Gransnet forums

Chat

The smell of weed from neighbouring properties is getting really bad, so bad that we can smell it in our home if we have doors or windows open.

(122 Posts)
nuttylady Wed 28-Apr-21 09:40:35

We recently had a young girl with her 2 children move in next door and the smell of weed has got so bad some days we can't open doors or windows. she has several visitors young and old who all seem to smoke it.
We have other neighbouring properties where the smell comes from but the new neighbour is worse than all the others, even at 1am we smell it from the new neighbour as we have our bedroom window open every night all year round.
I know a lot of people smoke it but if they want to smoke it, it should be in their own home where it does not affect other people.

grandMattie Mon 03-May-21 10:39:55

Grandma70s

I don’t know what it smells like, so I wouldn’t recognise it!

To the horror and amusement of my AC, I’m exactly the same!

GraceQuirrel Mon 03-May-21 10:40:27

Smell it all over the place these days, seems rife to me. I feel for you OP maybe time for you to consider a move. A big deal I know but that’s what I would do (though thankfully I rent so a little easier to up sticks).

Saetana Mon 03-May-21 10:52:14

Cannabis is completely illegal in the UK (class B drug) - however police usually don't do anything about small quantities. We are so far behind the times here in the UK when more and more US states are legalising sales and use - legalisation should remove most of the criminal element from selling weed, not to mention money going into the tax coffers. We went on several working holidays to The Netherlands in our 20s and it was fantastic to be able to go in a coffee shop and choose what to buy - with expert advice about different strengths and types.

Caragran Mon 03-May-21 10:53:29

Fannycornforth you are right the police don't do anything about it. We live next to a footpath to a community field. The teenagers congregate at the end of the path right next to our back garden and are smoking all sorts and inhaling the small gas canisters(which are subsequently thrown over our fence) every night. The dog goes into the garden to do her jobs before bed and all you can smell is cannabis. It's not worth talking to the police they do not want to know and it's not worth the agro of talking to the kids as all you get is a load of abuse or they retaliate by breaking your windows. The drug dealer even sells the stuff from his car parked on the roadway at the side of our house but police still not interested.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 03-May-21 10:56:21

Baggs

I have clearly led a sheltered life. I don't know what cannabis smoke smells like. Is it unpleasant?

As a former cannabis smoker ( in the 70s) I can tell you it's quite a pleasant, but distinctive smell.
I haven't smelt the later variety but I believe it's a lot stronger and causes smokers to behave aggressively which good old weed never did. We just lounged around eating chocolate biscuits and listening to Pink Floyd or Santana☺️

EmilyHarburn Mon 03-May-21 10:56:57

This is what the internet says about the smell of weed:

Marijuana consumers describe the scent of the plant as earthy, herbal, and woody. Sometimes the plant scent carries notes of lemon, apple, diesel, or plum. Dried marijuana smells a lot stronger than some other dried plants.

Nannashirlz Mon 03-May-21 10:57:53

Yes I also have same problem. I’m also in uk and unfortunately not much can be done. I reported mine when I first moved in because I thought it was my pipes lol so called workmen out. It was them that told me what it was. They said it would be reported and I was advise to get a air conditioner machine for my home as you can’t prove they not smoking it for personal use. Basically i was told not much can be done. Even with windows shut the smell comes into my house. Ppl who don’t live beside it really don’t understand but I do.

Cossy Mon 03-May-21 10:58:29

Strangely I don’t mind the smell of weed, I think it’s preferable to cigarettes. For me, though I would pop a little note through the door first, very briefly explaining you like your window open at night.

Good luck, please be careful with contacting Social Care, it maybe that the smoking of weed is in the garden when the children are asleep.

Personally I would not smoking anything, with young children around, incl cigarettes, but plenty of people do and their children are generally fine

JaneJudge Mon 03-May-21 11:00:40

There is an argument for legalising it so that young people don't start using skunk. Sorry if I have already posted this blush regulated cannabis is not as evil

FannyCornforth Mon 03-May-21 11:00:41

Caragran oh that is awful.
Our neighbours are up to all sorts, but they manage to do it in a low key fashion thank goodness.
It must be a menace living near a park like that.
We have a local dealer who sells from her ice-cream van.
During the first, very strict lock down another entrepreneur was dealing from a break down truck.

Thirdinline Mon 03-May-21 11:00:41

Smoking and growing cannabis is illegal in the UK. There are many different types of cannabis, so the scent can likewise vary, so off-cabbage, slightly sweet, or skunky as different GNers have described it, are all valid. I can attest that skunk smells like the scent emitted from a skunk - not pleasant at all! Much of the cannabis smoked now is much stronger than that smoked in the 60s. Skunk, in particular, can be cut with other things, so those who use it don’t necessarily know what they are ingesting. It can cause social withdrawal and lead to paranoia. As a pp pointed out, people react differently to things they take. For some, cannabis causes huge problems including addiction.

