Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you Wash New Clothes?

(220 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 18-Apr-21 13:33:00

Hello Everyone!
Boring but Potentially Divisive Thread Alert

Do you wash brand new clothes?

There was a thread about this a while ago on MN.

Apparently, new clothes can actually be quite dirty and germy.

I've recently bought quite a few new dresses and I'm genuinely torn whether to wash them or not (I know; first world probs and all that).

Wash or not? ?

FannyCornforth Sun 18-Apr-21 16:02:16

Jaxjacky

Who’s said they’re dirty and germy?
And no I don’t.

Folk who work in their manufacturer.
There's a couple of them upthread

Greeneyedgirl Sun 18-Apr-21 16:06:01

try them on in shops BlueBelle. Are you thinking of the olden days grin

BlueBelle Sun 18-Apr-21 16:55:47

No Greeeyesd not the old pen days we are allowed to try on in shops since last Monday

silverlining48 Sun 18-Apr-21 16:58:19

Its never occured to me to wash new clothes before wearing them. I like the opportunity to return them to the shop if i change my mind.
I always wash things i have bought from a charity shop though, just in case....wink

Kim19 Sun 18-Apr-21 17:02:03

No. Never. My Mum always did though.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 18-Apr-21 17:08:54

What if they are dry clean?

Greeneyedgirl Sun 18-Apr-21 17:17:35

Crikey, BB, I haven’t done clothes shopping in the flesh as it were yet, do they still quarantine them for 72 hours afterwards?

JackyB Sun 18-Apr-21 17:20:39

NotSpaghetti

I always wash anything touching the skin and mostly wash things that don't. This is because I have been inside factories and seen how even quite expensive garments are manufactured.
I've seen the storage facilities and crates of products too - so it just makes me feel more comfortable.

I entirely agree. Who knows what warehouses/ships/containers these articles have been through before reaching the shop? I couldn't bear to put something on that has not been washed.

H1954 Sun 18-Apr-21 17:22:51

Make my own clothes but I do wash the fabric first.......in case it shrinks ?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 18-Apr-21 17:33:23

I buy all my clothes online. They come wrapped and clearly never worn.

Amberone Sun 18-Apr-21 17:41:20

Its never occured to me to wash new clothes before wearing them. I like the opportunity to return them to the shop if i change my mind.

Aren't you supposed to return them to the shop before you wear them if you change your mind???? Does that mean you wear them with the tags on?

I didn't think clothes came with a 'trial wear'.

mokryna Sun 18-Apr-21 18:07:45

Knickers and bras yes I do.

Some sales assistances wear the shop clothes putting them back on the rail, they say it helps sales, also there are clients who wear before returning the article, they tuck the labels inside. I just cross my fingers hoping it’s not the case when I buy because I don’t wash them.

I was told once that a lady returned a hat saying it was unsuitable, fortunately for the shop she had had her photograph in the local rag.

BlueSky Sun 18-Apr-21 19:01:28

Yes always to freshen them up, obviously not coats or jackets.

LadyGracie Sun 18-Apr-21 19:04:14

Always, I like to get the stiffness out of things, I think clothes fall better after washing.

LindaPat Sun 18-Apr-21 19:11:08

For myself , no. For my DH, yes , everything that touches his skin! Something in the finishing process irritates his skin, and brings him out in a bright red rash. x

Delila Sun 18-Apr-21 19:17:01

I find that black jeans or jeggings frequently have an oily smell, which lingers after several washes. I always washed them before wearing but it was wasted effort. I think it must be something in the black dye they use.

mumofmadboys Sun 18-Apr-21 19:19:14

New clothes never, charity shop buys always

Tangerine Sun 18-Apr-21 19:20:58

No. Definitely not.

silverlining48 Sun 18-Apr-21 19:40:19

Amberone To clarify, no I dont wear new clothes outdoors and then return them. Wouldn't dream of it.
I try them at home after buying, and keep or return, which is what I imagine most everyone does.

Trisha57 Sun 18-Apr-21 19:52:11

I've never really thought about it before reading this thread. In the "old days" I used to wash new jeans before wearing as I found they turned my legs blue if I wore them without washing first! Knickers in sealed packs I would assume are clean - are they not?

Witzend Sun 18-Apr-21 19:57:14

It’s never even occurred to me TBH.

mokryna Sun 18-Apr-21 20:05:39

Trisha57 I wash underwear because of the the fabric finish on them makes me itch.

M0nica Sun 18-Apr-21 20:18:08

No.

Yammy Sun 18-Apr-21 20:23:42

No, I don't wash new clothes but I do wash new towels and bedding my mum always did.

WishIwasyounger Sun 18-Apr-21 22:13:40

Only undies.