Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(73 Posts)
12Michael Sun 09-May-21 06:09:08

Good Morning Everyone,
Its looking grey sky wise this morning , but the ground is dry after yesterdays wet weather .
I decided to stay at home yesterday ,and only later going out to get a Chinese Take Away ,although then it was a fine monsoon type of drizzle rain wise with a warm air .
Today, maybe small shop , do lunch and watch the Giro n TV which cover programmes up to around 6 tonight .
Take Care,
Mick

harrigran Sun 09-May-21 07:58:35

Good morning from a grey but dry NE.
The forecast is for 17 degrees today, would be good if it did reach that.
Sister and BIL brought shopping yesterday and BIL said he would come and put some plants in my patio pots, lavender and geraniums for the colour.
DS and family are going to visit the garden today, please let the rain stay away.
Had a message from DD in quarantine, they have been checked on every day one call each so twice a day. The testing is a fiasco though.

Dwmxwg Sun 09-May-21 08:01:14

Good morning from north Surrey. Have had more rain in the night but forecast here is for a dry day, getting warmer into the afternoon.
Yesterday’s shift was one needing lots of patience but they are the shifts I enjoy the most, testing my empathy and communication skills. Job satisfaction ✔️
This morning I am at DD’s as she is working an early. Will be here until daddy arrives, hopefully nice and early and I can go to the gym. We have had altercations here already between the boys but I have learnt the best way to deal with them is to let them get on with it and they are friends again within 10 minutes. Their fighting used to drive me round the bend but I have spoken to lots of colleagues and friends with boys and the fighting seems to be normal so I have stopped stressing about it.
I am hoping that I will get to see/speak to my DS as he has challenges going on in his life. As was commented on yesterday’s thread we never stop worrying about our children, perhaps even more so when they are adults.
Trying to build up Freddie’s walks, his wound is improving but he is still very sulky and needy at the moment. I do hope we won’t regret letting him into our bedroom at night, I do not want to make it the norm. But he was quite sweet keep pushing his nose under the quilt as I was drifting off to sleep.
Roast chicken for dinner later and feet up for some R&R
I do hope all find some enjoyment this Sunday ☀️??

cornergran Sun 09-May-21 08:07:14

Morning Mick, morning All, dry and much brighter in our corner of Somerset.

Thank you everyone for your birthday wishes, they meant a lot. The family wanted to keep to our plans, very wet but oh so enjoyable, just one little group missing. It was wonderful to see them together after so long. Our soon to be not daughter in law video called in the evening with our granddaughters who didn’t seem sad at missing thr outside shower grin, we all chatted for ages, a good finish to the day.

General catching up today, paella later. Your video session sounded fun ashcombe, we’ve still not got back to using thr buses, really should. That will be quite an achievement for your son gaga, afraid I’ve joined the #lazygran crowd. I had a jolt yesterday realising our Littlest isn’t so little any more, not so sure as kitty there will be no more so will move outgrown toys to the loft.

Take care everyone, hope Sunday is gentle with us all.

Anniebach Sun 09-May-21 08:24:49

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Alygran Sun 09-May-21 08:26:08

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It is dry so far but more rain is forecast for later.
Nothing much happening here today. I may do a bit of tidying up in the garden then some reading and knitting.
I’m still trying to decide on paint colours too so may pop out for some samples.
Have a good day everyone. Stay safe.

Gagagran Sun 09-May-21 08:27:33

Thanks Urmston I have pm'd you with DS's Just Giving page. He is raising funds for Cancer Research. If anyone else wants to join in I can pm them the link - not sure if I am allowed to post it on here

GrannySomerset Sun 09-May-21 08:37:31

Short church service this morning but nothing else scheduled. Fine at the moment but the forecast suggests this may not last.

GN keeps making me reset my password every few days and I got tired of trying but was frustrated at not being able to add my two penny worth. Does this happen to other people?

Urmstongran Sun 09-May-21 08:41:24

Only to the trouble makers GrannySomerset.
Joke!
??

cornergran Sun 09-May-21 08:57:09

It’s not happening to me grannysomerset, maybe contact GN admin, doesn’t sound right.

Grandmabatty Sun 09-May-21 09:00:23

Good morning all. It was lovely and sunny earlier but now I'm posting the clouds have gathered. I think a day of sun and showers is on the cards. I was awake at just after five for an hour then fell asleep again so this is my second go at Sunday. I will have to get a loaf or I might bake one. I can't make up my mind about a trip to my local garden centre to pick up a few things. I'll see how I feel later. Other than that, no plans, only a little pottering. Have a good day all.

EllanVannin Sun 09-May-21 09:03:19

Good Morning All x.
Sunny and mild first thing but it's clouded over a bit now. The air is nectar after all the rain, beautiful and fresh. I was standing in the garden an hour ago breathing it all in and listening to the birds, with a cockerel in the distance having his say too.