If this young woman is smoking weed often, it will impair her ability to look after her children. The number of visitors to her house suggests to me that she is dealing. The number of adults in the house also puts the children at risk (as well as being contra to Covid rules, as a pp also pointed out). You would be well within your rights to report your new neighbour to the Police and to Social Services. This doesn’t sound like a problem that is going to get better by itself.

I have had to acquaint myself with misuse of drugs through the work I do and it doesn’t make happy reading. Don’t even get me started on County Lines.

Cossy Mon 03-May-21 11:03:27

Saetana

Cannabis is completely illegal in the UK (class B drug) - however police usually don't do anything about small quantities. We are so far behind the times here in the UK when more and more US states are legalising sales and use - legalisation should remove most of the criminal element from selling weed, not to mention money going into the tax coffers. We went on several working holidays to The Netherlands in our 20s and it was fantastic to be able to go in a coffee shop and choose what to buy - with expert advice about different strengths and types.

I could not agree more ! I’d go even further with other drugs too. Once the “criminal” element is removed the large high up criminal “Mr Bigs” and all the way down the chain through to gangs are removed ! The drugs are checked and safe and not cut with crap, they can be sold under licence and taxed. It really is a win win for those who wish to spend their cash this way. Some drugs are safer and have less effects than alcohol

JaneJudge Mon 03-May-21 11:07:00

County Lines is awful. We had a house on the edge of the village which borders onto fields the border onto our village. There was such a commotion the one night that we could see all the blue lights across the field, loads of them. It some county lines thing and two young lads got stabbed. They'd been rehomed here from a nearby town apparently and the 'trouble' had followed. Poor bloody kids. They stand no chance if it follows them. It made me feel ever so sad.

Thirdinline Mon 03-May-21 11:09:06

Just read the comments cross posted. It might appear as if the Police are not doing anything. However, they are likely to be building up a case to prosecute the bigger players in drug smuggling, trafficking and dealing, so should take note of what you report.

JaneJudge Mon 03-May-21 11:12:40

Thirdinline

Just read the comments cross posted. It might appear as if the Police are not doing anything. However, they are likely to be building up a case to prosecute the bigger players in drug smuggling, trafficking and dealing, so should take note of what you report.

Yes I think this is true too. We lived next door to drug addicts who had others move in who were dealing. The other side to them was a policeman and I know my other neighbour kept saying why doesn't the police officer do anything? but they were building up a case too and they did get arrested and removed eventually. I suppose if they are still alive they are someone else's problem though

4allweknow Mon 03-May-21 11:15:07

Is the property rented? If so report to the landlord if known otherwise report to the police. There is no such thing as legal recreational use of cannabis in the UK, if that's where you are located. A drug dealer will be making money out of all those people.

SooozedaFlooze Mon 03-May-21 11:20:36

Grandma70s oh hell you would!!
It is pungent to say the least

readalot Mon 03-May-21 11:21:22

I have the same problem with one of my neighbours, luckily he doesn't smoke it a lot. We call it skunk and that's what it smells like.

SooozedaFlooze Mon 03-May-21 11:23:55

Grandma70s... Oh hell you would

Namsnanny Mon 03-May-21 11:27:24

The use of it is so embedded in our society now.
It's no good comparing today's marijuana with yesteryear product. They arnt the same by a long chalk, and neither is the society within which it is used.
The experience of the older generation has no bearing on the effects today of a stronger drug on the very young brain.
It's not always a question of live and let live, if vulnerable members of society are at risk.

OP please dont talk to your neighbours, I think you would be drawing attention to yourselves.

mulberry60 Mon 03-May-21 11:27:49

Wise words

Carobe30 Mon 03-May-21 11:38:57

Sounds like she is dealing. There’s children living in the property so contact Children’s services via your local multi agency safeguarding hub. You will find details on your local council website .

Jillybird Mon 03-May-21 12:15:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alioop Mon 03-May-21 12:24:01

I would worry about the kids being in the house if the smell is so strong. Adults have the choice to do it or not, but the wee ones being there don't. I'd contact the police and ask their advice.

Cheryl1959 Mon 03-May-21 12:25:48

Nutty lady - you have full sympathy, & wish could give you some advice however sorry to say got no understanding of issue from police , children’s social services, council
Anti social behaviour team; environmental health , MP as there was talk about changing the law to make it legal & the increase that would have on making lives totally miserable for neighbours. GP & a complaint at surgery as it was affecting health big style as suffering effects of second hand skunk smoke literally felt not control of car when driving & constant interrupted nights sleep. Had previously been told to close windows by police & GP especially in a hot summers days & then whole house stank .
You may have more joy from your MP or GP if they are understanding & listen, wishing you the best of luck