Gransnet forums

Chat

Windowlene

(38 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sun 04-Apr-21 09:22:33

I rarely clean my windows, but my kitchen ones were looking decidely bad. So I thought, ah I know I'll get some Windowlene with my weekly shop, save all that messing around with soapy water. Alas, no Windowlene or any stuff for cleaning windows in Morrisons! Just wondering does it still exist as, come to think of it, I haven't seen any for years? Needless to say said windows didn't get cleaned ?

nadateturbe Tue 06-Apr-21 03:11:51

I clean my kitchen windows often because they get dirtier especially above the sink and get a lot of sunshine. The others are only washed now and again. My mum used to clean in and out every weekend. No chance.

maydonoz Mon 05-Apr-21 19:22:04

I've been thinking of cleaning our kitchen and sittingroom windows one of these days, maybe tomorrow if I can fit it into my busy day!
I use warm water with a little washing up liquid and a couple of drops of bleach in, an old tee shirt or cotton vest is ideal, one piece to wash, another to dry. Result is clean, sparkling windows and a great sense of pride!

nadateturbe Mon 05-Apr-21 03:21:54

We have a window cleaner but he only comes once a month. Our kitchen window needs cleaning in between.

OnwardandUpward Mon 05-Apr-21 00:57:44

I use washing up liquid, hot water and polish dry with paper. News paper is good- but kitchen roll will do a good job.

MollyPolly60 Mon 05-Apr-21 00:28:02

I use the screen wash you put in the car. My windows are gleaming (until the sun shines through them)

Maggiemaybe Mon 05-Apr-21 00:04:33

I don’t think anything can better vinegar water and scrunched up newspaper, but I used to like the smell of Windolene. I remember some women sitting on their upstairs windowsills from inside and hanging on for dear life to clean their outside panes - they were brave (or daft).

MiniMoon Sun 04-Apr-21 23:31:45

No window cleaner of any sort here.
I use a spray bottle with plain water, and a microfiber cloth.
The window cleaners do the outsides.

lemongrove Sun 04-Apr-21 21:25:51

?
I got better without it.

grandmajet Sun 04-Apr-21 21:13:52

Oh, yuk, lemon! I remember that vile stuff too, I think it was called M &B., it was an early antibiotic. I was sick after swallowing some once and my mum was so cross. Sorry, Mum, I didn’t mean to!

lemongrove Sun 04-Apr-21 21:10:11

I remember once as a child refusing medicine because I thought it was Windoleen ( Windolene?) horrible pink stuff.

I use hot water with a dash of white vinegar and Fairy liquid ,
Then dried with Spontex window cloths.

sharon103 Sun 04-Apr-21 20:55:36

You can't beat the good old pink windowlene. I won't use anything else.
I tried the spray one once but it left the windows streaky.
I buy it from ebay.

midgey Sun 04-Apr-21 20:45:30

Reading the headline made me start singing!
Rub on rub it off
Wonder windolene!

Greyduster Sun 04-Apr-21 20:09:56

Stardrops white vinegar spray; spray on, wipe off, no smears. jobs a good ‘in. Windolene was hard work in comparison.

Aldom Sun 04-Apr-21 19:05:31

Sago Ooo you were 'norty', but you made me laugh. Thank you grin

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 04-Apr-21 18:51:20

When we were kids we had to clean the inside of all the windows with Windolene every Saturday morning, alternating with the dusting. Hated it.
I think that it's been largely usurped by better products which are easier to use and less inclined to streak.

Amberone Sun 04-Apr-21 15:18:21

How strange, we were just talking about Windolene yesterday. I was telling my OH about the time when I was about 10 and cleaned the car for my Dad.

I used Windolene on the windows and windscreen thinking I was making them nice and sparkly but never mentioned it. Next time it rained he was cursing because the windscreen wipers wouldn't work properly and the windscreen got all smeary grin.

SueDonim Sun 04-Apr-21 15:12:46

I bought some pink Windowlene just recently from a general store that has an old-fashioned ironmongers dept. If this shop doesn’t stock it, you don’t need it. grin They had just the one bottle, so possibly it’s left over from 1957. Haven’t used it yet so I can’t say whether it works well.

grannypiper Sun 04-Apr-21 14:02:49

Water and vinegar, then newspaper to dry. Cheap and easy

Casdon Sun 04-Apr-21 13:02:39

I’m really lazy I think, as I now use the Method window cleaning spray, I just spray it on and wipe off with a microfibre glass cloth, it takes me two minutes and gives an excellent result with no streaks, one spray per window is enough. A bottle lasts about a year, and I’ve also got two internal glass paned doors and a dog, so it’s good value.

Jane43 Sun 04-Apr-21 12:57:04

I have a spray bottle with water and vinegar and find that squirts of that wiped off with a microfibre cloth does the job, inside only though as we have a window cleaner for the outside of the windows.

nadateturbe Sun 04-Apr-21 12:47:25

I loved it too. I found it online last year and got 3 bottles. I hate the smell and it seems laborious now using it.
Two bottles are unopened and I'm using a hot water chamois on the inside windows and nirrors or vinegar water spray. Soapy water outside. Much easier imo.

timetogo2016 Sun 04-Apr-21 11:12:45

I have heard of some excuses to not clean windows grannyrebel7,but thats a corker.LOL

Anannymous Sun 04-Apr-21 10:47:53

I got some pink Windowlene from the hardware shop in Southwold last year after looking for ages. I was so excited Mr A offered to buy me another bottle for Christmas.

Susiewong65 Sun 04-Apr-21 10:27:25

Ooh used to love the smell of windowlene !.

Nowadays I don rubber gloves and use scrunched up newspaper and water to wash my windows then a dry piece of newspaper to buff them up, it works a treat and doesn’t leave smeary marks.

Sunnyoutlook Sun 04-Apr-21 10:20:58

I have some Windolene here. It’s now a blue liquid “with added vinegar” in a spray bottle. Soapy water works just as well though.