Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you ‘spring clean ? And if so , what.....

(78 Posts)
NotAGran55 Thu 25-Mar-21 15:10:54

...do you actually do , over and above normal cleaning?

I’ve never had the time or the inclination in the past to do it , and consequently haven’t!
However , I do now have the time but as a newbie I don’t know what to do smile
I have a couple of spare days next week to fill ...

BigBertha1 Fri 26-Mar-21 06:49:37

We do a whole house clean every week and a daily regular clean but in Spring we do extras like gutters, paintwork, garage, garden furniture, carpets.

Ellianne Fri 26-Mar-21 07:28:28

Yes, top to bottom the house gets cleaned and lots of stuff like bedding, cushions, towels, small furniture items gets brought out and changed over for the new season. Windows are a must as the sun starts to stream through, tile grout, skirtings, patio etc all get scrubbed and washed. The pets get moved to their spring/summer quarters so all sofas and carpets are cleaned with sponges. I have a tick list and it usually takes four weeks or so depending how much painting touch-up I include.

Lucca Fri 26-Mar-21 07:44:25

Shouldn’t that be in the oneupmanship thread ?

Casdon Fri 26-Mar-21 07:54:06

My Nanna used to do exactly as *Ellianne describes, including the painting, and changing the bedding, curtains and chair covers for summer ones, every year when the clocks changed. Her house was gleaming when she’d finished. She despaired of my mum, who with four children couldn’t do the same.

Ellianne Fri 26-Mar-21 07:55:21

Lucca

Definitely! But I'm not sure there is any boasting?
Some spread their cleaning out over the year, some like me go hell for leather once every season. I like to set myself little targets.

Nell8 Fri 26-Mar-21 08:12:59

Mum trained as a domestic science teacher. I found an old school textbook she used in the 1940s. Under "How to clean a bedroom" it said "First. Black the grate". I count myself lucky I only have to poke the dust bunnies out of the gap behind the radiator!

JaneJudge Fri 26-Mar-21 08:18:54

I also do not have the dedication to do a spring clean. I love the idea of having AN IMMACULATE HOUSE BUT IT JUST NEVER HAPPENS. oops. My husband did suggest we book the oven cleaning man though last week as the house keeps filling with smoke wink

Lovetopaint037 Fri 26-Mar-21 08:24:41

I usually paint a room this time of the year as the light gets better to see and I don’t want to do it in the better weather. This year dh is doing the hall by himself, bit by bit no wallpapering just painting it all. I fell off a step ladder a short while ago and ended up in A&E and in the worst agony since I gave birth many years ago. I was banned from anything with steps after that.

Lucca Fri 26-Mar-21 08:47:56

Ellianne

Lucca

Definitely! But I'm not sure there is any boasting?
Some spread their cleaning out over the year, some like me go hell for leather once every season. I like to set myself little targets.

Four weeks of cleaning every season ?no thanks.

honeyrose Fri 26-Mar-21 09:18:15

No - never have. I clean as I go along.

sodapop Fri 26-Mar-21 09:19:32

Yes once the weather improves its time to wash curtains, get rid of all the cobwebs and generally have a spruce up. Makes me feel better to know its done.

grannyrebel7 Fri 26-Mar-21 09:50:05

Has anyone ever had a deep clean? And what does it actually involve? Just think we could do with one as I've never been very good at organising the cleaning and never ever have enough time to do everything properly! As for spring cleaning hmm can't say I've ever indulged in that myself! smile

Witzend Fri 26-Mar-21 10:00:59

I though that was more of a thing when most people still had open coal fires.
I don’t spring clean, but I will have a bit of a blitz now and then. Pre COVID that was usually when guests were coming to stay,
so not much actual blitzing lately.

As for the inside of windows, I can thoroughly recommend the Karcher thing and a dh who enjoys playing with it!

NotAGran55 Fri 26-Mar-21 20:58:27

Pull out beds ? . Hoover sofas ? No chance of that happening unless I move . Just the cooker hood to tackle as far as I can see then , only because I forgot to ask The Cooker Man to do it when he was here last .
No animals , smokers or children to mess the place up so normal cleaning will do .
Now need to think of something else to do next week .....

inishowen Sat 27-Mar-21 10:45:31

I have zero energy so I won't be spring cleaning. I try to keep on top of things and the house is uncluttered. Kitchen window is awful but the thought of standing on the work top scares me.

Moggycuddler Sat 27-Mar-21 10:47:11

I clean regularly, all year round. In fact, I am a bit OCD about it and probably need to relax more - or so I get told! I think spring cleaning used to be a tradition long ago mostly with the well-to-do who had big houses with lots of rooms and servants. Once a year they got the servants to take down and brush/beat the heavy curtains, and have a big household cleaning, ready for entertaining in the spring and summer.

Theoddbird Sat 27-Mar-21 10:49:29

Spring clean? I have enough trouble rest of year... I will give my burner an extra wipe before chimney sweep comes though...

Megs36 Sat 27-Mar-21 10:54:51

inishowenZero energy. ?me too, on reflection I’ve always been the same! My mother had winter and summer curtains and nets and other seasonal stuff, no washing machines or good vacuum cleaners then, I guess I too come in the ‘slattern’ category ....Don’t care!!

sazz1 Sat 27-Mar-21 10:55:09

No not actual Spring Cleaning but I tend to have a project every now and again e.g. kitchen cupboards, doors, windows, bedroom drawers etc

bongobil Sat 27-Mar-21 11:12:20

In a word NO!

hugshelp Sat 27-Mar-21 11:16:49

I'm a bit of a Monica. I have a rota of things that get a really good clean every few weeks. I devote an hour or two once a week to this. I don't stick to it like glue; if the sun shines I'll put it off another week, but it helps me make sure I do get around to everything eventually.
The rest of the time I just clean what obviously needs it, like work-tops after cooking etc.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:19:12

I will just clean as needs to be done. Wash curtains, pillows, etc as weather dictates.

4allweknow Sat 27-Mar-21 11:23:26

I used to as well as at New Year cleaning all the old year's dirt out to let the new year's in. Spring cleaning meant fir me cleaning absolutely every surface and item in the house. Used to allocate 5 days per room for paintwork, windows/frames, furniture, carpet, curtains, lights and all ornaments etc. to be cleaned. All cupboards cleaned and tidied. The whole of April was taken up doing spring cleaning. Must have been mad!

Bazza Sat 27-Mar-21 11:32:34

Ooh Elliane, you sound just like my mum. The genes definitely not passed to me.

Mapleleaf Sat 27-Mar-21 11:39:52

I tend to do jobs as and when I think they need doing, so no, I don't do a spring clean as such. I do, however, do the curtains in the warmer weather so that they can be dried outdoors, but not all at once. Any cleaning needed behind heavy furniture that is impossible to move by me on my own, tends to be done when we decorate a given room, though I've got one of those flat duster things that I'm able to get so far behind the wardrobes. Cupboards get emptied and cleaned when the mood strikes me, which can be any time of year. ?

I agree with the poster upthread who suggested the traditional spring clean was done to clear away dust, grime and smoke residue from all the indoor fires that were much more common place at one time (and heavy industry such as coal mining and steel production, which threw lots of particles into the atmosphere and properties).

Having said all that, I really must tackle the oven! ?