Gransnet forums

Chat

Windowlene

(38 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sun 04-Apr-21 09:22:33

I rarely clean my windows, but my kitchen ones were looking decidely bad. So I thought, ah I know I'll get some Windowlene with my weekly shop, save all that messing around with soapy water. Alas, no Windowlene or any stuff for cleaning windows in Morrisons! Just wondering does it still exist as, come to think of it, I haven't seen any for years? Needless to say said windows didn't get cleaned ?

midgey Sun 04-Apr-21 20:45:30

Reading the headline made me start singing!
Rub on rub it off
Wonder windolene!

sharon103 Sun 04-Apr-21 20:55:36

You can't beat the good old pink windowlene. I won't use anything else.
I tried the spray one once but it left the windows streaky.
I buy it from ebay.

lemongrove Sun 04-Apr-21 21:10:11

I remember once as a child refusing medicine because I thought it was Windoleen ( Windolene?) horrible pink stuff.

I use hot water with a dash of white vinegar and Fairy liquid ,
Then dried with Spontex window cloths.

grandmajet Sun 04-Apr-21 21:13:52

Oh, yuk, lemon! I remember that vile stuff too, I think it was called M &B., it was an early antibiotic. I was sick after swallowing some once and my mum was so cross. Sorry, Mum, I didn’t mean to!

lemongrove Sun 04-Apr-21 21:25:51

?
I got better without it.

MiniMoon Sun 04-Apr-21 23:31:45

No window cleaner of any sort here.
I use a spray bottle with plain water, and a microfiber cloth.
The window cleaners do the outsides.

Maggiemaybe Mon 05-Apr-21 00:04:33

I don’t think anything can better vinegar water and scrunched up newspaper, but I used to like the smell of Windolene. I remember some women sitting on their upstairs windowsills from inside and hanging on for dear life to clean their outside panes - they were brave (or daft).

MollyPolly60 Mon 05-Apr-21 00:28:02

I use the screen wash you put in the car. My windows are gleaming (until the sun shines through them)

OnwardandUpward Mon 05-Apr-21 00:57:44

I use washing up liquid, hot water and polish dry with paper. News paper is good- but kitchen roll will do a good job.

nadateturbe Mon 05-Apr-21 03:21:54

We have a window cleaner but he only comes once a month. Our kitchen window needs cleaning in between.

maydonoz Mon 05-Apr-21 19:22:04

I've been thinking of cleaning our kitchen and sittingroom windows one of these days, maybe tomorrow if I can fit it into my busy day!
I use warm water with a little washing up liquid and a couple of drops of bleach in, an old tee shirt or cotton vest is ideal, one piece to wash, another to dry. Result is clean, sparkling windows and a great sense of pride!

nadateturbe Tue 06-Apr-21 03:11:51

I clean my kitchen windows often because they get dirtier especially above the sink and get a lot of sunshine. The others are only washed now and again. My mum used to clean in and out every weekend. No chance.