Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have your milk delivered

(47 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 30-Apr-21 11:47:35

We have had our milk delivered for several years now, but speaking to a couple of friends who live in different areas to mine, they were saying they haven’t seen a milkman for a very long time, we live in a town, they are in small villages

TrendyNannie6 Sun 02-May-21 21:28:41

Yes. Ours are delivered in glass bottles too

Mogsmaw Sun 02-May-21 21:08:09

We had the local milk delivery service knock on the door about a year ago offering the service. I signed up for a free week. My husband said he understood I found it difficult to say no as if I had accidentally signed up. I was furious!
When we were locked-down it was a godsend, fresh milk and eggs every week. We didn’t have to go to the shops unless absolutely necessary, just like they told us to.
Milk now comes in glass bottles, eggs are free range and they do other “milks” if that’s what you need.
It’s been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I feel I’m supporting local farmers to get a fair price for their produce and reducing waste by reusing the bottles.
I’ve also gained eternal “I told you so” rights. Never to be passed up!

Maggiemaybe Sun 02-May-21 19:48:31

watermeadow

Why do people want milk delivered, separately from all their other shopping? This must be a leftover from before we all had fridges. Doesn’t milk keep about a week in a fridge? I don’t know because I don’t use milk. It not a necessity.

A few reasons have been mentioned. Cutting down on plastic waste, supporting local businesses, convenience.

chocolatepudding Sun 02-May-21 19:15:49

I have milk delivered in glass bottles by a local company who also sell various groceries, garden composts and large bags of salt tablets for a water softener. I order 5 bags at a time and it is cheaper than anywhere else and delivered to my door. Here in Suffolk we have very hard water so the water softener is an essential item.

watermeadow Sun 02-May-21 18:59:34

Why do people want milk delivered, separately from all their other shopping? This must be a leftover from before we all had fridges. Doesn’t milk keep about a week in a fridge? I don’t know because I don’t use milk. It not a necessity.

grannypiper Sat 01-May-21 19:15:45

I live in a rural location but still have a milkman, he has been such a blessing.

cornishpatsy Sat 01-May-21 18:40:13

Some of my neighbours do, it is about 2 am, he parks under my bedroom window and he leaves his radio on and engine running whilst he noisily delivers to the houses in the road.

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-May-21 18:37:23

Yes, we do, from a local farm. They’re very reliable and deliver it in glass bottles at about 6am, very quietly! We pay by bank transfer and do any changes to the order by email, all very efficient. Yes, it’s dearer, but paying extra seems to be the only way to cut down on plastic waste, and that’s important to us.

SueDonim Sat 01-May-21 18:11:19

No. I tried to arrange it but they didn’t reply to my emails so I decided they weren’t going to be reliable. Shame.

Iam64 Sat 01-May-21 18:11:06

Yes - ours comes in glass bottles from the local farm. They also deliver free range eggs along with butter, yoghurt and icecream, all made at the farm

Boogaloo Sat 01-May-21 17:50:30

I live in the US and we have our milk delivered once a week by a fellow farmer who keeps some of his herd organic/pasture fed. The milk is raw. We've seen him delivering in a city 80 miles away, so he must be doing good. He sells to health food stores as well.

One US gallon lasts us a week.

I remember sometimes our milk in England was sampled by the Bluetits.

Davida1968 Sat 01-May-21 10:25:08

Yes, the local milkman delivers our milk (in glass bottles), by 7.00.a.m. We also have free range eggs delivered; other groceries are available! Worth it, for the recyclable bottles alone. (Like Shrub, I've had milk delivered all my life.)

timetogo2016 Sat 01-May-21 10:11:57

No,i buy it from the supermarkets,a lot cheaper.

Shrub Fri 30-Apr-21 16:46:49

I’ve had milk delivered all my married/widowed life. I could get loads of different things from them (including oat milk) but I usually only get milk (in returnable glass bottles) and eggs as my front door is straight onto the pavement ?. It comes about 8 in the morning and I pay and order online. I wouldn’t be without it.

JaneJudge Fri 30-Apr-21 15:49:42

I forgot I got bin bags this morning too and bacon. I see it as a bit of treat blush I also received a Bistrot Pierre home box which I think I ordered when I was a bit tipsy blush but that came with DPD.

Has anyone tried the fill range off milk and more? I feel well posh with washing up liquid and the pourer thing. I'm not posh but I think that is quite obvious smile

Visgir1 Fri 30-Apr-21 15:32:32

Milk and More have everything.
My milk comes in Glass Bottles, no plastic had a Milk man for all my married life, I have never been let down, and pay by direct debit.
A star during lockdown.

WishIwasyounger Fri 30-Apr-21 15:15:35

I use a local milkman, as I want to reduce the amount of plastic I'm using. I'm saying milkman, but its a woman who actually delivers, but saying milkwoman sounds odd.
I have friends who don't have a local delivery so use the supermarket. I suppose they're becoming scarce now are they?

aonk Fri 30-Apr-21 14:12:21

I use Milk and More. Excellent service.
Anyway I’ll always have my milk delivered if possible. My grandfather left school at 14 and went to work for a dairy helping with the deliveries. After WW1 he returned to the job and married the owner’s daughter who was a trained bookkeeper. They eventually had their own dairy and grocery shop. He worked hard and served his community and my milk continues to be delivered in his memory.

Witzend Fri 30-Apr-21 13:59:14

Forgot to add, all ours comes in glass, and it’s delivered at around 2 or 3 am. We’ve never had it go off even in a hot summer.

Gelisajams Fri 30-Apr-21 13:49:39

Yes we started our milkman at the beginning of first lockdown. Didn’t start him immediately we moved here because we were often away in our camper. He delivers juice, dairy and milk alternatives as well as glass bottles of milk. Any extras or changes to my usual order I send the night before by text message. He delivers at about 2 am. In the warm weather we leave an insulated bag out.

kittylester Fri 30-Apr-21 13:36:52

We use the Modern Milkman. They use local (ish) farms and deliver in bottles. They don't really have much more than milk, cream and juices but it works well for us!

Witzend Fri 30-Apr-21 13:36:33

We do, always have since moving here (SW London) in 1987. It’s now Milk and More, all ordering and payments online. They have a lot of extra items too, from bacon and eggs to garden things. The other day I ordered a couple of big bags of potting compost, to save lugging cheaper ones about at Asda - they weigh a ton.
We have FR eggs and fresh orange juice delivered regularly, too

Everything’s that bit more expensive, but to me it’s worth it for the convenience.

nanna8 Fri 30-Apr-21 13:29:33

No . Suburban Australia! Our postal service is dire. It would be better by pony express!

mamaa Fri 30-Apr-21 13:27:34

Yes- we use Milk and More.

grannysyb Fri 30-Apr-21 13:14:55

We have milk delivered, it's for DH as I don't like it, and I know that I would forget to buy it! I know it's more expensive, but I like the convenience, and like the fact that it doesn't add to the plastic mountain.