Gransnet forums

Chat

What did you do today ?

(124 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 03-May-21 17:43:51

We used to have a thread about ‘daily doings’ on here, but I expect Covid and lockdowns ended it as we all didn’t do much!
Coming out of it soon so there will be more inspiration as posters actually go places.It can be anything really ...mundane or exciting.If I read that somebody has been to an interesting location or gallery/ museum etc or has actually washed their windows? it makes me think about doing it.
This afternoon I had a couple of hours baking time, happily in the kitchen listening to music and producing a lightly fruited cake, chocolate muffins and lemon curd tarts ( only the cake for ourselves.) What did you do? Typical bank holiday weather kept us inside.

EkwaNimitee Thu 06-May-21 20:57:10

Not a lot! A bit of housework, then admin....filing and shredding, chasing folk on the phone, emptying out another box of books. In between, reading a new book on the history of food and agriculture, really a slagging off of agribusiness and the state it’s got us and the planet into. Very well researched and written but grim stuff.

Marmight Thu 06-May-21 21:10:26

I had 2 friends for coffee and we ate a Yotam Ottolenghi blueberry/lemon cake made by yours truly. Yum. After lunch I moved, with great difficulty, an exceedingly heavy stone sink from the back to front garden on a sack barrow. I had hoped my SiL would do it but I gave up waiting ?. Eventually it will contain water and a solar powered fountain. I then cut the grass then succumbed to another slice of cake with my cup of tea. Im now watching the lovely Bill Nighy in Page Eight on Netflix and contemplating cake .......?

grandmajet Thu 06-May-21 21:30:33

I didn’t do much. Went to vote, and discovered the person I was going to vote for wasn’t on my ticket. Must’ve been in another ward. So I had to make a quick decision.
A locksmith came to look at our front door which had my key stuck in it. He got the key out but gave up trying to unstick the lock after a couple of hours and has gone away to research. The door is locked and we can use the side door. We may have to have a nice new door. We have both been googling front doors! I think we may be disappointed if he can fix it now as our present door is quite ugly.
I think I’ll go to bed and read, all snuggled up and warm.

rubysong Thu 06-May-21 22:08:49

I had a video chat with a distant cousin i met via Facebook. We have been emailing about family history but it was nice to speak face to face. Then I washed kitchen and bathroom floors. After lunch DH and I went to vote, then he went walking and I went to a meeting about planning for the restart of the choir. We met in the garden and it was lovely to have a chat and tea and cake. I came home with a couple of plants.

Kim19 Thu 06-May-21 23:09:40

Went up to the bank in the High Street and then continued with a sprightly walk along my local riverbank. I usually like to stroll and take in the surroundings but it was colder than I had realised so I got a spurt on. Other than that somewhat lazy with minimum domestication. I'm hopeless!

Maggiemaybe Fri 07-May-21 13:26:31

Yesterday we had a cafe lunch with DD1 and DGS6, who at 13 months old flirted outrageously with all the ladies at nearby tables, chomped his way through a lemon wedge without flinching, then napped soundly for the couple of hours we were minding him. smile Walked up to vote later, managing to get soaked in the only heavy shower of the day. And got roundly trounced in the weekly family Zoom quiz.

lemongrove Fri 07-May-21 14:19:58

Maggiemaybe ?he sounds adorable!

Had a very lazy day so far, just doing minimal housework, and listening to music.Made an early lunch, had a walk around the garden and now waiting for some friends to arrive to have tea and cake in the garden.We haven’t seen them since last Nov so have plenty to talk about.

Maggiemaybe Fri 07-May-21 14:29:47

He certainly is, lemongrove, thank you! smile

Today we've had a longish walk, incorporating a trip to the local Post Office to post a parcel. I'd forgotten my mask, but there were no other customers, so I asked if I could go in. The postmaster assured me that a lot of people were forgetting their masks these days - we must be thinking things are getting back to normal. smile I'm just waiting for a friend to ring, then it'll be back to the family history research - Ancestry and Find My Past are free this month via our local library, so I'm making the most of it.

