Gransnet forums

Chat

Joke! Remember them?

(250 Posts)
Rufus2 Fri 09-Apr-21 08:32:23

A Joke! Remember them? ,
Relax! Not demeaning to Ladies nor even Women! grin

Scotland’s First Minister was visiting an Edinburgh hospital and enters a ward full of patients with no sign of illness or injury and greets one.
The patient replies;
“Tae fair your honest sonsie face,
Great chieftain of the puddin race,
Aboon them a’ you take your place,
Painch, tripe or thairm,
As lang’s my airm”

The Minister is confused and moves on to the next patient and says hello..
The patient responds:
“Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat and we can eat,
So let the Lord be thankit”

Even more confused, the Minister moves on to the next patient who immediately begins to chant;
“We sleekit, cowerin, timorous beasty
Thou needna start awa sae hastie,
Wi’ bickerin brattle”

The Minister turns to the accompanying doctor and asks
“What kind of facility is this? A mental ward?
“No” replies the doctor, the serious BURNS unit” - `

muse Fri 09-Apr-21 12:22:42

?? Thank you Rufus2

suziewoozie Fri 09-Apr-21 12:31:52

Firecracker123

12:05suziewoozie

Perhaps you should stay off them then ?

Perhaps you could stop posting racist ‘jokes’

Firecracker123 Fri 09-Apr-21 12:43:05

Perhaps you should post a joke susiewoozie or perhaps going by your posts you don't know any lol.

Sorry Rufus for causing problems on your thread I won't post anymore.

Ro60 Fri 09-Apr-21 12:46:57

??

suziewoozie Fri 09-Apr-21 12:49:58

Firecracker123

Perhaps you should post a joke susiewoozie or perhaps going by your posts you don't know any lol.

Sorry Rufus for causing problems on your thread I won't post anymore.

<sigh>

Rufus2 Fri 09-Apr-21 12:59:08

Susiewoozie Sorry if you feel demeaned! sad

Rest assured; some of my best GN friends are Scots whom I wouldn't dare bash! grin
Perhaps the following is more your style!
Comes courtesy of "The Oldie" mag. Full of good jokes and serious articles on a host of topics. I believe they are currently selling cheap copies to those in need. grin

A university lecturer is giving a talk on language.
"The funny thing is, we all know about double negatives that are positives – like 'I didn't say I wouldn't do it'," the lecturer says. "But I've never, in 40 years, come across a double positive with a negative meaning."

And a bright student in the audience said, "Yeah, yeah."

suziewoozie Fri 09-Apr-21 13:08:18

Rufus2

Susiewoozie Sorry if you feel demeaned! sad

Rest assured; some of my best GN friends are Scots whom I wouldn't dare bash! grin
Perhaps the following is more your style!
Comes courtesy of "The Oldie" mag. Full of good jokes and serious articles on a host of topics. I believe they are currently selling cheap copies to those in need. grin

A university lecturer is giving a talk on language.
"The funny thing is, we all know about double negatives that are positives – like 'I didn't say I wouldn't do it'," the lecturer says. "But I've never, in 40 years, come across a double positive with a negative meaning."

And a bright student in the audience said, "Yeah, yeah."

If you’d read the thread , you’d have seen that I did not criticise your joke. And I feel neither demeaned nor offended .

Jaxjacky Fri 09-Apr-21 13:15:32

Best laid plans Rufus ?

Rufus2 Fri 09-Apr-21 13:18:11

The joke was a dig at Nicola Sturgeon
Firecracker123 Actually it originally featured a David Cameron, but I tried to make it neutral and keep out of Scottish politics!. hmm

Please stay! I was getting depressed reading of the trouble and strife being caused by shopping trolleys; there's nothing funny in them; dirty or sparkling clean! hmm
OoRoo

Firecracker123 Fri 09-Apr-21 13:24:50

On Monday when we can all sit outside the pub for a drink ?

nanna8 Fri 09-Apr-21 13:36:02

Are we allowed to tell jokes these days? Someone is sure to be offended.
With a risk of offending any pirates or people from the West Country a pirate went to the doctor ‘ Oi be worried about them warts on me back , oi thinks they moight be the cancerin kind’ Doctor looks carefully at the warts and says,
‘No, they’re benign’
‘Argh,’ says the pirate. ‘oi thinks there be ten’

suziewoozie Fri 09-Apr-21 13:51:00

nanna8

With a risk of offending any pirates or people from the West Country a pirate went to the doctor ‘ Oi be worried about them warts on me back , oi thinks they moight be the cancerin kind’ Doctor looks carefully at the warts and says,
‘No, they’re benign’

Are you saying it’s impossible to tell a joke that isn’t racist/sexist/homophobic?

Devorgilla Fri 09-Apr-21 13:51:38

Rufus2, you brightened my day.

suziewoozie Fri 09-Apr-21 13:52:50

Personally I wouldn’t make fun of people’s accents but I can see how jokes like that can be seen as amusing - jokes employing racist stereotypes not so much.,

suziewoozie Fri 09-Apr-21 14:05:15

Here’s one of mine

suziewoozie Fri 09-Apr-21 14:11:13

A visual one plus another

DiscoGran Fri 09-Apr-21 14:25:33

Thanks Rufus and Co, I really needed a laugh today. ?

nanna8 Fri 09-Apr-21 14:33:21

suziewoozie

nanna8

‘No, they’re benign’

Are you saying it’s impossible to tell a joke that isn’t racist/sexist/homophobic?

Yes. Mine was racist of course against the West Country pirates. Making assumptions and I am so sorry you took offence.

suziewoozie Fri 09-Apr-21 14:35:19

nanna8

suziewoozie

nanna8

‘No, they’re benign’

Yes. Mine was racist of course against the West Country pirates. Making assumptions and I am so sorry you took offence.

Where did I say ai took offence - please and be accurate when ascribing feelings and reactions to me.

nanna8 Fri 09-Apr-21 14:36:05

I should point out , to be fair, that some of my relatives are West Country which makes it even worse. I don’t know if they were pirates but it is awful to condemn those poor pirates who were probably just oppressed by people like you and me who are more fortunate in their lives. It is awful and I won’t be able sleep I am sure. I feel rather oppressed by your comments but I forgive you.

Blossoming Fri 09-Apr-21 14:48:58

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He’s not breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his cell phone and calls 911.

“I think my friend is dead!” he yells. “What can I do?”

The operator says, “Calm down. First, let’s make sure he’s dead.”

There’s a silence, then a shot. Back on the phone, the guy says, “OK, now what?”

SecondhandRose Fri 09-Apr-21 14:54:18

This one is best listened to on You Tube. Type in ‘Clement Freud joke’. It isn’t offensive as far as I know. My favourite joke. Not sure if this link will work youtu.be/UeGZkxp5yoM

Mollygo Fri 09-Apr-21 15:33:18

One of the first slightly risqué jokes I heard as a teenager, with all the ‘. . . ist’ words removed.
7 characters from a fairy tale, bathing together (to save water), were feeling grumpy.
Grumpy got out so they all felt happy!

Aveline Fri 09-Apr-21 16:26:07

SecondhandRose-gringringrin

Alegrias1 Fri 09-Apr-21 16:33:45

Well that'll teach me. Note to self - stay off the jokes threads.

Not offended, not accusing anyone of being racist, just wondering if we will ever get past this.....