Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(81 Posts)
12Michael Sun 18-Apr-21 06:13:22

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another bright and dry start here in Brackley ,but maybe a bit chilly outside .
Yesterdays trip out went to plan , but got back home to see the the important section of the funeral .
The eating outside in buckingham , saw most of its cafes doing likewise , I went to my regular one there, but aprt from the air chill a nice dayout.
Take Care,
Mick

Grandmabatty Sun 18-Apr-21 08:05:47

Good morning all. The glorious weather has changed and it's raining in Polmont. It's a bit disappointing but we've had lovely blue skies for ages so I mustn't complain. My Ds ended up with a sunburnt face yesterday. I hope it isn't too bad.
Mick that sounds like you had a good day out. Harrigran ? I hope the message hasn't upset you too much. Ashcombe a fitting tribute by the Poet Laureate. Thank you for sharing. Gillgran have a lovely time by the sea.
Yesterday I was busy and seemed to pack a lot into the day. I even baked a lime and coconut cake which was a new one for me and naturally I had to try it. It is delicious! I had a two hour video chat with a lovely friend who I haven't been able to see in the flesh for months. Then, like many of you, I watched the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh. I felt sorry for the Queen sitting alone and so frail. The Piper playing the Flowers of the Forest was incredibly moving.
Today will be a quiet one and that suits me fine. I'll make a chicken and ham pie for dinner and I have a fancy to make cheese straws. Apart from that, I'll potter about.
Have a good day all.

Dwmxwg Sun 18-Apr-21 08:10:15

Good morning from north Surrey. Cold and bright and an early start, walked to DD with the dog as she is on an early. Online Pilates done with dog climbing all over me and now trying to coax boys to have breakfast but glum faces as daddy not coming today.
I have work this afternoon so will walk back with boys and DH will look after them for couple of hour until mum collects.
We too found the funeral very moving yesterday, particularly as all chosen by the Duke. The readings and music were poignant.
Wishing all a positive day with plenty of ☀️??

brook2704 Sun 18-Apr-21 08:10:54

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s cloudy with some light rain just now
Yesterday I enjoyed a short walk in the morning and then watched the very moving and sad funeral in the afternoon. Thank you for the beautiful poem Ash
Hopefully a video call with DS today, we should have been visiting him in Switzerland in June but yesterday I got an email from easyJet cancelling the flights. So it’s plan B whatever that is .... but I doubt that we’ll be able to meet up anytime soon so will have to manage with weekly video calls for now
Lovely photo gwenisgreat a happy little lad!
Thinking of you harrigran hope the message isn’t too worrying
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today, even something small and take care all whatever the day brings ?

ginny Sun 18-Apr-21 08:13:26

Good Morning all. Looks like we should get some more sunshine today here in N. Bucks .
DD2 coming for lunch in the garden and the we shall visit a local garden centre.
MIL arrived yesterday after her first hair appointment. She is 89 and has always had her hair coloured. Yesterday however it was it’s natural colour , a lovely soft silver. She said she didn’t like it as it made her look 10 years older ?but we thought it looked so much better. We did a family Whatsapp poll and they all agreed . We’ll see what she decides .
Hope you all find a ?today.

maydonoz Sun 18-Apr-21 08:16:16

Good morning all from a sunny and bright Welwyn in Herts.
We watched the funeral of D of E yesterday and it was indeed a lovely service, but so sad for the family especially the Queen. I'm sure they'll all rally round and support her.
Today we plan a drive in DS2's car as we return it to him from repair at the garage which is local to us.
They will have pizza for lunch from a real Italian pizzeria for us, we've had it before and is very good. The weather should be suitable to enjoy outdoors. I made a semolina cake with syrup (revani) to have later. He will take us home in the evening.
Hope you all have a pleasant Sunday whatever you're doing.

baubles Sun 18-Apr-21 08:20:30

Good morning Mick, morning all from South Lanarkshire where we have grey skies unfortunately. Glad you had a good day out yesterday Mick.