Trouble is, all this fresh air makes you hungry grin

Nothing on the agenda today to speak of apart from dinner later but must finish my email to D in Oz. I'd already sent one thanking her for the gifts, then she wrote back and sent lovely pics, one of all the family and another of a kookaburra at close quarters outside their house.

My new toaster arrived yesterday so I was rejoicing with a matching pair---kettle and toaster in sunshine yellow to brighten things up. If the microwave should pack in that will be replaced in yellow too. In my last house even the fridge-freezer was yellow. I just think it's cheery smile

Expecting a call from D here later so I'll whip up a batch of scones, easy enough to do, then I'll catch up on all her doings as well. We're hoping that all the family can get together later on in the summer for a huge BBQ in stepD's garden as it's lovely and big, that'll be brilliant because there's a lot of us.

It sounds as though everyone's doing okay here with nothing urgent or pressing going on thankfully. Let's hope it stays that way for you all, so long as it's something we can cope with we'll be alright.

Must get the crumpets on the go before I collapse with starvation grin---just as if !
Have a peaceful Sunday, thoughts to all present and to those who are absent too xx flowers

Gelisajams Sun 09-May-21 09:04:30

Good morning from a bright Morecambe Bay.
A special thank you this morning to NanKate for her support yesterday.
DH is making us an arbour. It was a originally to be a summer house but as we are not allowed buildings at the bottom of the garden- canal and river trust regulations - it has morphed into an arbour. This has been over 4 years in the planning. His illness and Covid-19 has delayed it but he is now steaming ahead with the design. Our dining room table is covered in pieces of paper with detailed drawings it’s a slow process as he is a perfectionist and very thorough. I did tell him if it wasn’t built by March this year I would simply buy one. However he has had genuine excuses for the delay and it does look as if construction may begin in the not too distant future. Watch this space......
We have a gift to buy for 101year old lady. We have hit upon a CD of a cathedral choir singing hymns. She used to play the cathedral organ. Now we just have to track one down. Apparently the cathedrals sell on eBay !
Not sure what else today holds. Wishing everyone the best day possible. Take care stay safe and hopefully find a few??????.

Aldom Sun 09-May-21 09:04:45

Ashcombe Thank you so much for the beautiful Sunday, love, light and happiness meme. I have shared it with many friends this morning and been overwhelmed by their responses. flowers

Grandmajean Sun 09-May-21 09:04:59

Good morning everyone from a so-so Cheshire. No sunshine but at least not raining again. DS picked up ( well , bought ) a new bike for DGS yesterday. Long wait and drive in the rain as bikes are elusive these days ! We now have it in our garage until DGS' ninth birthday on the 25th. He will love it.
Will come back to read posts when chores done.
Wishing all a good Sunday.

B9exchange Sun 09-May-21 09:05:09

Very quick hello from SW Herts, iff to church, then invited fir extra cuddle with new DGD. Have a happy Sunday everyone!

GrannySomerset Sun 09-May-21 09:05:20

You could be on to something, Urms!

Marydoll Sun 09-May-21 09:07:08

Good morning all from a damp Glasgow, where I have little planned.

brook you are so fortunate to be able to travel to Loch Morlich, it is beautiful. I haven't been there for thirty years, the last time was on a field trip with colleagues. We stayed in the Aviemore resort and were giving a row by the manager for having too much fun disturbing other guests. blush

I get so much pleasure hearing about all the activities everyone has planned. Enjoy!

Yesterday, I realised I had little cash in the house, as I have been paying everything online. However our local paper shop only takes cash, as do a few others. It would be a disaster if DH couldn't buy his Racing Post.
I decided that I was going to stop wallowing and go out early to our bank in Paisley, when it would still be quiet.
As usual, nothing went to plan.
My bank card was gathering dust in the little safe I keep hidden under a stash of crafting materials.
Putting in the password, all I got was a whirring sound, but nothing happening. ?
Not to be daunted, I got the hidden key and tried that. Nothing! Panic was now setting in. The only answer could be that something in amongst the rubbish important documents had caught on the mechanism. I did try calling for DH, but his selective deafness needs urgent medical intervention! ?
Eventually, I had to take all the craft stuff away, (why do I have so much stuff????), lift the safe and start turning it upside down, backwards forwards, sideways, anyways to try and free things. I was exhausted and my craft room looked like a teenager's bedroom!!!!! After much expletives huffing and puffing, I freed whatever was causing the problem.
How on earth would have I got into it, if that didn't work?

By the time I got to Paisley, there were no parking spaces left, apart from one tiny one. I knew I wouldn't manage to walk from the multi storey car park, so it had to be this one or give up and go home.
Cue even more advanced driving skills. ? After all the effort, I was not giving up that easily. Some time later, after at least ten attempts, a queue of annoyed bus drivers ??????? and a face to match the colour of my hair, I managed it!
After being incarcerated for a year, I had lost my confidence driving and am trying to challenge myself by going out, when I feel up to it.

