Gransnet forums

Chat

Live animal transportation.

(32 Posts)
grandmajet Mon 29-Mar-21 15:37:59

I don’t often get hot under the collar about things but surely this is unacceptable. No argument. Apparently among the live animals stranded in the Suez jam are some 92,000 animals destined for Jordan alone. And the rest. They will be suffering in terrible conditions as water and food supplies get low, but I can’t imagine such journeys to ever be humane. Why is there any need to transport live animals these days? They are killed to eat aren’t they? So why not kill them first and transport the frozen meat?
I’m horrified.

Chestnut Mon 29-Mar-21 15:46:53

Absolutely agree. I thought there were efforts to stop transport of live animals, at least in the UK. I wonder where they were heading, but I doubt we can change what other countries do. Humans have used and abused animals for centuries and it is still going on in some countries. All we can do is cut down on meat or stop eating it.

Loislovesstewie Mon 29-Mar-21 15:49:55

I agree, absolutely disgusting and no excuse to export live animals for food in this day and age.l

Vickysponge Mon 29-Mar-21 15:52:24

grandmajet

I don’t often get hot under the collar about things but surely this is unacceptable. No argument. Apparently among the live animals stranded in the Suez jam are some 92,000 animals destined for Jordan alone. And the rest. They will be suffering in terrible conditions as water and food supplies get low, but I can’t imagine such journeys to ever be humane. Why is there any need to transport live animals these days? They are killed to eat aren’t they? So why not kill them first and transport the frozen meat?
I’m horrified.

Hear hear well said. Agree with all comments. It’s disgusting and turns my stomach.

Blossoming Mon 29-Mar-21 15:53:59

I have always been opposed to this.

grandmajet Mon 29-Mar-21 16:43:49

I wish we could do something.

Hollyhock1 Mon 29-Mar-21 17:41:52

I find it abhorrent. So much suffering.

Septimia Mon 29-Mar-21 17:49:21

Agreed. The only live animals that should be transported are those that are going to stay alive - for breeding, rebuilding groups of wildlife at risk or e.g. riding horses for competitions.

There is no need to send huge ships of sheep on such long journeys as the animals can be appropriately slaughtered and sent as halal frozen meat. It would seem to be an outdated custom, although I can't say that I'm an expert in the technicalities of it.

It's even more pointless and cruel to send live animals from Britain to Europe when there are no religious rules to comply with.

It's like transporting slaves.

Urmstongran Mon 29-Mar-21 18:30:44

From BBC News 3/12/20:

Sending live animals abroad for slaughter and fattening will be banned in England and Wales under new plans.

Environment Secretary George Eustice said the ban could be in force by the end of 2021 in a post-Brexit break from EU trade rules.

😊😊

Katie59 Mon 29-Mar-21 19:15:27

Australia is probably the biggest shipper to the Middle East , it is the destination for sheep that are too old to breed again.
The whole trade should be stopped regardless of Halal rules or cost of processing, there is no justification whatever.

grandmajet Mon 29-Mar-21 19:18:04

Is it to do with halal rules? Can’t they be slaughtered according to halal rules before being transported?

Aldom Mon 29-Mar-21 19:25:07

Totally agree. But I recently circulated a petition against this practice and had a telling off from a vegetarian friend. Apparently the photos of the suffering animals upset her and she had to ask her granddaughter to delete the petition.

PamelaJ1 Mon 29-Mar-21 19:26:03

Apparently our meat is going to be labelled to let us know if it is halal or not.
About time IMO.

MerylStreep Mon 29-Mar-21 20:12:03

grandmajet
I’ve just been reading up on this ( a bit heavy going 😟) but it’s everything to do with halal.
With frozen meat the strict adherence to sharia law has to be maintained ( through checks) on every leg of the journey.
So of course it’s ‘easier’ to transport live sheep as they aren’t halal until they’re killed.

MerylStreep Mon 29-Mar-21 20:14:40

Aldom
I was there in Brightlingsea. Not pleasant.😟

Daisymae Mon 29-Mar-21 20:30:48

So much suffering. Must be banned, if only enough people cared.

grandmajet Mon 29-Mar-21 20:31:29

Meryl Streep. Thank you, I’ll read further.
‘Easier’! Is that a reason? I must be quite naive, I realised there was some degree of live transporting of animals still, but I had no idea of the sheer scale. I know even a small amount is too much, but it is so upsetting.

Jillyjosie Mon 29-Mar-21 21:52:08

There was an appalling article in the Guardian recently about a growing trade involving flying horses from Canada and France to Japan because the Japanese think of horse meat as a delicacy.
The horses are flown in small crates, four to a crate without room to lie down and they receive no food or water during the 28 hour flight. What happens to animals in order to fulfil human desires for unnecessary food items is beyond belief.

grandmajet Mon 29-Mar-21 22:30:43

But these are ‘civilised’ countries. How is it allowed? Does anyone know if the UK is involved in anything like that? We may be able to put pressure on here at least.

Hetty58 Mon 29-Mar-21 22:38:05

grandmajet, Why? Because it's so cheap and convenient - oh, and allowed, of course. Most people really don't care where their food comes from or how much it's suffered.

MerylStreep Mon 29-Mar-21 22:40:26

grandmajet
Here is the piece.
Scroll down to halal meat supply chain
It’s good bedtime reading. 😄https://www.textroad.com/pdf/JAEBS/J.%20Appl.%20Environ.%20Biol.%20Sci.,%206(9S)14-21,%202016.pdf

MerylStreep Mon 29-Mar-21 22:43:27

Let’s give it another go 😄 www.textroad.com/pdf/JAEBS/J.%20Appl.%20Environ.%20Biol.%20Sci.,%206(9S)14-21,%202016.pdf

Hetty58 Mon 29-Mar-21 22:56:04

I hope people realise that most restaurant/hotel/high street meat is halal. It'a all about the money, after all, so they don't want to exclude potential customers.

How many of you eat supermarket chickens, bred to be so deformed and heavy that their legs can't support them?

www.change.org/p/supermarkets-stop-selling-suffering

nanna8 Mon 29-Mar-21 23:01:41

They do it from Australia and many have complained . No one takes any notice and it keeps going on. They pull out the racist and discrimination card at the drop of a hat. Foul practice.

vegansrock Tue 30-Mar-21 07:34:34

You can’t just blame animal cruelty on halal. Live transportation goes on here all the time - abattoirs are now huge industrial units and animals are shipped long distances around the country daily. Terrified animals crushed together for hours, no water or any attention. Having to wait in the “kill line” and prodded with electric shocks to force them to move and worse. No prosecutions ever. Chicken farms are as bad with hundreds of male chicks crushed on a conveyor belt. I’ll believe the government’s ban when they actually do it instead of talking about it.