Gransnet forums

Chat

What was the First Record that you Bought?

(258 Posts)
FannyCornforth Wed 07-Apr-21 13:27:53

Hello Everyone
Mine was 'Once Upon a Time' by Simple Minds (an LP).

It was 1985 and I was 13, so quite old really. It was the Summer holidays.
It cost £4.50 from whichever shop was WHSmith before it became WHSmith in Stourbridge.

I've no idea why I chose it. I think that I might have thought it was cool.
I was quite young for my age then. It must have been a bit of a quiet period for my mom and dad, just before I became a bit of a parental nightmare! ?

What was your first record?

Witzend Wed 07-Apr-21 14:15:42

Probably She Loves You, but I honestly can’t remember.

What I do remember is my 5 years older sister buying a Tom Lehrer LP (hilarious!).
On the back of the sleeve it said, ‘To clean record, use a fairly dry Martini’, which at about 12 struck me as the absolute height of wit.

Yammy Wed 07-Apr-21 14:18:46

"I've got you babe", by Sonny and Chere. It was a single and I think it cost 10/6p old money.

kathsue Wed 07-Apr-21 15:22:56

"Johnie, remember me" by John Leyton in about 1961.

monk08 Wed 07-Apr-21 15:43:11

Axis bold as love Jimi Hendrix and I still have it.

Namsnanny Wed 07-Apr-21 15:49:51

We had no record player at home, can you imagine!
Dad was given (in part exchange for something else) one of the first tape recorders, and I had his permission to record Sunday nights chart hits. Trying to cut out the DJ's voice over and adverts ect. of course!
I did eventually buy an LP just so I could take it to friends with me and play there.
I'm not sure if it was Simon n Garfunkel, Carole King or the Moody Blues.

Franbern Wed 07-Apr-21 16:11:18

1957 -returned home from holiday with my parent from the IoW where I had falled totally in love (sweet 16). Did arrange to meet up again back in London, but that did not last long!!
However, the juke box at the entertainment arcade where we were staying had, almost continously, been playing out 'Last Train to San Fernando' (no idea who by). Purchased that as a 78 rpm and then discovered that the flip side had Sal Mineo talking to a song called 'They tried to tell us we were too young'. Lots of tears on my part.
Kept that 78 carefully for many years until one of my toddlers stood on it. Can still remember the words of that song though.

grannyrebel7 Wed 07-Apr-21 16:20:26

Picture of You - Joe Brown. I was about 11 or 12 at the time.

BlueSapphire Wed 07-Apr-21 16:25:06

I think it was an EP of excerpts from Handels Messiah, as our school choir was busy learning the Christmas music from it.

Callistemon Wed 07-Apr-21 16:27:25

bumblebee34

Walking back to happiness by Helen Shapiro in 1961. She was only 14 years old when she recorded it and it went to number 1 in the charts.

We saw Helen Shapiro years later singing jazz, bumblebee - she was terrific.

I liked Tom Lehrer too, Witzend
Poisoning Pigeons in the Park shock, my friend and I thought it was hilarious, we must have been mid teens.

Diana by Paul Anka

Grandmajean Wed 07-Apr-21 16:30:38

" Girl of my best friend" - Elvis , of course. I think I was about fourteen.

Bridie22 Wed 07-Apr-21 16:32:37

Bought first two together,
All or nothing. By small faces.
Keep on running by the spencer Davis group.

Cherrytree59 Wed 07-Apr-21 16:34:28

First record bought for me ( to go with birthday present of a Fergusson HIFI system ) was Storm in a teacup by The Fortunes.

First record I bought with my pocket money Popcorn by HotButter?

grandmajet Wed 07-Apr-21 16:36:08

Gosh, I remember so many of those. I think my first one was ‘Halfway to Paradise’ by Billy Fury. I loved him. He would have loved me too, but we never met!
I think Last Train to San Fernando Was by Lonnie Donegan.
I feel my taste was quite mainstream compared to some of you cool chicks!

MayBee70 Wed 07-Apr-21 16:39:21

See Emily Play. Pink Floyd. Didn’t have a record player though. Then Abraxus by Santana.

LauraNorder Wed 07-Apr-21 16:39:26

Urban Blues - John Lee Hooker

LauraNorder Wed 07-Apr-21 16:39:36

LauraNorder Wed 07-Apr-21 16:40:38

Grandmajet I have a photo of me with Billy Fury. He was so lovely

Sar53 Wed 07-Apr-21 16:44:48

I didn't buy singles. The first album I bought was Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd. I still have it and they are still my favourite band.

Elusivebutterfly Wed 07-Apr-21 16:45:21

Love Me Do, the Beatles first single. I shared the purchase with my brother when my father bought our first record player. It was a year or two after the song came out but we wanted the first Beatles song. Singles cost 6/8 back then.
Bridie 22- I had both those singles.

Blinko Wed 07-Apr-21 16:48:15

The Buddy Holly Story LP 28/6d with my first weeks wages. I still have it.

Grandmabatty Wed 07-Apr-21 16:49:14

'Black night' by Deep Purple. I loved all rock music. Grannygravy I can still sing every word of 'Band of Gold' by Freda Payne. I loved it. And Nilsson 'Without You'

Redhead56 Wed 07-Apr-21 16:54:18

Rod Stewart LP Smiler

Anniebach Wed 07-Apr-21 16:56:52

Billy Eckstine and Sarah Vaughan - Passing Strangers

PamelaJ1 Wed 07-Apr-21 16:59:02

Terry by Twinkle. Wonder what happened to her?

grandmajet Wed 07-Apr-21 17:04:50

LauraNorder

Grandmajet I have a photo of me with Billy Fury. He was so lovely

envy
I read that he went to live in Wales and bred Welsh mountain ponies, I love them too. We would have been so well matched. Although he died quite young, heart problems related to childhood rheumatic fever. I would have nursed him and kept him well.