Greyduster Fri 07-May-21 14:30:01

We went to the bank, and the butchers next door for meat - and a roast pork sandwich, which we ate on a bench in the park with a flask of coffee we had brought along. How come dogs can smell a roast pork sandwich from a mile away and gather to sit drooling at your feet? Then we walked round the park, taking in the woods, photographed the first bluebells we have seen this year, and came home. Son in law is calling in at three on his way home from work, after which I will do a bit of weeding in the garden.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 07-May-21 17:14:58

We cycled down to our leisure centre and had a swim. At lunchtime our daughter told us her 20 week scan has revealed she’s having a boy!! ?. This afternoon, I did my weekly shop. Doesn’t get much better than that?

Sarahmob Fri 07-May-21 17:42:43

It was work for me this morning, then a chance to meet up with a friend for lunch. It’s great to be returning to something approaching normality.

Auntieflo Fri 07-May-21 19:13:08

Oh I have had such a lovely day.
Some of my energy has returned, so after a shower and hair wash, I did two loads of laundry.
DD came for a quick visit, bringing flowers, chocs and a lovely hug, as well as sorting out something on my IPad.

After taking DH to town, for his volunteering afternoon, my friend from work came, bringing home made sticky buns.
So lots of catch up chat about all and sundry, and putting the world to rights, of course.
After she had gone home, my lovely, recently widowed, sister in law rang to find out how I was.
Picked up DH, cooked dinner. My appetite had returned, so I enjoyed that.
The washing dried in the sun, so smells great.

I can now sit and crochet, while DH washes up, and tidies the kitchen.
So, my day was a success.

annodomini Fri 07-May-21 20:19:54

I went to take the towels out of the washing machine and found them still dry! I must have failed to click the door shut before I left it to run overnight. So I eventually washed the towels - now in the dryer. The rain came and went several times. I spent the morning checking out election results, reading the paper on line and doing the crosswords. Cheese on toast for lunch. Intended to go out shopping for essential supplies, but the car wouldn't start. I think it's the battery and will contact Green Flag in the morning. Half an hour phone call with my sister, putting the world to rights. So that was a thoroughly unproductive day!

grandmajet Fri 07-May-21 21:03:39

Your post made me smile, Auntieflo, I’m glad you had a lovely day. Then you made me laugh annodomini, with the tale of the towels.
I had quite a nice day today. We went out for lunch for the second time this week! Such extravagance. It felt very safe in the sunshine. Grandpajet had a gourmet burger which was huge! I had salmon with creamy mash, and reluctantly gave him my samphire. The staff were delightful.
Tomorrow rain is forecast again.

SuzieHi Fri 07-May-21 21:16:34

Today 7th, had a varied day. Had to stay in to await delivery of new lawnmower. (Didn’t arrive!)
Started the day making our builders wife a birthday cake( not pre planned but he hadn’t either!) Followed by 3 loads of washing and ironing( our daughters- her machine broken). Then our ironing, next to the garden- 4 trays of seedlings potted on; trug filled - pine cones and twigs from lawn after the storm a few days ago. New French doors primed. Plant pots watered. Gin and tonic followed by wine and supper cooked by husband.
Sometimes do have a quiet day... today felt energetic so did a lot!

Buffybee Sat 08-May-21 16:07:58

Had a lovely day yesterday, one of my twin Granddaughters came up from London for a long weekend.
She was still working online but booked the afternoon off, so asked if I was up for going out.
We went for lunch at a park cafe, then walked with my little dog around the wood, past drifts of bluebells, across the river and sat in the sun in the formal gardens, chatting for at least two hours.
Wonderful....

