Gransnet forums

Chat

What did Prince Phillip mean to you?

(221 Posts)
Newatthis Mon 12-Apr-21 15:51:59

A tribe in the Pacific island nation of Vanuatu is in mourning after the death last week of Britain’s Prince Philip, who they revered as a god. The Prince Philip Movement has existed for 50 years in two villages, and is believed to have a few hundred followers. In 1974 the prince visited the area with Queen Elizabeth II, and reportedly took part in local ceremonies. According to anthropologists, Philip is seen as the re-embodiment of a powerful mountain spirit, and for the next few weeks the villagers will conduct rites for the Duke, whose funeral is set for Saturday. What did Prince Phillip mean to you?

Ilovecheese Wed 14-Apr-21 14:06:16

Yes, Annibach you have made your opinion quite clear. I was just trying to explain why I hold a different opinion to your own.

3nanny6 Wed 14-Apr-21 14:22:07

SueDonim

Thank-you for further information . I listened to one of the televised documentaries on D of E over the weekend and heard them saying his mother was born in Windsor Castle and the same documentary said that Princess Alice was later buried at Windsor Castle. Perhaps when the funeral is televised on Saturday they may mention it again and may come up with the correct information.

Anniebach to just point out that some human beings are privileged is only stating how some people see it

Prince Phillip was a member of the Royal Family who suffered pain that is undeniable. As an 8 year old he had the trauma and loss of his parents and the separation from his siblings.

He had the fortunate credentials that took him to Gordonstoun so I compare that to other young children and their are many that lost parents and siblings and were put into orphanages and came out of them with very little and disadvantaged many to die young themselves without much to show for their lives that is a huge contrast between wealth
and poverty no matter how anyone wants to see it.

MayBee70 Wed 14-Apr-21 14:54:36

Somewhat amused to see that, having had the wall to wall covering of the Dukes death on tv last week the Queen has just had a winner at Newmarket. Can’t help but feel that she would have wanted life to continue as normal. Hope it cheered her up anyway.

Bridgeit Wed 14-Apr-21 14:56:30

...... meanwhile there are Still starving family’s throughout the world .
Equality , be it wealth and/or health cannot & will not ever exist .
It is not right, & it is not fair.
There is enough to go around , but there isn’t sufficient will & determination to make it go around. Until humans find a way or the will to ensure all are catered for it will sadly remain so,
This will be so with or without Royal Families, the very wealthy, the not quite so wealthy etc etc etc ......

Anniebach Wed 14-Apr-21 15:12:22

True Bridgeit all you name and those with second homes when many are homeless. Those with two cars when many struggle to find bus fare, those who enjoy eating in restaurants when many need food banks.

Daisend1 Wed 14-Apr-21 15:19:10

Anniebach
I am sure it doesn't and never will , how ever much money available , ease the pain of losing those we love and lost .
It can only lessen the financial burden that many are left with.
Where royalty are concerned ? most unlikely.

Pammie1 Wed 14-Apr-21 15:28:43

In all honesty I never thought much about him until the news of his death. I’m not a monarchist, but I felt quite sad, because, like the queen, he’s been ‘there’ all my life. He had a good, long life and served the country well, but my thoughts are with the queen. I lost my husband four years ago after 40 years together and it was devastating. I can only imagine how it must feel after 73 years.

Bridgeit Wed 14-Apr-21 15:33:43

There will never ever be equality for humans..... as we sit pontificating on here , people are starving .... do we stop having what we have,? will it help anyone .? We can only Do what we can when & where we see an opportunity to do so.

Bridgeit Wed 14-Apr-21 15:37:18

In fact there is no equality for any living thing on earth.... only winners & losers & everything & anything in between, .....
But a kind word or thoughtful deed can make a huge difference for just one moment in all our lives.

Anniebach Wed 14-Apr-21 17:16:04

So true Bridgeit

3nanny6 Wed 14-Apr-21 17:55:44

That's true Bridgeit,

Whether it is us giving the kind word or doing a thoughtful deed or the other way around when someone is helping us that is the moments that make such a difference to life.

Shirlb Wed 14-Apr-21 18:25:46

Nothing didn’t know the man ☹️

MamaCaz Wed 14-Apr-21 18:47:10

Same as Shirlb and many before her have said.

timetogo2016 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:12:15

I have always liked him,he was honest in his opinions no bull s..t, said what he was thinking,was always there for the Queen,a good father/g/ father/g g father .
Whats there not to like ?.
I didn`t find him racist,arrogant or a hyprocit .
I will miss him especially when the Queen is doing her duties bless her.

AmberSpyglass Sun 18-Apr-21 12:33:27

Yeah, honest in his racist opinions. Such a hero. Ugh.

Bridgeit Wed 21-Apr-21 18:37:32

I believe he used language that we quite rightly identify today as being racist.But I do not believe he was ‘ A racist ‘

Hithere Wed 21-Apr-21 22:14:10

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck!

Outspoken is another way for having no filter.

Hithere Wed 21-Apr-21 22:22:22

There is no reason to be this rude and insensitive, no matter who you are

Some of his gems are
"Still throwing spears?” (question put to an Aboriginal Australian during a visit).

“There’s a lot of your family in tonight” (after looking at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians).

“The Philippines must be half-empty as you’re all here running the NHS” (on meeting a Filipino nurse at Luton and Dunstable Hospital)."

My own parents say: we are not racist, but races shouldn't mix

Callistemon Wed 21-Apr-21 22:38:35

The Philippines must be half-empty as you’re all here running the NHS” (on meeting a Filipino nurse at Luton and Dunstable Hospital).
Is that racist?
Thank goodness for all the great Filipino nurses working for the NHS - I've been nursed by some of them.

Whether or not it was right to poach them for our NHS when they might have been needed at home is one for the politicians

Callistemon Wed 21-Apr-21 22:41:13

Still throwing spears?” (question put to an Aboriginal Australian during a visit).

Taken out of context it sounds shocking but he was on a visit to Tjabukai where they demonstrate spear throwing, give boomerang throwing lessons etc.