Gransnet forums

Chat

Bra sizes, anyone?

(88 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sun 25-Apr-21 16:26:48

After essential shops reopened, I went to buy new underwear. I was not sure about bra size, so I picked three different makes and sizes to try on.
The highest number, which I expected to be the biggest, was too small.
The other two were a smaller size but different cup sizes. The D cup was smaller than the B cup!
Having made my choice, I went back to the racks to find another one the same. I struggled to find the right rack, then had to grovel at floor level to find the right size. Nothing in white, so I had to settle for flesh colour.
Why is bra sizing such a game of trial and error?

greenlady102 Tue 27-Apr-21 12:24:04

Are you on facebook? There is a WONDERFUL page on there called Booborbust which is really helpful of you can't find the right bra. They also have a website. They help with how to measure yourself properly and all about finding the right bra for you.

inishowen Tue 27-Apr-21 12:25:14

I get cross that the bigger sizes in M&S are nearest the floor. Gone are the days when I can crouch down to floor level to find my size.

Silverlady79 Tue 27-Apr-21 12:36:01

Can’t beat the Fantasie bras from John Lewis, order them online pick them up at Waitrose, try them on at home Sizes very consistent and fabulous support. Real quality bras. ( 34e)

DutchDoll Tue 27-Apr-21 13:10:02

I'm a 44DD or E.
I find the Anita Jana bra to be the most comfortable. No wires, wide straps so they don't dismember you! Cotton mainly so comfortable in hot weather.
My favourite colour is champagne, white or black. I don't like the skin coloured one as it's nowhere near my pale skintone.

They are about £45 but do last longer than most. I machine wash on 30 degrees but always put each one into a Lakeland lingerie bag which helps protect the bra but also stops the bra hooks catching other items!

I now get mine from Amazon but have previously bought from Figleaves but Figleaves are now spread around various outlets.
At least you can try them on and return them if they don't fit. Maybe order 3 different sizes to find your best fit and return the unsatisfactory ones?
Well worth a try.
I won't wear anything else now but have enjoyed the total freedom of bra free days if I'm not going out and wearing camouflaging tops!

Quizzer Tue 27-Apr-21 13:15:32

Even M&S can standardise bra size these days. I bought a cheaper bra from Matalan which fitted really well and has lasted many washes. I have now bought more from there at less than half the M&S price and they all fit!

Quizzer Tue 27-Apr-21 13:16:07

Should say M&S CAN’T standardize

oodles Tue 27-Apr-21 13:21:22

M&S fitting is not good, a lot of women use the calculator at Boob or bus.t www.booborbust.com/ and work from that as a starting point, different bras fit different shaped breasts, I'd really recommend looking at that, there is a facebook group that helps fine tune the measurements and suggest bras that are good with ones that might be well fitting

JdotJ Tue 27-Apr-21 13:27:26

Gwenisgreat1

I bought a bra from M&S last week, alas it's too small and will have to go back - never thought of taking it to the loo - what a good idea!! I have a Rigby and Peller bra which was fitted on me, was expensive and is the worst bra I own!! I used to buy fantasie? from figleaves - it's only recently that M&S has had my size - it was sheer comfort. I've decided in future to go for natural colour, cause it doesn't show through clothes and doesn't go off-white like whites!!

I too went to Rigby & Pellar, some years ago now, to be 'fitted' for a new bra. I say fitted because when I walked in and asked the assistant if I could be measured she was very forceful in telling me that, 'no, we don't measure madam, we fit'.

Out I came with the most expensive bra I have ever purchased (even since then 25+ years ago) and it was awful. After one wash (following strict instructions) it became limp and lifeless, no support whatsoever. I've had far better bras costing less than a third of the price of that one. It's not all about the name or what you spend.

GrannyGear Tue 27-Apr-21 13:46:07

Like HelloGirl I get bras from Damart and measure myself from a bra fitting guide in their brochure. It works for me.
But what can you do with other clothing items you need to try on? Do you buy three or more dresses or blouses or pairs of trousers and return the ones you don't want? I've never tried this. I'd feel awkward returning several similar but slighlty different sizes to a shop and I suppose if you are buying by mail order you have to pay postage.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 27-Apr-21 13:55:04

I used to go to Bravissimo but now I buy online from Miss Mary of Sweden. They are a bit more expensive but I think they’re worth it.

pamdixon Tue 27-Apr-21 14:06:19

I have a feeling I read about a 'virtual' bra fitting service somehow. I do wonder how that will work............not sure I want to flash my boobs over a screen to a stranger??
Years ago, the best bra experience I had was in France. Was on holiday and realised I'd only taken one bra - so popped into a shop to get another one. Lovely lady eyed me up, pulled up her top to show me her bra and said she thought that one would be a good shape for me! it was - I loved that bra dearly for years!!!

