Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anyone read The Midnight Library?

(9 Posts)
ginny Sat 03-Apr-21 14:38:56

I’ve just read it. Ok but not anything special.

nanaK54 Sat 03-Apr-21 14:20:37

I have read and enjoyed this book

Sarahmob Sat 03-Apr-21 13:19:48

I have read it, I found it to be a bit dull. I expected a high scoring book but was left unmoved. Not a bad read exactly but a bit slow, and not a book I’d ever read again.

Scribbles Sat 03-Apr-21 12:20:27

I heard it on R4 and was enjoying it until about halfway through when, as TerriBull says, it kind of fizzled out. I did listen until the end but shan't be seeking out the book to read for myself.

TerriBull Sat 03-Apr-21 11:03:23

I bought it on the basis of glowing reviews, I found it disappointing and dull. I thought it may be like a favourite book of mine Kate Atkinson's "Life After Life" slightly similar premise, the possibility of different outcomes if alternative paths in life are chosen. Yes I think I would agree OP, I thought it was okay at the beginning and then it seemed to lose momentum somewhere, by that time I'd thoroughly lost interest anyway and couldn't wait to finish it. Thankfully it's quite a short book.

NannyJan53 Sat 03-Apr-21 10:39:03

I finished this yesterday. I thought it was very good. . Not great Literature, but very thought provoking. It was one of three books my DD bought me for Mothers Day.

geekesse Sat 03-Apr-21 10:35:51

I enjoyed it as an audio book which I listen to sporadically when I go for long walks, but it’s not really great literature.

annodomini Sat 03-Apr-21 10:34:59

I heard some of it when it was read on Radio4 and put it on my wish-list. Thought it sounded interesting and well written.

littleflo Sat 03-Apr-21 10:29:55

I would be interested to know other peoples take on it, especially if you have an opinion on taking a different path after death.

I noticed it has gone to the top of the best sellers list. I thought it was an excellent premise and started of really well. Halfway through, it seemed to fizzle out. My DD and GD both loved it.