Gransnet forums

Chat

Live animal transportation.

(34 Posts)
grandmajet Mon 29-Mar-21 15:37:59

I don’t often get hot under the collar about things but surely this is unacceptable. No argument. Apparently among the live animals stranded in the Suez jam are some 92,000 animals destined for Jordan alone. And the rest. They will be suffering in terrible conditions as water and food supplies get low, but I can’t imagine such journeys to ever be humane. Why is there any need to transport live animals these days? They are killed to eat aren’t they? So why not kill them first and transport the frozen meat?
I’m horrified.

grandmajet Tue 30-Mar-21 08:58:36

I agree, vegansrock, more and more regulation led to an increasing number of small abattoirs closing, from when we joined the ‘common market’ onwards, increasing after the foot and mouth outbreak in 2001. Hence animals having to be transported longer distances.
Large chicken farms are appalling too. Buy less, local and free range. We do not need much meat - or any.
However the transport of thousands and thousands of sheep for such distances just to be able to prove no ‘contamination’ by non halal sources is completely unjustifiable. Read MerylStreep’s link. Also flying live horses from Canada and France to Japan. If they have to be killed, do it first. If that makes the meat undesirable, too bad, stop the trade.

grandmajet Tue 30-Mar-21 09:03:08

Aldom, surely the whole point of such photos is that it does, and should, upset us.

Aldom Tue 30-Mar-21 09:34:12

Grandmajet Exactly. My response to my friend was that these photos of animals suffering are upsetting to me but I choose to try to do something about it. I told her I fully expected that, as an animal lover and vegetarian I had felt certain she would sign the petition. I have since heard nothing from her. We have to put the animals before our own sensitivities. If this has cost me a friendship, so be it.

grandmajet Tue 30-Mar-21 10:06:09

It’s sad, to lose a friendship when you both feel the same deep down.
I hope you can reconnect with her.

EkwaNimitee Wed 31-Mar-21 19:45:01

There are regulations re feeding and watering when transporting animals overland in Europe but I gather from the campaigning charity I belong to that they are often ignored by the drivers. I agree with others that live transport should be banned apart from the relatively small amount of animals required for breeding, horse racing and the like. And also tighten up cruel industrial farming practices. And police the regulations. We seem make a practice of passing laws and then not paying the necessary for personnel to enforce them.
I do hope we are not going to go down the American route of vast industrial animal rearing units.

Tabby555 Wed 31-Mar-21 23:54:31

All live animal transportation should be banned!It is so so cruel and causes so much suffering!It should be banned regardless of halal rules.So terribly heartbreaking.We need to speak up for the animals for they are voiceless.

Boogaloo Mon 05-Apr-21 16:45:03

Aldom

Grandmajet Exactly. My response to my friend was that these photos of animals suffering are upsetting to me but I choose to try to do something about it. I told her I fully expected that, as an animal lover and vegetarian I had felt certain she would sign the petition. I have since heard nothing from her. We have to put the animals before our own sensitivities. If this has cost me a friendship, so be it.

I've had to block certain things on FaceBook due to the absolutely awful animal cruelty pictures and videos friends were posting.

I've been a vegetarian for almost 50 years and during that time I've had a very dear pet cow for 25 years and a sheep for 14 years. I do not want to have my morning cup of tea looking at the murder of my pets' kin folk. I find it more than just upsetting. I will sign whatever it takes as long as it doesn't come with a video or photos. I don't need to see the horrific images to understand others pain and terror.

By not eating meat I'm making a strong statement and helping animals. Imagine if everyone was a vegetarian - there would be no more shipping of animals and no more slaughter houses.

The biggest poster of animal cruelty videos on my Facebook page also posts pictures of her Sunday roasts and doesn't seem to see the hypocrisy.

Another animal lover asked her to stop so I chimed in as well and thankfully the horror shows stopped.

Btw; I raised my son as a vegetarian and he still is. In the 1970's my vegetarianism was greeted by shock and also worry for my health and since then most of my family members in the UK also became vegetarians.

Arielissa Tue 27-Apr-21 19:42:58

This is, indeed, terrible. But I guess they are being transported this way because those who will receive them want fresh meat, not congealed. It's terrifying to think what these animals feel when they are tortured in this way (or in any way possible). I think that when you transport some horses to competitions in other countries, it's okay because the conditions are excellent for their transportation. Or when wildlife removal people catch animals and transport them somewhere else. But not when there are 92000 who are being tortured, literally tortured.