Nothing of note happening today. I was thinking of crocheting a solid granny square blanket but wondering if I can be bothered with the sewing together or if it will end up being just a bag full of squares in the back of a cupboard.

Lovely photo Gwen, one of my DGDs is a particularly dedicated climber of trees and rocks, my heart is in my mouth at times with her antics.

Wishing everyone a peaceful Sunday.

Anniebach Sun 18-Apr-21 08:22:17

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

EllanVannin Sun 18-Apr-21 08:29:15

Good Morning All x.
A bright start to the day with a very calm atmosphere. The birds singing their little hearts out, interrupted by cockatiels in someone's aviary. Still slightly nippy though.

I didn't half dream last night. I was in South Africa looking for a shop that was open selling post-cards of all things ! I'd bought something because I was carrying a bag, but can't remember what grin, then suddenly the bag had vanished, purse and all.
I was glad I woke at that point to realise it wasn't true. shock
Lost youth ? Most peculiar.

I think the moment that touched me yesterday was when the Queen's car pulled up outside the chapel. One lonely figure, so very sad. Then she looked around, possibly for other members of the family, a lost soul.

I won't be up to much today apart from doing my dinner for later. The last two M&S lamb chops, creamed pots, carrot and turnip and brocolli. That'll fill a hole.

Still haven't seen D yet so haven't caught up with any news up to date. Not always keen on these long pauses as I never know what they can throw up as D can be a bit of a dark horse at times and isn't always forthright in what she has to say. I should know her by now, though it does seem to run in the family. Like getting blood out of a stone grin Could be me who's overly nosey of course !

Hope things are alright in your quarters Harrigran and you have a restful day with your "patients". x.

Hoping too that everyone's alright and enjoying life slightly more now that lockdown has been lifted----for the time being anyway. Make the most of it, though a bit gingerly smile.

Mick's nearly back to normal by the look of things, good on you.

Thoughts go to those with uphill struggles as well as our absent friends. Take care everyone and stay safe xx

Marydoll Sun 18-Apr-21 08:30:13

Good morning all from a wet Glasgow. I had planned to go into the garden today, but that looks highly unlikely!
I still have bulbs to plant, it's taking me forever, since, I can only do a bit at a time.

Yesterday seemed to fly by, between looking after MrMD, an unexpected visit from my two sons and Dollie ?.
My sons haven't really seen each other since DS1 did not approve of DDs lockdown wedding in our garden, but DS2 did and attended.
DS2's fiancée had been wild swimming ❄ in the reservoir near our home, now that travel restrictions have been eased, so they popped in on the way home. It was an unexpected surprise.
( Litterpicker, yet another clue, to my location )

Then the doorbell rang and only one person I know, now she can reach it, rings the doorbell like that. All I could see, behind the glass was a little head, bobbing up and down in excitement! ?
Without saying DS2 was here, I sent her to the back garden. She was overcome with excitement, when she spotted Beardie Rapunzel, which is what she calls her uncle, DS2. She hadn't seen him for a year.
DS1 was not! Cue awkward moment! I had thought of pulling the vulnerable mum card and asking them to reconcile, before it is too late for me to see it, but it wasn't the right moment. ?

My lovely prospective DIL, has a no nonsense approach and I was so proud of her, when she made a point of engaging with DS1, much to his discomfiture. He is too stubborn for his own good. ?
I blame his father, apple not falling far from the tree and all that! ?

Usually DH has an adventure with Dollie in the garden, but of course he was feeling sorry for himself indisposed, I am a poor substitute for going on a lion hunt, which is what she demanded. ?. My heart was in my mouth, she is fearless and has become very adept at climbing trees, in fact anything, which is climbable! ?
It is no surprise, that I fell asleep, watching the D of E's funeral, I was wiped out. ?

Thanks for your good wishes for DH yesterday. Thankfully, he is much improved. Rarely unwell, he does not make a good patient and I was quite concerned about him. Despite all my moans about him, I would be lost without him!
I'm delighted to say I have received the Florence Nightingale
?award for services to nursing, under extremely difficult conditions. ?
I did point out to him, that he way he was feeling, was what I experience most days.?
I plan to indulge myself in read the Sunday papers and do very little.
There is some left over chicken, so I may make some crêpes and fill them. I haven't done that for yonks. An easy meal.