Much to my delight, outside the bank, I was excited to find a small farmers' market. However, it was too busy for me, I still get anxious being close to people, especially if they are not wearing masks.
What I did spot was a traditional pie stall, with about a dozen varieties. As Mr MDoll, loves a pie, fool that I am, I bought a stash for the freezer, not realising how heavy they were! ?
I got home to find there was no clue as to what the fillings were. ? The tops had to be prised off to enable me to label them for the freezer.
It may not surprise you to read, I spent the afternoon lying down, I was exhausted.????

My day will be spent taking hems up on four pairs of new trousers, that I eventually persuaded Mr MD to buy. Why can't he have normal length legs like other men? ? DD is the same. She has four pairs of jeans here, waiting to be fixed! It must be genetic! ?

Wishing everyone the best of days and enjoy the sunshine. It's about to rain here. ?

PS. I have been trying to post this for an hour gggrrrrr!? There is something wrong with my tablet, I need to get my IT thinking cap on. it should keep me out of mischief, if nothing else.

Greyduster Sun 09-May-21 09:12:43

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. A nasty wet night followed a nasty wet day in South Yorkshire, and yesterday, apart from some ironing and knitting I did very little and felt dreadful by late evening. Must get out today, whether it’s raining or not. The sun is shining now ??. GS is mud wrestling - aka football - this morning but we have decided to give it a miss as the ground is a good drive away. Whatever you’re doing, I hope the day is kind to you.

Stilllearning Sun 09-May-21 09:13:48

Good morning from a bright S Lanarkshire, hope it lasts!
Posting without reading, the morning is threatening to run away with me, I’ll look forward to catching up with coffee after virtual church.

I’ve had a frenetic few days. I’m taking the plunge and doing something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, having a garden room erected. No holiday last year obviously and no plans for this year either, although I am lucky enough to have friends and family scattered over nice parts of the country so hopefully I will have ‘staycations’ to enjoy.

Anyhoo, garage should have come down on Friday (I have a small garden and never use the garage, full of family junk), and that is where the new room is going to go.
Except, no show from removers. Said it would be done on Saturday and did in fact turn up on Sat. but just inspected the garage and decided they couldn’t complete the job that day so will come and do it on Monday.
They did seem nice men so I’ve got fingers and toes all crossed and will report back.

I am learning that I am too old for major projects now and this is definitely the last!
Wishing everyone a peaceful day ??

Jaxjacky Sun 09-May-21 09:19:54

Good morning Mick and all from a cloudy S Hants. We were both startled in bed last night by a large, single clap of thunder about 11pm, not just us, lots of reports on local fb this morning. A brief trip to the allotment later, then a colour on my newly shorn hair, chicken casserole for dinner. I’m debating window boxes for the front of our house, I’d love some of the brilliant red geraniums we see in France that cascade over the sides and front. This enchantment with flowers is new for me, I’ve always grown veg.
Have an enjoyable day all.
PS Gaga pm me too please re cancer research, thanks.

Urmstongran Sun 09-May-21 09:25:01

A huge family BBQ in a lovely big garden sounds just the ticket to look forward to this summer EV.
?☀️

dragonfly46 Sun 09-May-21 09:30:27

Marydoll I can't see you being very good at being a #lazygran either!! grin

BlueSapphire Sun 09-May-21 09:35:01

Good morning everyone from a brighter Northampton, dry after all the rain yesterday. The gardens needed it.

A day of doing nothing much yesterday. I will draw a veil over the rugby; suffice it to say my lucky socks didn't work. But DD texted and asked me if I wanted to go into the ballot with them for tickets to the last home match of the season next month. It will be restricted numbers along with social distancing and masks, so I thought why not. I have had both vaccines, so shouldn't worry unduly.

And another day of not very much ahead apart from the Sunday papers. Take care everyone.

monk08 Sun 09-May-21 09:40:44

Good morning Mick and all who follow. Bright start to the day in the Black country washing out on the line. Should have been in Alvor Portugal this is the 3rd time of cancelling. Never mind will get there hopefully next year. Gammon for dinner and breakfast is now calling, will come back later to read everyone's happenings. Have a lovely Sunday all.

Party4 Sun 09-May-21 09:42:41

Morning Mick and all, here in West Yorks rained overnight with a blue tinge between clouds just now.
After feeling so cold this week think I am having a cosy day in especially as DS2 and family here for dinner later.
Visit to garden centre to buy new plants yest. need this week to sort out old pots and decide what's going where.The colourful displays in summer makes the task worthwhile as does the effort of planting pathetic wallflower plants in October when now the garden is a blaze of colour.
Thinking of all with illness and worries.