Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming and ever supportive kitchen,

(1001 Posts)
soop Wed 28-Apr-21 12:54:32

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good friends and jolly good company.

A warm welcome and I trust that you will all enjoy our new meeting place. Spic and span but homely with it. flowers cupcake wine smile

Puzzler61 Sun 09-May-21 13:24:29

You too Grandmabatty ? I now have serious sitooterie envy.
I must speak to DH about this ...... ?

muse Sun 09-May-21 13:30:42

Good afternoon all.

I'm hoping the skies will stay as forecast. No rain. SiL is dropping by this afternoon to see how we are. He's driven up to the local woods to do a cycle ride. Would have loved to see the whole family but perhaps next time. He's our first family/friend visitor this year. We've had a few work people around on and off but to have someone here to sit and chat over a coffee for a few hours will be lovely.

Jax. I had a much better night's sleep. My low feelings got the better of me yesterday for so many reasons.

I decided last night that trying to project manage our house build and MrM's involvement with it, is not working. There may a few stern words said but I'm going to try to convince him that we must find a company to finish of all the outside connections e.g. water etc. His 'work' mate has now said he can't help out this year. Then I can get the plumber and others back to re-quote and rebook to do the 2nd fix and kitchen+utility installations. We can't go into a sixth year of building .? I wouldn't mind if we were in our 30s or 40s. My plan was to be in for my 70th (December 2019) and celebrate Christmas, my birthday and the new home with the family. I will be 72 this December and I'm still waiting to celebrate 2 of those things. Ranting ?over.

Mya needs a quick walk before SiL arrives.

muse Sun 09-May-21 13:35:41

One little bit of joy I had yesterday was this. It almost took away my sadness that the frost has killed off nearly 95% of the buds on our 12' rhododendron.

Grandmabatty Sun 09-May-21 13:36:56

My sitooterie.

Synonymous Sun 09-May-21 13:43:10

I was awoken this morning by an excited DD who was watching a very handsome red squirrel having a feast at the squirrel feeding box in the garden, we think it must be the first visit in the nearly 7 years since we moved here and put it up and I hope it won’t be the last! It was a very big one but don’t know if it was a Mr or Mrs, it would be hard to tell without getting up close and personal! grin

Nannytopsy Sun 09-May-21 13:47:50

I can feel your frustration muse. I have nothing to offer but sympathy.
DH has done more little DIY jobs in the past year than the previous 35. That’s what retirement + lockdown + a new home does for you!
Enjoy chatting with your visitor. We have two large dogs visiting - DS and family have gone for a big shopping trip - and they have taken 4 hours to settle down. Peace st last!

soop Sun 09-May-21 13:59:23

brook the photograph is atmospheric. We often see similar brooding skies hanging over the Paps of Jura.

anno Snap! Whenever I look into the mirror, I see my late Nana Florrie looking back.

Susan It is perfectly natural for you to feel extra protective towards little Henry. As he grows up, he'll learn what is good for him and what to avoid no matter what. It doesn't mean that you'll cease being extra vigilant.
Thank you for your kind words. smile

Urms treading over the threshold into the political thread. shock Rather you than me. Do you have a very large sofa to duck behind?

Blossoming I believe that, at long last, I've figured out what a sitooterie. wink

Grandmabatty Oh no! A spider attack sound serious.

soop Sun 09-May-21 14:05:20

muse The colour of your rhododendron is delicious. Not unlike raspberry ripple ice cream.

Synonymous Lucky you. I have yet to see a red squirrel. We did have a stoat visit the garden the other day. I would sooner it had been a red squirrel.

Nannytopsy Those dogs! Four hours in which to settle down sounds much like caring for a teething infant (with serious nappy rash) who refuses to be comforted. grin

soop Sun 09-May-21 14:09:11

Son and his partner have scrubbed the plan to borrow a camper van for their visit to see us. They have a very comfortable, attractive, self-catering cottage in a beautiful location near the village of Tarbert. We shall be treating them to meals out. Hopefully, by the end of the month, a few more restaurants will be welcoming diners.

cornergran Sun 09-May-21 14:13:02

More spiders here. Sitting here with a coffee after some weed removal I felt itchy, Mr C calmly told me I must have walked through some baby spiders, it seems three were playing hop scotch on my neck! I am assured they are removed hmm. . Think I’ll head for the shower after speed drinking my coffee and congratulating myself on my bravery. grin.

Some sad news, our lovely friend and neighbour has been diagnosed with cancer, she is mid 90’s, bright and energetic. I’m so sad for her and her family. Her first thought was to let us know she wouldn’t be home today as she didn’t want us to worry. Sort of sums up who she is,

We’re planning some NT trips so time to wander off and make some bookings - after a shower!

Grandmabatty Sun 09-May-21 14:16:02

Soop that sounds lovely. It'll be such a nice catch up. I'm posting another part of my garden.

Susan56 Sun 09-May-21 14:40:41

Thank you for all your kind and supportive comments.You’re all so lovely☺️

Synonymous Sun 09-May-21 15:41:37

Before going off for the weekend the builders laid the concrete base for the solar dome which will hopefully arrive and be erected before the end of the month and hopefully before the extension is built and cuts that side of the garden off. It won’t be a big one but it will give Himself the space to garden in his wheelchair and be warm and dry. I was agonising over what flooring to have laid in it and then agreed with the builder that he would make a non slip surface in the concrete and thought what a great idea as it would be zero cost only to wake up to evidence of the night’s activities of the local wildlife! DD and I had a fit of the giggles over it as it is certainly unique, just glad nothing got stuck in the setting concrete and we just have loads of footprints. I wonder what the builder will think?! I hope he won’t want to cover it all over as I think it is hilarious and even Himself has a big grin on his face! So glad that things are starting to move on at last.

BladeAnnie Sun 09-May-21 15:44:39

A quick good afternoon from a bright and sunny mid-Notts. Hope everyone is well and enjoying their Sunday. Crispy chilli beef is on the menu later which is a always a favourite. Gentle virtual hugs to everyone in need of a little comfort flowers and stay safe dear kitcheners

Synonymous Sun 09-May-21 15:48:17

Lovely hairdos and photos everyone!

Just received a parcel with cookies in - have left some macadamia and currant ones on the side - they are yummy! ?

Jaxjacky Sun 09-May-21 16:16:55

Hi all, what stunning pictures brook typifies the area at times, brooding.
Lovely rhodi muse know what you mean about the ‘Mr’s and jobs, I’ve started using a local group for odd jobs. Mr J gets a bit miffed, but he works hard during the week, plus I have minimal patience, yours must be infinite. I noticed lots of self seeded sunflowers in the garden earlier, some may have to go, I hate wasting plants and am rubbish at thinning out seedlings, I’ll put some in pots for the grandchildren. Catch up later all.

soop Sun 09-May-21 16:17:48

corner What a kind and thoughtful friend you have.

Grandmabatty I can well imagine being seated on your garden bench with a chilled white wine and possibly a slice of cake. I've no so-called class. wink

Synonymous I'm happy that both you and your husband have been suitably amused by the activities of the night life. It would be a shame to cover up the evidence. Keep it the way it is. grin
Thanks for the cookies. I'm about to sup a brew

BladeAnnie I like the sound of the crispy chilli beef. Will you be cooking it? We have a very simple supper dish planned for tonight. Peppery smoked salmon, jacket potato and sliced avocado pear. Followed by Magnum dark chocolate ice cream.

soop Sun 09-May-21 16:37:39

The day started off rather grey and damp. The sun is now shining and the wind direction is no longer from the north east. A great improvement.

I am about to log off until tomorrow. Wishing our many Granspal Kitcheners a peaceful and pleasant evening. Especially those of you who have a troubled mind or body. (hugs) smile moon

BladeAnnie Sun 09-May-21 16:53:51

soop it will be a joint effort. It's one of the simply cook recipes and it's divine smile

mrshat Sun 09-May-21 17:04:16

Pittcity & kittylester I also watched' the sound of metal' and found it quite fascinating and thought provoking. It certainly deserved it's Oscar for 'sound'. wink

Puzzler61 Sun 09-May-21 17:05:33

Well it sounds “simply delicious” BladeAnnie.
Cornergran it’s always a shock to find our someone close has a serious illness. I’m sure you will continue to be a kind and caring neighbour to her. ?
Thank you for the cookies Synonymous ?. Your concrete could start a trend.
Have a very good evening soop and everyone.

Blossoming Sun 09-May-21 17:26:20

Grandmabatty I love your sitooterie!

Yiayia4 Sun 09-May-21 17:30:47

Very nice garden* Grandmabatty*
I feel better today pain meds are working and I can cope and sleep? again. Soop you must be counting the days to your son’s visit.Our son and Dil from Derbyshire are coming for bank holiday weekend not seen them since last July!so looking forward to it.Your chilli beef sounds good BladeAnnie we are having Chicken and orange traybake very easy.
Enjoy your Sunday evening kitcheners.

brook2704 Sun 09-May-21 17:45:27

Such a lot of lovely news in the kitchen just now.. everyone sounds very busy with los going on, I can see Urmston will need to have words with us about signing up to the #lazygran school..
I’m no better really, I’ve been in and out of the garden dodging the showers today, washing has been in and out too as one minute it’s been sunny and the next minute raining .. The weeds are springing up so it’s a bit of a battle to keep on top of them. I love a good sitooterie, thank for the link blossoming the Gairloch one looks beautiful. And yours is just wow, grandmabatty what a fabulous place to sit with a cuppa and while away an hour or so .. love the bunting!
Thanks for the cookies Syn so yummy

Urmstongran Sun 09-May-21 18:35:03

‘Evening All’.

We’ve had a lovely afternoon at Urmston Towers enjoying chilli for lunch with my stepfather. We realised (fingers crossed) that 6 weeks today we will be in the Plockton Hotel. It will be Father’s Day too - not that we realised that when we booked!

My stepfather said he is so looking forward to it and, at nearly 90y, without our input he wouldn’t be able to go up there now.

He’s been teaching me easy Gaelic phrases for when we get there - but as Himself said ‘if anyone responds you’ll be snookered’.‼️ No mind, my lovely stepfather said he’ll come to my rescue so in the meantime, lol keep practising!
? ???????

Hoping we all have a peaceful night ahead. x

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion