Gransnet forums

Chat

What did Prince Phillip mean to you?

(220 Posts)
Newatthis Mon 12-Apr-21 15:51:59

A tribe in the Pacific island nation of Vanuatu is in mourning after the death last week of Britain’s Prince Philip, who they revered as a god. The Prince Philip Movement has existed for 50 years in two villages, and is believed to have a few hundred followers. In 1974 the prince visited the area with Queen Elizabeth II, and reportedly took part in local ceremonies. According to anthropologists, Philip is seen as the re-embodiment of a powerful mountain spirit, and for the next few weeks the villagers will conduct rites for the Duke, whose funeral is set for Saturday. What did Prince Phillip mean to you?

AmberSpyglass Mon 12-Apr-21 15:53:45

He was an embarrassing racist.

EllanVannin Mon 12-Apr-21 15:56:44

He was the Queen's husband, loyal to the end.

BlueBelle Mon 12-Apr-21 15:58:17

Absolutely nothing, just an elderly man who d had a pretty good long life

Kate1949 Mon 12-Apr-21 16:01:22

I never gave him a thought.

foxie48 Mon 12-Apr-21 16:05:36

Nothing and tbh I was heartily sick of the coverage of his death in the media. I was especially annoyed that the final of Master Chef wasn't shown on the TV.

Callistemon Mon 12-Apr-21 16:10:00

I was especially annoyed that the final of Master Chef wasn't shown on the TV.

? Thank you Philip!
Every cloud has a silver lining.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Apr-21 16:11:06

I am a Republican, so he represented to me an arcane institution. He was in the enviable unelected position of being able to influence and support both the head of state and various charities that he supported.

Saying all that his (as well as the rest of the Windsor family) position is in our gift, so it makes no sense criticising him as an individual and the role he played within the RF.

Therefore given where we are, I think within his limitations, he played his role as consort to the best of his ability.

His notorious comments reflect his attitude and sense of entitlement.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 12-Apr-21 16:12:24

I quite liked what I saw of him, but none of us know what anyone in the limelight is really like. I didn’t watch any coverage either. No need for that at all, and I think he would have agreed! My friend’s dad died the day before, so I felt sad for her. There’s so much coverage over a 99 year old man, but none on the, I’m sure, countless other people who died that day.

Hithere Mon 12-Apr-21 16:14:10

Nothing

Blossoming Mon 12-Apr-21 16:14:41

He was a very distant public figure. I mean no disrespect and I’m sorry when I hear of any death but he didn’t really mean anything to me.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 16:15:28

Nothing

trisher Mon 12-Apr-21 16:15:44

Nothing

EllanVannin Mon 12-Apr-21 16:19:01

Dame Shirley Williams has died too.She was 90. Lovely lady.

Callistemon Mon 12-Apr-21 16:21:28

Oh, that is sad. She was a remarkable woman.

Has anyone started a thread?

Anniebach Mon 12-Apr-21 16:21:43

His acceptance of taking the role of consort years earlier that was expected.

The Duke of Edinburgh Awards

His sense of humour

His kindness to my family and friends in Aberfan, at that time
and many times in the years following.

AGAA4 Mon 12-Apr-21 16:23:19

I have just seen him accompanying the Queen mainly and have had no real interest in him.

EllanVannin Mon 12-Apr-21 16:28:58

Not that I know of Callistemon. I just thought I'd throw it in for good measure grin

Callistemon Mon 12-Apr-21 16:31:25

I've started one now, EllanVannin

Gannygangan Mon 12-Apr-21 16:31:35

I always liked him.

One of my favourite members of the RF

I'm not a fanatical RF fan by any means but I'm quite happy to have them.

FannyCornforth Mon 12-Apr-21 16:35:23

And to think that three weeks ago I had my perfectly acceptable posts about the DoE deleted, with GNHQ struggling to provide any justification.

ottypotty Mon 12-Apr-21 16:40:29

I thought he lived a privileged lifestyle, but was a strong devoted man, who was the backbone of the royal family, I will miss his presence.

Sago Mon 12-Apr-21 16:42:04

A good man who’s legacy will continue to help thousands of young people.

Lord forbid the Queen dies and disrupts “Strictly”

lavenderzen Mon 12-Apr-21 16:44:12

Nothing much to me personally but I have seen the pictures these last few days of the Queen and him together, and you can see just how much she adored him. That's enough for me.

grandmajet Mon 12-Apr-21 16:47:10

The Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme.
The Prince Philip cup.
Outward Bound courses.
Caring for the environment.
‘Give tv interviews by all means, but don’t talk about yourself’
‘People have got to live their lives as they think best’
Humour.
Duty.
As you can tell, I quite liked him. He looked outward at the world and not inwards at himself, unlike many these days.