut at the salon. What a pleasure it was.
Now sitting in the kitchen watching the chilli con carne bubble away. Jacket potatoes will go with it when it’s ready.
Having a trip out for the said haircut has given me an appetite!
Jaxjacky what a horrid thing to happen? Hope your nosebleed is over now and you begin to feel your confidence about blowing your nose come back.
TOYA.

brook2704 Mon 12-Apr-21 19:04:23

Oooh good news about the haircuts susan and puzzler and not long to wait dragonfly and nannytopsy* My long awaited hair appointment is next week and it can’t come soon enough..... it really makes you feel better I think when it’s done.
Sounds like you’ve had a busy day jaxj and hope you’ve no further problems with your nose
DGC back here tonight for another sleepover so will pop back later when they’re in bed ?

Yiayia4 Mon 12-Apr-21 21:05:47

Great news haircuts all round mine on Thursday I manage it o.k but will be nice to get the colour done.
Speak tomorrow sleep well and stay safe everyone.

Jaxjacky Mon 12-Apr-21 21:58:13

A very quiet kitchen, everyone worn out with their little sniff of freedom I wonder. Thank you for your concern, ? a ok at the moment. My football team were appalling.
Catch you tomorrow, sleep tight.
panache

Synonymous Tue 13-Apr-21 11:33:27

Good morning kitcheners, just popping in to say hello and apologise for being awol.
I haven’t managed to keep up or catch up with everything so I hope everyone is keeping safe and well.
I am taking Himself to the surgery for our 2nd jabs shortly so another step closer to getting back to normality and perhaps to be able to see friends and family soon.

Himself has had a bit of a time of it of late and by extension of course both myself and DD too. The PTSD has taken on a different aspect and while the reliving of traumatic events is less the mood swings have been difficult to deal with. Discovered yesterday that DH has turned down on line appointments with the mental health team and of course we can’t make him accept anything he doesn’t want but I do wish he had discussed it with us first as he will go to back of the queue again if he changes his mind. He insists he is not mad as if anybody has even suggested such a thing. sad I am in the process of trying to talk to someone who can give me and DD coping strategies but everything takes such a long time.

We have been waiting for ages for the alterations to the house to be done but at long last they have started. Himself is not dealing with anything very well and actually seems to be obstructing all that I am trying to do so I am very thankful to have DD here. I have not asked how long it will all take!
The noise is incredible currently and even my teeth are aching with all the drilling of concrete the builders are doing atm. In addition to that the repairman turned up to fix the oven and grill, the groceries have just arrived and are stashed in the hall as I can’t get into the kitchen and the grass cutter is here! Himself has insisted on going through all the workmen and their gear into the garage to cut kindling so I am taking refuge in my bedroom! And Breathe!!!

soop Tue 13-Apr-21 17:42:16

My sincere apologies to you lovely lot for my long absence. I've been busy all day yesterday and thus far today doing some gardening and a great deal of outdoor painting. At five o'clock, just as I was gathering together all the paint paraphernalia shock I knocked over the tin of Ronseal...all over the entrance hall mat, all over sheets that I'd placed down on Mr Soop's newly treated wood flooring...everything close by was dripping wet. I've been busy clearing up the mess. I now have to bin a whole pile of stuff that the Ronseal has soaked into. Then, I discovered that the lid had vanished into the bottom of the soggy mass ready to be binned. Up to my elbows in buggeration until I located the blasted thing. Almost cleaned up. Just myself to deal with . I shall come into the kitchen after
breakfast time tomorrow. That way I shall have time to catch up with you.. I am ponging, thanks to lashings of turps. Not at all lady-like.

Photo taken recently of a gull that thinks it is a Cormorant.

Night night. Please take care. smile moon

Grandmabatty Tue 13-Apr-21 18:55:17

Good evening kitcheners. I haven't posted for a couple of days as I was feeling glum and generally out of sorts. The last two days have been babysitting ones and have helped my low mood. Dgs is very affectionate at the moment and has taken to sitting beside me and 'coorying in'. We have been at the park both days and played in the garden too. Dsil started his new job today so that's good too. Soop! What a disaster! I hope you have a break this evening. Have a good evening all.