Savvy Tue 27-Apr-21 14:06:55

I stopped going to bravissimo after the sales girl told me I had no right to want to feel attractive at my age, I was in my mid 40s at the time! I think her manager went into a cold sweat when she saw the complaint I put in about her.

Most companies just don't do my size, I'm a 36H, but I have found Brastop online who seem to carry a large range.

The M&S bra I bought was just sheer torture to wear, and that was after I'd been fitted by them.

Musicgirl Tue 27-Apr-21 14:34:30

I have started wearing bralettes rather than bras. They go in dress sizes rather than cup sizes and are both comfortable and supportive. They give a really nice shape too. TU at Sainbury's have some very pretty ones.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 27-Apr-21 14:35:33

Buy your bras during your next holiday abroad whenever that is.

I have never heard of anyone havin this trouble in Germany, Denmark or Holland. A bra size is constant, unlike ladies' trouser sizes, which are a pain in the a**'!

PaperMonster Tue 27-Apr-21 14:38:12

Boob or Bust are good. M&S don’t have a good reputation for fitting. I’d suggest going to an independent.

When I’ve had a bra fitting, the fitters have advised the cup style that’s most suitable for me too. I’ve now found the ideal style for me and, bonus, I don’t have to chop and stitch the straps due to my tiny shoulder/big boob combo!

Paperbackwriter Tue 27-Apr-21 15:06:07

My current favourite bras are from Bravissimo and are labelled as 'bralets' although they aren't teeny and flimsy at all. No wires - have long given up on those. Worth checking out..

Paperbackwriter Tue 27-Apr-21 15:09:44

I was sent by a magazine I used to write for to Rigby and Peller for a proper fitting. I got Mrs. Kenton, the absolute boss and she was quite fierce! No measuring, they just look at you. I spent my entire fee for that piece on two bras which I loved for a few years until I unaccountably grew out of them.. Mrs. Kenton lost her By Royal Appointment by mentioning fitting royalty in her autobiography. I thought that a bit harsh. She's no longer with us, sadly.

CAH65 Tue 27-Apr-21 17:24:40

I am smiling reading all the comments- it is funny, but bra talk is necessary for me (and obviously for others!) as during COVID and being home all the time- I stopped wearing bras entirely and now am thinking I may need to invest in a few as we are all going out in public more. I hate bra shopping for all the reasons you all list!

Rosina Tue 27-Apr-21 17:30:35

I have worn M and S bras since i was ayoung teenager, and when I gained a little more bosom I was fitted by M and S with new bras. They were absolutely fine. When I needed more I bought the same size - oh disaster. They didn't fit anywhere, gaped round the ribs, I bulged over the top, and even after sending for a multitude of different combinations of cup size I came to the conclusion that M and S had completely changed every size. My original bras still fit perfectly, but are shabby. I'm interested to hear that they have a bra sizing guide - I'll look online.

chimes22 Tue 27-Apr-21 17:42:50

Doreen bras for me.excellent fit and wear well

Jillybird Tue 27-Apr-21 18:01:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grannypiper Tue 27-Apr-21 18:12:24

Have found M&S flexifit non wired to be the best bra i have ever worn. Have written to and emailed them to ask why they have the biggest sizes closer to the floor, have pointed out it is far easier to bend over if you are a size 10 with a 32a bust than it is if you are a size 18 with a 40DD, they have never answered !

Flo53 Tue 27-Apr-21 18:21:28

Like BlueSky I have been wearing crop tops for several years now as they are much more comfortable than bras, although the removable padding can be a bit thick, although no padding at all is not an option for my very prominent nipples. I’ve recently made my own from a bikini pattern - very comfortable, and only need to put the padding where it’s needed.

icanhandthemback Tue 27-Apr-21 18:33:43

My daughter sent me this site for getting the right size. It might be helpful:

www.booborbust.com

Shizam Tue 27-Apr-21 20:08:13

Back in the day, I went to Rigby & Peller. Very expensive but amazing fitters. Now can’t stand underwired bras. Have just bought fairly comfy slip-on one by Couveture (sp?). Support is ok, wouldn’t go running in it. Basically, I hate wearing a bra these days. Also shoes! I have gone feral!