Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have a telephone voice

(80 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 02-Apr-21 18:38:53

Have you ever been told you have? I actually speak in the same tone to all and sundry, my friend on the other hand uses a different pitch depending who she is speaking to, which really amuses me, if I say why are you speaking like hyacinth bouquet ? She says no I wasn’t, and then will carry on talking in her normal voice

HillyN Mon 05-Apr-21 20:06:22

I hate speaking on the phone and nerves make me talk too loudly. My DH hisses 'Stop shouting!' at me every time.

Harmonypuss Tue 06-Apr-21 07:39:22

Yes, I'm guilty as charged!

When you work in a professional office and have to talk to various different people everyday ranging from the general public through to company directors or very high up medical professionals, it "doesn't do" to answer the phone in a "common" or "relaxed" accent, so I believe most people in those scenarios DO have a "telephone voice" because you're representing the company/organisation and it projects a more professional/knowledgeable image.

Yes, if it's a friend/colleague or someone you know well on the other end of the line, your accent might change back to your "home voice".

Even though I've not been in an office environment for several years now, if I have to telephone anyone other than friends/family my (Solihull) telephone voice comes out because I sound a lot more professional than my home (Solihull crossed with Birmingham) accent might portray and I believe people treat me better too.

Froglady Tue 06-Apr-21 09:24:26

Daisend1

Depending on who is at the other end of the line dictates the 'temperature' of my voice when making or receiving telephone calls.
Warm. Exclusive to relatives /friends .
Cold. I am not interested what you have to say/ sell.

When the caller asks me if I'm Ms whatever, my voice goes very flat and uninterested. I'm polite with the caller but very firm that I'm not interested and put the phone down.

Shropshirelass Tue 06-Apr-21 09:25:45

When I was at work we had a site manager from Glasgow - well his accent was so strong he may well have been speaking double dutch, I never did manage to understand him! My boss used to change his accent according to the accent of the person he was speaking with, he thought it helped the business if he didn’t sound posh all the time. I love Geordie and Yorkshire accents.