Jaxjacky Tue 13-Apr-21 19:20:18

Oh dear soop and it was going so well, eau du turps not a good scent, you’ll be scrubbed and up and sorted by now I hope. Synonomous I don’t think we've ‘met’, your life sounds very hectic and with tough circumstances, you must be very tolerant and kind. I’m hoping your house has calmed a little by now and you can have a quieter evening.
Well, the garden men have been, dug out roots with all manner of other detritus, composted with aged horse poo and it looks good to go. I’m hoping I’ve found a treasure, he’s taken my planting list to source wholesale, will return when he’s done, help me plant, advise and return later in the year to see how it’s all doing. If I have found such a being, I’m hanging on to him, metaphorically that is! I’ve never planned a decorative garden before, it’s always been veg, time will tell.
Have a gentle evening all.
panache thoughts are with you.

mrshat Tue 13-Apr-21 19:33:54

Hair cut today! Feeling a lot better. Take care all flowers

muse Tue 13-Apr-21 19:50:28

Missed you all yesterday. I did my usual visit to Mick's but then Monday became a very full day. Finally ventured out in the garden after the severe frost disappeared.

It's been quiet in the kitchen lately. I wonder if everyone is shattered from their ventures out and beyond.

soop what a catastrophe. A little more than a dab behind each ear grin.
Jaxjacky. What a find. Handcuff him to the garden gate. I could do with some of the smelly stuff when the raised beds are up and in need of enrichment.
Grandmabatty. Glad the Dgs has lifted the fog. Cuddles with the littles are great.
Welcome Synonymous. I'm relatively new to the kitchen. Started coming in the New Year. That's an avalanche of events for one day. I should stay in the bedroom. Good book and a drink?

Lots of new hair dos. Mine in 3 weeks. We have our 2nd pfizer vaccination on Saturday. 11 weeks since the 1st. Hoping it's a fine day and we can stay out for some lunch somewhere. Going to ring our favourite beach restaurant (old lifeboat station). They have lot of tables outside. Mya is always welcome there. They give her a huge doggy biscuit.

Have a restful evening all. wine

Nothing from dear son. I've sent one text but will ring him tonight.

dustyangel Tue 13-Apr-21 20:02:13

Oh soop I saw your post and thought how lovely to live that close to the sea and then read the rest of your post and the buggeration to befall you. An easy thing to do especially when you’re tired. Well it would be to me anyway!
Put your feet up and have a nice rest, maybe an emergency gin and tonic is called for.wink

annodomini Tue 13-Apr-21 20:12:44

Haircut a week today. Before that...the dentist. Oh well, needs must.
Syn, it's good to have you here again. You sound so frustrated what with work on the house, noise and dust. So it was a good idea to come on here and 'let it all hang out', as it were.
DS1 was 50 today which I must admit makes me feel elderly. His partner has got him a cake depicting a swimming pool with an image of him (beard and all) throwing a water polo ball. When I was 80 in November, we couldn't have a family party and had hoped to be able to have a joint one now, but no such luck. However, I've had my second jab, he's had his first and DS2 and partner are in the new group to be vaccinated. We hope for a 'do' in the summer.

Nannytopsy Tue 13-Apr-21 20:22:33

Oh soop what a mess! Don’t you hate it when it all goes wrong?!
I have been gardening all day and might fall asleep before bedtime! Definitely feeling smug though. ?
Lots of haircuts happening. DH didn’t help by saying that he wouldn’t want a hairdresser who hadn’t cut anyone’s hair for months! At least mine will have had three days to practise ?.
Enjoy your evenings

Jaxjacky Tue 13-Apr-21 20:29:10

muse hope you make contact with your son, been there ? x

dragonfly46 Tue 13-Apr-21 20:33:14

Syn so good to hear from you and sorry things are not going better for your DH. It is hard that he has turned down counselling but unless he is receptive to it it won’t help.
Hopefully things will settle down when the building work is finished. You are still in a state of upheaval.
I am happy your DD has settled in and is giving you support.

dragonfly46 Tue 13-Apr-21 20:35:45

One more sleep until ?‍♀️

Doodle Tue 13-Apr-21 20:35:59

Lots of haircut news. I can’t wait for mine. Mid May.
Synonymous I am sorry your DH is having a difficult time and that it is obviously impacting on your and your DD. Shame he turned down the offer of help.
I am sure once the alterations are done things will be better. It’s really hard being with people who aren’t happy in themselves, I expect anything you say is wrong. I hope you can get some help for you and your DD. Perhaps if your DH sees you getting help he may think differently about getting some himself. Take care
Soop I’m sure your front door looks a treat. I love the name of the paint colour. Please don’t overdo it.
Grandmabatty nothing like a little one to cheer you up. Hope your spirits lift soon.
MrsHat nice to hear things are better for you. Lovely to have a haircut too. ?
muse I hope things are going better for your son. Wishing you well.
Take care all the lovely kitcheners TOYA ?

Galen Tue 13-Apr-21 20:59:54

Amused today by notice in ambulance!
4 seated, 2 wheelchairs no STANDEES

A word I’ve never seen before

Hellogirl1 Tue 13-Apr-21 21:16:46

Good to see you Galen, how are you?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion