Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming and ever supportive kitchen,

(1001 Posts)
soop Wed 28-Apr-21 12:54:32

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good friends and jolly good company.

A warm welcome and I trust that you will all enjoy our new meeting place. Spic and span but homely with it. flowers cupcake wine smile

Puzzler61 Fri 30-Apr-21 07:55:04

Lovely news to read that Maw has Rosie now. I hope they have many happy times together. ? ?

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Apr-21 09:10:41

Rosie apparently had a quiet and dry night. Mum was anxious, similar to caring for her grandchildren. Rosie has had a potter in the garden, done her business, had breakfast and no doubt has found a spot to rest her eyes until it is time for a short walk. She sounds like a delightful dog and will in her own way be appreciative of the care she receives.

NanaandGrampy Fri 30-Apr-21 09:19:13

Morning all,

So glad to hear Maw has a new companion ! Rosie will have the best forever home and Maw will enjoy the company of another beloved hound. Lovely way to start the day !

I have finally got a dentist apt . The situation is dire now and I suspect beyond redemption AND I had to go private which adds insult to injury. The apt is almost a month away so LOADS of time for me to work myself up into a fear frenzy.

Hope you’re feeling loads better Soop.

Isn’t it funny, when you are working a bank holiday weekend is something of real value and to relish . When you’re retired it’s just another weekend ?

I hope everyone has something to look forward to !

Happy days all x

Puzzler61 Fri 30-Apr-21 09:45:03

Hi to all Kitchen peeps.
Hoping you are feeling a little better soop? You must be due another visit from Fern soon?

Just bringing pics from my garden as a change from a vase of flowers. Perhaps we can have a kitchen garden for when we gather to chat on nice sunny days?

Grandmabatty Fri 30-Apr-21 09:55:38

Puzzler61 the flowers are a tonic. I didn't plant my tulips deep enough and they are far too long and spindly therefore not photo worthy. My other plants haven't flowered yet. But I will post photos once there is anything worth looking at! Such happy news about Rosie and Maw. Tesco have delivered and I have put away. I think I'll do slow cooker Bolognaise and put the rest in the freezer. Then housework. Have a good day all

Urmstongran Fri 30-Apr-21 09:57:42

Maw sent this earlier (I asked permission from her to cut & paste):

“Good first night! But in the same way that you only sleep lightly if you have a tiny DGC sleeping over, I was awake every hour or so!
Eventually thought I heard a squeak at 6 and I was desperate for a mug of tea, so I ventured down and found a waggy tail and a CLEAN and DRY floor!
So she has now polished off some breakfast, emptied a couple of waste paper bins, shown an interest in my cuppa (“No!”) peed and pood, zoomied round the garden and started playing with Hattie’s toys .
Zorsted now!
(Me too)

She is a bit of a counter surfer so I am having to rethink putting everything out of reach and may be a bit of a nibbles until she works out what is edible and what isn’t!
But she is affectionate already and has to be where I am”

And HERE is 5y old Rosie!

Urmstongran Fri 30-Apr-21 10:04:40

Maybe a nice hair clip Charleygirl in the meantime? Twist the fringe first to give it a bit of a stylish look before you pin it up?
Result!

x

Urmstongran Fri 30-Apr-21 10:06:48

Next Tuesday morning for me! I can’t wait.
I fear I’m looking like Frank from ‘Shameless’. Oh dear.

dragonfly46 Fri 30-Apr-21 10:07:01

Lovely news from Maw.
My SiL lost her rescue greyhound a couple of years ago and then got another almost identical. They are lovely dogs with a placid temperament.

I hope you are feeling better soop.
I too take an pill to rid my body of oestrogen the other daily tablet is to strengthen my bones like your infusion.

Beautiful flowers Puzzler. I love the spring bulbs. We used to live among the bulb fields in Holland.

Jaxjacky Fri 30-Apr-21 10:41:10

Wonderful news for Maw, thank you for the photo’s Urms. I hope soop has improved today.
Pretty flowers Puzzler thank you too.

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Apr-21 12:27:56

Urmston I do not have a fringe or layers. I call it the pudding bowl cut but it is more refined than that. I prefer my hair at lobe level and some of it is an inch above. At present, I have stuck a kirby grip in it but I cannot go out looking like this.

Puzzler may I invite you to my house, all expenses paid to sort out my weeds and flower free garden? It would take you a day, maybe two, depending on how many cups of coffee you will consume!

soop Fri 30-Apr-21 13:06:55

Charleyg I've been thinking that Maw's new pal was going to be named Maisie blush I do like the name Rosie.

Hattie's wee portrait has been posted. smile

BladeAnnie Your fluffy-maned Duncan is beyond handsome. And he knows it.

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Apr-21 13:16:16

I am sure Maw will love the portrait of Hattie and she may well shed a few tears but she has a beautiful new companion now to help her through that grief.

I hope you are feeling less nauseous and are resting. I hate seeing the buggerations taking over your life. Fern is selfish, only coming for food and not giving any love or even attention as a method of saying thank you.
TOYA

soop Fri 30-Apr-21 13:24:58

N&G I shall be with you all the way (in thought) until you are reclining in the dentist's chair. I have a phobia regarding tarantula spiders and dentist's drills. Of the two...shock I simply cannot choose the less frightening.

Welcome to the pampered pets corner, Rosie. I've a feeling that you may well have your portrait painted.

dragonfly I cannot seem to budge away from feelings of nausea at the moment. Awoke with sticky eyes. Conjunctivitis.

I shall pay heed to all your suggestions and speak to the GP when he takes my bloods on Tuesday. By then, I may well be feeling a lot better than I do right now.

A very good seafood restaurant has re-opened in Tarbert. Our two friends in the village are treating us to an early meal (restaurant open between 5 o'clock and 8.oo). No alcohol. All well regulated. I am hoping that I shall be good company. We won't be late home. Out of glad-rags and into jim-jams soon as.

I am going to spend the afternoon with my feet up. As we'll be leaving at 4:30, I shall my farewell for today very much earlier than usual.

Dear friends here in our kitchen, you have my appreciation for your support. It matters. flowers smile moon

Urmstongran Fri 30-Apr-21 13:28:27

You’re not wrong soop. The greyhound’s name is actually Rosie and Maw thought she might change it to Maisie.

However she’s Rosie still. ❤️

I see what you mean Charleygirl. It’ll be a nuisance until it grows down a bit. Kirby grips only in the house then?

As my dear dad used to say “the only difference between a good and a bad haircut is about six weeks”. He died nearly 50 years ago. Funny what we remember from way back.
?

dragonfly46 Fri 30-Apr-21 13:41:47

Oh soop never rains but it pours. Methinks you are a little rundown!
I have the aches today but that was caused by planting my sweet peas yesterday. Also I was told by a therapist last week that I have no muscle!!

Yes it is true what we remember Urmston my mum used to say 'noone will get off a galloping horse to look at you!"

Susan56 Fri 30-Apr-21 13:44:49

N&G, like soop I totally understand where you are coming from.I too have a dental phobia.Long story but after 30 years am changing to a new dentist.My appointment is not until 24th May.My husband says put it out of your mind until then but easier said than done, I am even having dreams/nightmares about the appointment already and palpitations just writing this??

Sorry you are still feeling unwell soop.I hope you still manage to enjoy your outing today.

Love the flowers Puzzler?I do love spring bulbs.We have booked two trips to Keukenhof but cancelled both years due to the pandemic.Maybe one day??

Rosie is a beautiful dog and is a lucky lady that maw has adopted her?

TOYA

Puzzler61 Fri 30-Apr-21 14:13:44

It is many years since I visited Keukenhof when I lived in Germany and it was just a day trip over the border.
Well worth the journey.
Dragonfly you were fortunate to live nearby, they are delightful, and I’m sure you’ll get there one day soon Susan.

Charleygirl you will find my tariff most reasonable as I’m not London based.
Ridding your borders of black fly and green fly - very cheap, all I require is your washing up liquid suds and 50p per hour.
Weeding at the soil’s surface - £1 for 30 mins.
(not too much bending required, can manage without Voltarol)
Destroying weeds with deep roots - £3 for 30 mins. (will need to rub on Voltarol, and wear gloves to gain a good grip on the dandelion etc. to give it the old heave-ho).
Planting bedding flowers - 50p an hour . I love doing this and I’ll give you an eye-catching floral design in your borders
(think along the lines of purple and white like the Cadbury’s chocolate logo)
Mowing lawns - please get a man in, I find mowing tedious and boring ?

Urmstongran Fri 30-Apr-21 14:22:17

Ooh goody. Just had a text message. I have my 2nd jab sorted for next Saturday morning! They offered me tomorrow afternoon but I declined. We are going to a family BBQ on Sunday and I didn’t want to feel ropey and miss out on the champagne for Himself’s birthday doo! Our Yorkshire Lass and her partner will be going too and as I haven’t seen her apart from a half hour before Christmas, I thought deferring my jab for a week was best.

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Apr-21 14:40:42

Puzzler my rear garden has been block paved so I have no grass there. The large expanse of grass at the side and front is taken care of, thanks to Tim. It would be the planting of pots and two raised beds. I also have around 4 hanging baskets.

The weeds have not attracted any flies and I have tried to kill them with weed killer but it does not work overnight.

I find your fees rather excessive considering I am paying for your trip here and all accommodation, food and liquid refreshments are free.

soop enjoy your meal this evening- I hope it is not too cold and it stays dry.
TOYA

Hellogirl1 Fri 30-Apr-21 15:40:21

Rosie is a beautiful girl, very reminiscent of Grace. I hope she and Maw are very happy together.
I`m still searching for a cat. Someone in Lincoln was advertising for a home for a 1 year old female tabby, I wrote to them, but no reply, that was last Sunday, then 3 days ago I applied to a local sanctuary for a lovely 4 year old female tabby, again no reply. If they are so anxious to rehome the cats you`d expect them to at least acknowledge applications.
Sorry, I`m not always this grumpy.
Soop, enjoy your meal out, hope your table overlooks the harbour.
TOYA xx

brook2704 Fri 30-Apr-21 16:54:07

Beautiful pictures of Rosie, how lovely for her to be with maw from now on. I hope you’re able to get a new cat soon hellogirl
Enjoy your meal out this evening soop, you deserve a little treat and I hope the food is yummy ?
Good news about your 2nd vaccination urmston and enjoy the family bbq this weekend!

Yiayia4 Fri 30-Apr-21 17:54:51

Lucky Rosie enjoy your life together Maw and Rosie.
We arrived safely in Southbourne near Chichester weather ok it’s good to be away. We visited Emsworth this afternoon one of our favourite places,do you know it N&G ?
Have a nice meal Soop enjoy your evening everyone.
Photo of Emsworth.

Jaxjacky Fri 30-Apr-21 18:11:46

Love Emsworth Yia I lived on Hayling Island many years ago before moving a bit West, HI lovely until summer traffic, one road in and out.
soop I hope you really enjoy your night out and Urmstongran a bit of a do to look forward to.
Toenails are done; hidden in socks until be get at least another ten degrees!
Have a gentle evening all, excuse my foot, you lot may be the only people to see the prettiness at this rate.

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Apr-21 18:43:57

Hellogirl I could not agree more- it is downright rude not to reply if only to say thanks, we have been inundated will get back to you within 2 days.

I am well aware cats are queuing up for adoption and I blame incompetence, not Covid! Keep searching, wherever you live there must be cats looking for a lovely home.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion