Gransnet forums

Chat

Live animal transportation.

(33 Posts)
Septimia Mon 29-Mar-21 17:49:21

Agreed. The only live animals that should be transported are those that are going to stay alive - for breeding, rebuilding groups of wildlife at risk or e.g. riding horses for competitions.

There is no need to send huge ships of sheep on such long journeys as the animals can be appropriately slaughtered and sent as halal frozen meat. It would seem to be an outdated custom, although I can't say that I'm an expert in the technicalities of it.

It's even more pointless and cruel to send live animals from Britain to Europe when there are no religious rules to comply with.

It's like transporting slaves.

Hollyhock1 Mon 29-Mar-21 17:41:52

I find it abhorrent. So much suffering.

grandmajet Mon 29-Mar-21 16:43:49

I wish we could do something.

Blossoming Mon 29-Mar-21 15:53:59

I have always been opposed to this.

Vickysponge Mon 29-Mar-21 15:52:24

grandmajet

I don’t often get hot under the collar about things but surely this is unacceptable. No argument. Apparently among the live animals stranded in the Suez jam are some 92,000 animals destined for Jordan alone. And the rest. They will be suffering in terrible conditions as water and food supplies get low, but I can’t imagine such journeys to ever be humane. Why is there any need to transport live animals these days? They are killed to eat aren’t they? So why not kill them first and transport the frozen meat?
I’m horrified.

Hear hear well said. Agree with all comments. It’s disgusting and turns my stomach.

Loislovesstewie Mon 29-Mar-21 15:49:55

I agree, absolutely disgusting and no excuse to export live animals for food in this day and age.l

Chestnut Mon 29-Mar-21 15:46:53

Absolutely agree. I thought there were efforts to stop transport of live animals, at least in the UK. I wonder where they were heading, but I doubt we can change what other countries do. Humans have used and abused animals for centuries and it is still going on in some countries. All we can do is cut down on meat or stop eating it.

grandmajet Mon 29-Mar-21 15:37:59

I don’t often get hot under the collar about things but surely this is unacceptable. No argument. Apparently among the live animals stranded in the Suez jam are some 92,000 animals destined for Jordan alone. And the rest. They will be suffering in terrible conditions as water and food supplies get low, but I can’t imagine such journeys to ever be humane. Why is there any need to transport live animals these days? They are killed to eat aren’t they? So why not kill them first and transport the frozen meat?
I’m horrified.