Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have a telephone voice

(80 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 02-Apr-21 18:38:53

Have you ever been told you have? I actually speak in the same tone to all and sundry, my friend on the other hand uses a different pitch depending who she is speaking to, which really amuses me, if I say why are you speaking like hyacinth bouquet ? She says no I wasn’t, and then will carry on talking in her normal voice

FannyCornforth Sat 03-Apr-21 09:26:19

nadateturbe

I'm like Sara1954. I pick up the accent of whoever I am talking to. I'm not sure what my "real" voice sounds like.

Me too. I once lived with two wonderful friends from Plymouth.
For a while I had a Devon accent broader than theirs.
A few people actually asked me if I was from Cornwall.
I easily pick up Irish accents too, I think that that is quite common for some reason.

shysal Sat 03-Apr-21 09:28:16

I have quite a deep voice, and have been mistaken for a male on the phone a few times. I don't alter my speaking voice, but on my answerphone greeting I have deliberately used a higher voice.

Chewbacca Sat 03-Apr-21 09:30:05

I think I must have honed my clear diction telephone voice a little too well because, when I answered the phone at work a little while ago, the person on the other end of the phone said "ugh, its one of those damned recorded answerphone messages", and hung up! grin

Polarbear2 Sat 03-Apr-21 09:33:31

No but my OH does. Makes me giggle. Such a poseur.

FannyCornforth Sat 03-Apr-21 09:45:12

I've just remembered something daft that I did on the phone last week.
I make lots of calls for my DH as he hates talking on the phone, especially to doctors and the like. He had a stutter as a child, and for some reason it returns when he's on the blower.
I always start these calls with
'Hello. I'm ringing on behalf of my husband'
Anyway, this week I had to reorder my Ddog's flea and worm prevention from the vet.
And I started this call with
'Hello. I'm ringing on behalf of my dog'
?
(The receptionist didn't ask me to put her on the phone to get her permission)

DillytheGardener Sat 03-Apr-21 09:56:16

Chewbacca that made me chuckle. I also have a phone voice which DH calls my Hyacinth Bouquet voice. Normally I sound like a London version of Pamela from ‘Gavin & Stacy’. ( I look quite a bit like her toogrin)

dragonfly46 Sat 03-Apr-21 09:59:22

I have a very bored sounding voice when an unsolicited caller asks me how I am!

Alexa Sat 03-Apr-21 10:46:28

I do. Not always, but on occasions when it seems to be useful I use clipped pronunciation and the phonetic alphabet which is fun although I forget some of the letters and have to make them up.

mercedez Sat 03-Apr-21 11:02:59

My twin sister and I have exactly the same voice and when I answered the telephone at her house a man sort of whispered “I have told the wife I am going for a run, I will be around in 5 minutes”! I replied Ok, I will pass the message on” He was absolutely floored!

muse Sat 03-Apr-21 11:13:24

In only have to say "Hello" and friends and family know it's me.
I hate listening to my voice.

My mum would adopt a posh voice on the phone with those there no friends or family.

muse Sat 03-Apr-21 11:14:58

error ---- mum would adopt a posh voice on the phone with those that were not friends or family.

timetogo2016 Sat 03-Apr-21 12:41:09

Same here Kate1949,i couldn`t if i tried.

NfkDumpling Sat 03-Apr-21 13:37:38

When I started secondary school the English teacher told us all we would have to learn a second language. We were fluent in Norfolk and now had to learn English so we could communicate with the rest of the country. So yes, unless I'm talking to a friend or local or cold caller I want to annoy, I speak English.

Dottydots Sat 03-Apr-21 18:02:48

I have had a few minor strokes, so I have to speak slowly and pronounce my words carefully otherwise I stutter. Usually it comes on when I have to use a couple of words beginning with the letter P.

Please don't ask me to recite Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers!!

Billybob4491 Sat 03-Apr-21 18:43:11

I heard the sound of my own voice recently and I was quite shocked, I sounded so old!

honeyrose Mon 05-Apr-21 09:45:55

I don’t think I do, but I did try to speak even more clearly when using the phone at work. I was asked by my manager if I would use my voice to record the answerphone message for the office which I felt quite flattered about.

henetha Mon 05-Apr-21 09:50:18

I used to, because my first job when I left school was as a telephonist on a switchboard and I was told to speak clearly and without an accent.
But I don't think I do any more. I sound Devonshire whatever I do. I do pick up accents easily though when I've been abroad.

readsalot Mon 05-Apr-21 11:01:07

I also pick up the accent of the person I'm talking to. I didn't realise I did, but DH finds it amusing.

GreyKnitter Mon 05-Apr-21 11:10:39

I’d like to think I always sound the same - but who knows!!!!

luluaugust Mon 05-Apr-21 11:14:50

Apparently I sound like Princess Anne grin

Froglady Mon 05-Apr-21 11:29:17

I don't intend to have a different voice when I answer the phone, it just happens that way .

Moggycuddler Mon 05-Apr-21 11:29:49

I have a Mancunian accent and I think I sound the same all the time, by 'eck. But if I'm on the phone to someone "official" I do try to speak a bit more clearly than I might do otherwise.

inishowen Mon 05-Apr-21 11:32:57

I try to speak clearly on the phone so may have a telephone voice. My husband amuses me as when the call is for him he sings a little tune when walking to the phone.

dragonfly46 Mon 05-Apr-21 11:34:50

I sound just like my DD on the phone and once I held a telephone interview on her behalf for her journalism course. I must have done well as the interviewer always favoured her on the course.

jaylucy Mon 05-Apr-21 11:35:07

I worked in customer service for several years and yes, I did have a slightly different voice for the phone at work.
I was often speaking to people that were hard of hearing or English not their first language so you have to speak clearly so they can hear and understand, but I hopefully didn't "talk posh"
You could always tell who my mother was talking to on the phone by the way that she spoke!