Harri, I hope your phone message hasn't unsettled you too much. For all who are struggling, wishing you a gentle day, for those with plans, enjoy!
I shall come back later, read your posts and respond or not, depending what the day brings. ?

Gelisajams Sun 18-Apr-21 08:30:45

Good morning all from a grey cool Morecambe Bay.
Church shortly then we are off to SD’s 40th birthday ‘party’.
Our slot is 3- 5pm. I really don’t want to go as we don’t get on at all, but DH really wants me to accompany him.
Take care and stay safe everyone ???

Boonsbabe Sun 18-Apr-21 08:33:54

Good morning all - first time actually participating in something like this but you all seemed such lovely folk so thought - why not? Looks like it is going to be a lovely day here in South Lincolnshire so a day in the garden is probably on the cards. Enjoy your day everyone!

Urmstongran Sun 18-Apr-21 08:39:59

We now have ☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️ here!
Gorgeous.
?

Greyduster Sun 18-Apr-21 08:41:14

Good morning Michael and all GNs. Rather indifferent weather this morning in South Yorkshire but warmer and no frost last night.
We watched the funeral yesterday. Though scaled down, it was perfectly correographed in a way that one has come to expect from our military and the service was lovely. HRH would have been well pleased. Our poor Queen looked so diminished sitting there alone.
GS is running in his first athletics meeting for some time this morning. It's good to see things getting back to something like normal for our youngsters. We will see him later as DD has invited us to lunch - no idea what we will be having! If SiL has cooked it, it will be tasty.
Enjoy your Sunday one and all

Greyduster Sun 18-Apr-21 08:42:53

Welcome Boonsbabe! Why not indeed??

EllanVannin Sun 18-Apr-21 08:43:26

Isn't it lovely to see all the new people here ? Boonsbabe I include you too---welcome to all flowers

Ellianne Sun 18-Apr-21 08:46:06

Welcome Boonsbabe. I have only been here two weeks but this thread is my early morning treat. Everyone is lovely and I'm getting to know more about them.

Ellianne Sun 18-Apr-21 08:49:09

Good morning everyone.
After due consideration yesterday, I decided to give the beach a miss in case it was busy at the weekend. I'd rather avoid any dangers.
So off I went with the dog to the woods where I met this killer snake instead!!
Back up the beach from now!

Gingster Sun 18-Apr-21 08:49:35

Good morning and it’s a beautiful start to the day here on the Suffolk Coast. Still a chill wind.

Last evening I sat on the beach with my book club pals and had a chat for nearly an hour. To say it was freezing is an understatement. ???. Good to see them though and catch up with their doings.

My friends DM died last week and she has asked me to pen a lighthearted poem for the funeral. ??. I’ve known her mum since I was 5 but a tricky lady to say the least. I was quite scared of her as a child. What on earth can I do? My friend wants references to her love of the seaside and fish and chips and also that she was a jazz fan. Any thoughts? Ash or anyone else? Please!!.

I enjoyed PP’s funeral and thought it was perfect. That blue blue sky kept reminding me of Harry and Megans’s wedding nearly 3 years ago. Another perfect day. Poor Queen !

We did a bit more painting of the summerhouse and today should finish the first coat. ??.

DH has just taken little pooch out along the beach. Unheard of as he usually sleeps til 10 ish , then has a cuppa and reads the papers, then has breakfast and then we both take the dog out.
No urgency with my DH. ?

Harrigran hope all your worries ease ?

Nannytopsy glad you had a lovely day by the sea.

Wishing everyone a good day ????

