Gransnet forums

Chat

What has improved with age?

(47 Posts)
nanna8 Tue 20-Apr-21 13:42:31

Apart from some wines that is. We hear so much about how bodies and general health tend to deteriorate with age, but what actually improves?
Tact and discretion?
Financial situation ( or not !)
Wisdom in general, hopefully and generally
Cooking ability?

Serendipity22 Tue 27-Apr-21 14:38:15

Hahahahahaha lemongrove I can only agree on that 1..... nowt to do whatsoever!! smile

narrowboatnan Sun 25-Apr-21 16:23:04

Narrowboat Grandpa’s patience.

Seamus89 Fri 23-Apr-21 02:58:39

I really enjoy not giving a shiny sh@t about what others think .
Gosh, it’s taken me 65 years to figure that out ?

Yorki Thu 22-Apr-21 20:08:18

I've found I'm much more patient and less flighty than I ever used to be. Maybe financial situation slightly better. But sadly not much more.

Alioop Thu 22-Apr-21 19:16:56

My ability to get things done all by myself, no man needed here

AGAA4 Thu 22-Apr-21 16:26:08

Can't do much about my age but many other things have improved. More time to do what I want, better off than when I was younger and grandchildren.

Elvis58 Thu 22-Apr-21 16:18:34

I am happier in my own skin.l suppose its confidence that you gain from lifes experiences and the ability not to give a fig about anything!

Jillybird Thu 22-Apr-21 14:58:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nanna8 Thu 22-Apr-21 14:07:31

Another thing is you don't have to follow fashion- you wear what suits you. Peer group pressure and keeping up appearances is a thing of the past!

netflixfan Thu 22-Apr-21 13:50:01

It is nicer in all of the above ways, but outweighed by pesky health problems I'm afraid.

cupcake1 Thu 22-Apr-21 13:41:15

Exactly as overthehill apart from the redundancy sentence. My patience has not improved and my temper hasn’t faultered in the slightest ? but I’m a friendly person- honestly !!!

overthehill Thu 22-Apr-21 13:12:34

Since retiring doing just what I want. Also as others have said, no money worries. We had years of uncertainty with hubs job then redundancy for him and me. Re. the sex thing. When I hit the menopause at 54 desire left town. To keep hubs happy I put myself out occasionally, but if it were left to me, I wouldn't bother.

Witzend Thu 22-Apr-21 13:02:48

Possibly my patience.
And my ability to give not a toss what other people think. I won’t say I never give a toss at all, but it’s 95% better than when I was young (and stupid).

icanhandthemback Thu 22-Apr-21 13:02:27

My self esteem. I was riddled with anxiety as a child and young person but I pretty much decided that I was who I was as I got older and if people didn't like me, that was their problem. I think it has been living with my husband who has that philosophy which has rubbed off on me. I feel so much more comfortable in my own skin nowadays.

Buttonjugs Thu 22-Apr-21 12:39:44

My life has improved exponentially since I decided to remain single thirteen years ago. I found relationships difficult to maintain. Since I have been single I’ve realised who I really am, not the drunk party animal always seeking attention, in reality I am very quiet, unassuming and have obsessive interests that I would never have indulged before because I worried what others thought. I’m not Bet Lynch, I am Hayley Cropper! I strongly suspect I am on the spectrum but was trying to pretend to be normal most of my life. I don’t care what people think now, I am who I am.

Nanette1955 Thu 22-Apr-21 12:35:14

Well surprisingly my sex life is much better at 66 than it was in my younger days, my finances, empathy for others, as I’m not nearly as judgemental as I was in my younger days. My taste buds, much happier to try something new now, my self esteem. Actually apart from the body moving south, and the brain getting ready to move out I think, life’s good as an oldie! ?

Patsmith2 Thu 22-Apr-21 12:22:28

Not caring what other people think.

Having retired, more time to spend with family, friends, to help others and to travel, when we can.

Battersea1971 Thu 22-Apr-21 12:03:46

Nothing much improves with age. Maybe you're a bit more confident and better off. But then if you have no husband you lose more than you gain. Your looks go, you have aches and pains, you put on weight. Sorry its all doom and gloom.

Musicgirl Thu 22-Apr-21 11:33:21

I worry less about trivial things, finances are much better and my husband and I have grown ever closer. Also, I agree, no periods is a bonus.

SecondhandRose Thu 22-Apr-21 10:54:08

I am less judgemental and a better listener.

Janetashbolt Thu 22-Apr-21 10:53:51

My back bone has disintegrated I can't say no to anyone, get walked all over.

henetha Thu 22-Apr-21 10:53:09

The ability to rationalise things better and not get so het up
about trivialities.

Shinamae Thu 22-Apr-21 10:51:42

Luckylegs

Oh, I wish Bluebellwould, I have no sex drive at all, never have had.

Nor me....

JaneJudge Thu 22-Apr-21 10:49:29

my ability to keep plants alive!

Florida12 Thu 22-Apr-21 10:49:23

My patience, tolerance, I have learned to listen and not give advice, unless asked for.