Gransnet forums

Chat

What did Prince Phillip mean to you?

(221 Posts)
Newatthis Mon 12-Apr-21 15:51:59

A tribe in the Pacific island nation of Vanuatu is in mourning after the death last week of Britain’s Prince Philip, who they revered as a god. The Prince Philip Movement has existed for 50 years in two villages, and is believed to have a few hundred followers. In 1974 the prince visited the area with Queen Elizabeth II, and reportedly took part in local ceremonies. According to anthropologists, Philip is seen as the re-embodiment of a powerful mountain spirit, and for the next few weeks the villagers will conduct rites for the Duke, whose funeral is set for Saturday. What did Prince Phillip mean to you?

Nannarose Mon 12-Apr-21 16:49:15

Another republican here. Doesn't mean I don't have sympathy for any family coping with a death, but it means nothing.
However, I'm a very British sort of republican, so happy to make space for those who want to mourn.

EllanVannin Mon 12-Apr-21 16:53:09

When King George VI died, everything was shut down, even Parliament.

vampirequeen Mon 12-Apr-21 16:55:50

A racist old man.

AcornFairy Mon 12-Apr-21 17:02:20

He was an inspiring example of duty and loyalty. When he chose to spend his life with the woman he loved he played his cards humbly, but with remarkable strength.

vegansrock Mon 12-Apr-21 17:04:24

No feelings personally, sad for the family as in any bereavement, fed up with the coverage and the fawning obsequious fuss, forelock tugging that just by being in a certain family makes you marvellous, wonderful, to be revered, worthy of endless media coverage etc. Bogging on about his life makes me less admiring of the family rather than more due to its sheer repetition.

Judy54 Mon 12-Apr-21 17:07:01

Well said AcornFairy whilst views of what Prince Phillip meant to us may vary, He was also a Husband, Father, Grandfather and Great-Grandfather and his family are mourning him in the same way that any other family would do. RIP Prince Phillip.

GagaJo Mon 12-Apr-21 17:08:26

Nothing. He was a nasty, racist piece of work. The Queen has my sympathy, as would anyone who has recently been bereaved.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 12-Apr-21 17:28:02

Another republican here. He along with his family represent an arcane institution, and as Whitewave noted he exhibited a sense of entitlement by his attitude and reported comments. However he also represented a sense of continuity in the country because he and the queen have been around in the background of our lives for ever, for most of us.

Kandinsky Mon 12-Apr-21 17:32:38

I really liked him.

ginny Mon 12-Apr-21 17:38:24

Sad for the family as I would be for any other family.
I didn’t know him personally so he didn’t really have any effect on my life then or in his passing.

EkwaNimitee Mon 12-Apr-21 17:51:46

I thought he carried out his role in life, the Queens consort, exceptionally well. He instituted the Duke of Edinburgh Awards. He didn’t suffer fools gladly though he erred towards abrasiveness on occasion.
Bad points—he didn’t seem to have been the best of fathers to a youthful Prince Charles but that seems to have been more down to having opposed personalities. And I haven’t forgiven him for shooting tigers.
On the whole, he was a good citizen and an asset to the country. I have no strong feelings towards him either way though. I’m not a RF fan, I am another republican though I would prefer certain members of the RF as head of state rather than certain ex prime ministers, say.
A pity he didn’t make his 100th.

allium Mon 12-Apr-21 17:52:15

Nothing.

grannylyn65 Mon 12-Apr-21 17:53:59

Nothing

Buffybee Mon 12-Apr-21 17:56:02

I admired him!
He was a war hero, who excelled in practically everything he touched and supported the Queen for over 70 years.
The outpouring of grief and tributes from around World are a testament to that.

Kestrel Mon 12-Apr-21 17:59:13

Embarrassing (often racist) gaffes which didn't reflect well on this country, chancer who made good, rich privileged person, prob not faithful husband, established Award Scheme. Sorry for Queen's loss.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 17:59:26

Buffybee

I admired him!
He was a war hero, who excelled in practically everything he touched and supported the Queen for over 70 years.
The outpouring of grief and tributes from around World are a testament to that.

A war hero or someone who fought in the war ? There is a difference.

Billybob4491 Mon 12-Apr-21 18:03:24

What did Prince Philip mean to me? not a lot really.

eazybee Mon 12-Apr-21 18:05:01

A man who exemplified duty and loyalty; a reformer, an innovator and so blessedly politically incorrect.

MayBee70 Mon 12-Apr-21 18:07:31

I can’t get over the fact that Johnson, in Parliament today, said that Prince Phillip described the Russians as bastards. I don’t think it’s a word I’ve ever heard used in parliament before and didn’t look good for the Duke, Johnson or our relationship with Russia. Methinks it’s a combination of two people one deceased and one not that didn’t/don’t understand tact and diplomacy. Having said that I found it insulting to the late Duke that it was brought up on the world stage.

Buffybee Mon 12-Apr-21 18:08:34

suziewoozie
Yes! He was a war hero who was mentioned in dispatches during the battle of Capa Matapan and was awarded the Greek War Cross.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 18:15:36

Buffybee

suziewoozie
Yes! He was a war hero who was mentioned in dispatches during the battle of Capa Matapan and was awarded the Greek War Cross.

He was mentioned in dispatches for an act of bravery. I think hero has to mean more than that else we devalue for example our VCs. There’s no need to overage the pudding is there? My FIL was mentioned in dispatches and I guess there’s plenty on here who had relatives also mentioned. It’s enough to say that and not over do it.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 18:16:32

MayBee70

I can’t get over the fact that Johnson, in Parliament today, said that Prince Phillip described the Russians as bastards. I don’t think it’s a word I’ve ever heard used in parliament before and didn’t look good for the Duke, Johnson or our relationship with Russia. Methinks it’s a combination of two people one deceased and one not that didn’t/don’t understand tact and diplomacy. Having said that I found it insulting to the late Duke that it was brought up on the world stage.

You can always rely on a Johnson. ?

Cherrytree59 Mon 12-Apr-21 18:16:48

I often wonder what great things the people who are so quick to criticise or pour scorn have achieved in their lives??

Prnce Phillip has been on my radar as I have only known one monarch and he was her husband.

I was aware of some of his World War 2 service and that he had been mentioned in dispatches.
I am aware of the Duke of Edinburgh Awards scheme which I believe has helped many young people to test themselves and achieve.
He was head of several charities.

What he means to me?
He was part of our British stability and continuity

His demise seems to have caused the first crack in the continuity of what most us as Brits have always known and grown up with .

When the Queen Elizabeth eventually dies, I feel he sands of time will shift.
A new era?

Buffybee Mon 12-Apr-21 18:20:17

Some very bitter people on this thread....

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 18:21:37

Buffybee

Some very bitter people on this thread....

Bitter = not bring a sycophant ?

Here’s a war hero btw

Britain's last surviving World War Two Victoria Cross hero turns 100 www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-52704526