Gransnet forums

Chat

Who was your favourite Beatle?

(167 Posts)
Kandinsky Thu 08-Apr-21 19:03:35

Has to be George Harrison for me. smile

Grandmafrench Fri 09-Apr-21 20:13:02

Lovely George - glad he won.

There's lots of good music and conversation in a film about the The Travelling Wilburys. This was a 'band' which George put together comprising his mates, Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and Roy Orbison - just because he felt like writing some music ! Can recommend.

HillyN Fri 09-Apr-21 23:14:38

No-one in my class loved Ringo so I always said he was my favourite because I never went with the crowd on principle. However as time went on I did think he was the nicest and I loved his voice on Thomas the Tank Engine.

GreenGran78 Fri 09-Apr-21 23:33:05

I liked Paul best. I have the distinction of having met my husband in the Cavern Club, but in the preBeatle days when it was a jazz club.
Looking at the huge prices that Beatle memorabilia fetches, these days, I regret not becoming one of their fans at the time.

Chestnut Fri 09-Apr-21 23:34:39

Grandmafrench - it was great fun seeing all those superstars performing together in the Travelling Wilburys. They all seemed so comfortable and relaxed with each other.

Chestnut Fri 09-Apr-21 23:46:42

One night in 1999 I woke in the night with a sudden sharp stabbing pain in my chest and a feeling of great fear. I was not having a nightmare, it was the chest pain frightening me. I felt real panic. After a short time the pain subsided. I realised I was okay, calmed myself down and tried to get back to sleep.
The following morning it was in the news that George had been stabbed during the night at his home in Friars Park. I was quite taken aback. Coincidence? Maybe, but it has never happened before or since, and I often wondered if I'd had a momentary psychic link with George at the time he was stabbed.

Secondwind Sat 10-Apr-21 00:02:12

The 9 year old me liked Paul, but l now realise that if my ovaries had been firing at the time, it would definitely have been George.

Littleflowers Sat 10-Apr-21 00:13:44

George. He was so handsome.

Rosie51 Sat 10-Apr-21 00:17:35

It was George for me, followed by Ringo. Paul was too "pretty", I've never been attracted to pretty men. John was too self absorbed. My mum wasn't a huge admirer of The Beatles, she was a Stones fan. In reality I agreed with her, but would never admit it smile. I actually "met" Mick Jagger very briefly (which translates to being in the same room lol) I don't suppose he remembers me at all!

MaggieTulliver Sat 10-Apr-21 08:51:26

I was madly in love with George as a little girl and remember watching them at Shea Stadium and screaming along with the fans who were actually there! Of course he didn’t write a lot of the music but he was definitely the most handsome. So sad when he died.

bobbydog24 Sat 10-Apr-21 09:06:00

Spent most of my teens in the Cavern, watching all the Merseyside groups and loved the Beatles, especially Paul. Ringo was my least favourite. He has since disassociated himself from his city of birth. (S)knob.

Sara1954 Sat 10-Apr-21 09:14:16

Maggie
I remember watching the Beatles at Shea Stadium.
It was televised on a Guides night, and I had to beg my dad to let me miss it, he didn’t approve of joining things, then not turning up because you had something better to do.
I had my way in the end, it was so exiting, I would never have forgiven him if he’d made me miss it.

MaggieTulliver Sat 10-Apr-21 09:28:06

Hi Sara, yes my dad was very strict so this was a special occasion! I remember we always had dinner at 7.15pm on the dot so had to turn TOTP off half way through. He would never let us watch TV at dinner time!

Sara1954 Sat 10-Apr-21 09:33:26

Maggie
Same with my dad, to be fair, I never let my children eat and watch television, but the difference being, that they could record it.
For us, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity!

FindingNemo15 Sat 10-Apr-21 09:34:48

Paul at the time. My DH went to see them once, but could not hear them over the screaming girls!

Edge26 Sat 10-Apr-21 14:17:57

Ringo, with that cheeky smile. He made me laugh when in the film Hard's Day's Night he was asked if he was a mod or a rocker and he replied Mocker !!

Happysexagenarian Sat 10-Apr-21 16:44:49

Paul. I saw him once in London. He was shopping, on his own, just like anyone else, on the opposite side of the street. He happened to look in my direction so I waved, and he waved back! It made my day.

Thirdinline Sat 10-Apr-21 16:49:51

George - I’m amazed that so many others are saying the same!

Grandmafrench Sat 10-Apr-21 17:24:04

Chestnut what a frightening thing for you - and spooky!
His brave Wife saved his life, though, so he was around for a bit longer. Glad you enjoyed the film about the Wilburys. Such good music but just a small window in time, because there's no Roy, no Tom and no George now. So sad.

Don't think George can lose The Favourite Beatle award here. ❤️

lemongrove Sat 10-Apr-21 18:03:31

My answer...none of them, at least not in the fancying stakes.
I really liked them of course, and their records and went to see them when they toured the North ( 1963?)
I liked Ringo as a character best, he had a very understated sense of humour and came across as the most confident member of the group ( of course he was older than them).
John came across ( to me) as sarcastic and full of himself, Paul
As the nicest person, and George so quiet that he didn’t register anything much ( he was the youngest and deferred to the others too much.)
He really blossomed when the Beatles broke up, and made some really good music later on, which I still sometimes play.

Kate1949 Sat 10-Apr-21 18:27:56

They were lovely to the fans, George in particular. When he spoke to us that day it was asking how we all were.
He also named The Apple Scruffs - the girls who used to hang around the recording studios, hoping to catch a glimpse of the group who then got to know the girls.
George used to write to some of them I believe and he wrote the song Apple Scruffs for them which is on his All Things Must Pass album.
I'm full of useless information.

Harris27 Sat 10-Apr-21 18:29:50

George .

LauraNorder Sun 11-Apr-21 14:09:26

George, all day long.
There’s a tribute to George on Sky Arts as I write. Gosh his son is so very like him, just a bit thinner.
Eric Clapton is caressing his guitar as only Clapton can.

Kate1949 Sun 11-Apr-21 14:37:55

Thanks Laura . I've put it on even though I have it on DVD. A Concert for George.

LauraNorder Sun 11-Apr-21 15:12:01

What a fabulous tribute, so many class musicians on one stage. I hadn’t been aware of it back in 2002. You’re lucky to have it on dvd Kate1949

Kate1949 Sun 11-Apr-21 15:20:38

Yes Laura. If you haven't seen it before, tissues at the ready at the end.