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 08-May-21 17:07:46

I came home from the hospital after my partial knee replacement laden with a bag of painkillers, two freezer blocks and masses of paperwork. It is good to be home and the cats are pleased to see me. I am lying on the sofa eating fudge.

grandmajet Sat 08-May-21 17:15:54

Ooh, fudge! What more could you want, LLFL! I hope the knee is comfortable.
We didn’t do a lot. I cleaned the kitchen and made scones. He cleaned the bathroom. He also went and watched littlest grandson play football but as it was absolutely hosing it down I didn’t go!
We’re having tuna steaks for tea and trying to choose a film to watch.

Tizliz Sat 08-May-21 17:24:12

I worked out how to download photos from a Samsung phone to an Apple pc. Samsung gave up on their very inadequate app last year and offered no replacement. Only took an hour to work out what was wrong with the YouTube I was looking at - should have got one of the grandchildren to do it. 380 photos now on pc, feel exhausted

Kim19 Sat 08-May-21 17:37:04

Actually can't think of a day when I did less which is certainly not what this thread is about(!!). Weatherwise it is so cold and miserable here up north that I can't get myself motivated. I'm kidding myself that I'm conserving my energy for the start of a large piece of gloss painting decorating on Tuesday. The handyman is coming to do the ceiling on Monday then it's my turn. On knees for skirting boards, up ladders for doors, inside finicky cupboards (ugh!) and the bay window area is immense. However, time is my own and I will pace myself as I know the result will be worth it. Oh yes.....onwards......

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-May-21 17:47:25

It’s been raining hard all day, so I’ve done a bit of cleaning for once, and rearranged the kitchen work surfaces to accommodate DH’s new coffee maker. A bit of exercise in front of the sad episodes of Corrie I recorded yesterday, followed by sorting some old family photos, putting names on the back where I knew them and ruthlessly getting rid of the rest (there’s noone left to ask now sad). I had to chuckle at some from the late 19th century, with my great-uncles posing in their fancy dresses and ringlets.

DH is making us a crab salad for tea, then it’ll be Jay’s online pub quiz later.

foxie48 Sat 08-May-21 18:39:28

Maggiemaybe I am very envious of your crab salad, I'm reheating a lasagne from the freezer for supper and cooking up some courgettes that tbh look a bit past best, but I hate to waste food.
It's been a foul day so I had a leisurely pot of tea in bed this morning and got up late. OH had fetched the newspaper so I had breakfast and a quick flick through it, OH kindly offered to walk the dog as there was a window in the rain, needless to say I agreed. Apart from making some tomato soup for lunch, I had a very unproductive morning.
After lunch I drove over to see my lovely but self harming horse. She's currently on box rest following an injury and has to be walked 4x a day and have her hock iced, I try to do it once a day to give the staff a break but she's pretty naughty ATM so I have to put my brave pants on! Actually today she behaved despite the foul weather but I was very windswept. When I got home I walked the dog in the pouring rain but as I was already wet it didn't matter. tomorrow we are dog sitting our neighbours puppy whilst they go out. Please let it be dry so we can take both dogs for a long walk!

biglouis Sat 08-May-21 22:32:52

I run a part time online business so this morning I packed orders ready for my Royal Mail collection around 11.30. The driver was late and didnt appear til nearly 12 but to be truthful I didnt notice! He seemed relieved that I wasnt annoyed at him and confessed that everyone on his round seemed to have got more angry lately.

I had a big package from the USA delivered by DHL yesterday so I spent the afternoon unpacking and sorting the contents. It was new stock and some needs cleaning up (I sell vintage) while others items can just go straight to the photo shoot. Unpacking generated a huge pile of packaging materials. I try to re-use as much as possible so all the bubble wrap, packing peanuts etc get saved. That means they have to be folded and stored away somewhere.

Late afternoon I had a nap for a couple of hours as I was up very late friday picking orders. I dont sleep at any set times - one of the joys of being retired from employed work and running my own business. Packing is a boring job so I usually have some music playing.

When I got up I had supper and then cleaned up some of the items which needed a bit of a polish. Ive also sorted out a batch of items for a photo shoot tomorrow morning.

Well thats me for the day and now Im going to relax for a bit and watch Netflix.