Grandmajean Sun 18-Apr-21 08:54:20

Sunny again here in Cheshire.
Watched the funeral and then went for a walk to cheer myself up. Lazy start today. Will read messages later.
Trying very hard to enjoy "Line of Duty" - only on season two as never fancied it but decided it must be good. Hate to say it but am struggling. Think I'm the only person in the country who isn't hooked

Grandmafrench Sun 18-Apr-21 09:01:34

Good Morning everyone. Beautiful day here in S of France - though not as warm as it should be. Still warm enough for brunch in the garden, though. Darling H’s Birthday today ??, so the full English will start our day here.

I thought the funeral was perfection - if one can say that about a very sad occasion. Everything was quite beautiful - the setting, the military, the music, and ...... the stillness. Without crowds and traffic and endless cars and carriages, not to mention hundreds of mourners and dignitaries, it seemed much more appropriate somehow. So very glad that the Duke’s wishes and plans were respected.

Enjoy your break, gillgran. Have a decent Sunday and control your worries, harri. Welcome boonsbabe - we’re all lovely folk on this thread - a surprisingly easy thing to be!

brook - maybe trains or drive? Don’t let the failed flights get you down. Things change all the time so fingers will be kept crossed for you!

Well, I’m off to create bacon and sausagey smells in the kitchen. Have a good Sunday and keep safe, dear GMers.
Hugs from me in France ???? and a ? or two on the top!

Purplepixie Sun 18-Apr-21 09:02:11

Good morning from a sunny and a bit cloudy east Midlands. More gardening today with a walk to the shop.

EkwaNimitee Sun 18-Apr-21 09:09:28

Good morning, Mick and all from a bright but currently overcast Carlisle.
So much to get on with but I would never have missed the DoE's funeral which was so moving and impressive. It's a pity the family had to socially distance and wear face masks and maybe they would have liked more family there. However, I suspect that they may have been glad they didn't have to invite all the heads of state and politicians and entertain them afterwards.
As an army daughter, brought up watching military parades, I appreciated the precision display by our guys in uniform. They did the Duke and country proud as usual. We are the best. Don't you have your hearts in your mouths though when you watch them carrying that coffin up the steps?!
Ashcombe, thank you for the poems. I don't think I've ever cared for previous laureates'efforts but that was lovely.
Today, boring admin and possibly watering the new turves again as they are suffering a bit of shrinkage. We have had no rain for weeks and none in prospect.
The best day possible to you all.

muse Sun 18-Apr-21 09:13:28

Good morning Mick and all.
Sunny but still cold and frosty in Cornwall. MrM said it was -1° in his workshop last night. No plants going outside until the new moon in May. Jax did tell me the phrase the French have for this.

I decided to hibernate yesterday except for going out for the 2nd pfizer which turned out to be OK. Lots more questions about meds and after effects from the 1st. The doctor did a really thorough check.

I felt mentally and physically drained when I woke up yesterday hence the hibernation from everyone and everything.

I'll be catching up with two days news.
??☀️

dustyangel Sun 18-Apr-21 09:14:41

Good morning all from a bright and sunny Portugal. The second sunny day in a row gives me hope that the torrential rain of a couple of days ago is gone.
Our occasional gardener is coming today and bringing his “maquina” to cut back all the weeds in the parking area. He is a builder by trade and Portuguese is his second language (Russian being his first); so we usually encounter some difficulties!

I enjoyed reading the poem you printed Ashcombe. I found the whole service moving and so meticulously planned. In a strange way the very emptiness of Windsor castle and it’s grounds brought home the closeness that the queen and her duke had over the last year. So hard for her now.

aggie Sun 18-Apr-21 09:18:47

Good Morning all, we have rain ! Actually it is needed as our garden dries out very quickly,
I didn’t watch any of “Line of Duty” but that’s mainly because I go too bed fairly early and it takes me an hour of footering about before I hit the sack
The funeral yesterday was sad , I couldn’t help comparing it to the pomp and ceremony that would have taken place but for the pandemic, and I found it a lot more moving
DD is at me to get my cleaner back ! I don’t think the house is a midden! But that’s what she thinks , I do sweep up the crumbs ? but I’m not great at washing floors , who was it said “dust protects the furniture “ ??