Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I the only person to be disgusted by John Barrowman’s behaviour?

(73 Posts)
Luckylegs Sun 09-May-21 13:46:57

I have searched the site but can’t find any thread about John Barrowman. I’m sorry if I’ve missed one.

I can’t believe what has come to light about his ‘antics’! I used to think he was ok but have seen too much of him recently altogether (whoops, that’s the wrong thing to say!). He has confessed to taking his penis out at every opportunity and explains it was all fun and frolics and everyone thought it was hilarious and how entertaining he was. He would place it on a woman’s shoulder! Am I the only one to be utterly disgusted and horrified about this?

I hope he never appears on tv again, especially not on a programme that children watch like Dancing on Ice. He seems to have a monstrous ego and loves to shout and sing and generally be loud and obnoxious in my opinion. He wasn’t qualified to sit in judgement on anyone in any programme, I don’t think!

Anyone agree?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 09-May-21 16:03:27

I wonder if there will be a prosecution in either of the John Barrowman or Noel Clarke cases?

I do feel that trial by media is becoming the new normal and I feel very uncomfortable with it.

Lollin Sun 09-May-21 16:10:25

I think there are a lot of people out there and not just in entertainment who must be very worried AGAIN. People have walked away from jobs and careers before now because of toxic cultures.

SueDonim Sun 09-May-21 16:12:44

Urgh, how revolting. angry I liked JB, I thought he was brave in coming out etc but now? Yuk. Does he think he’s seven years old or something?? hmm

M0nica Sun 09-May-21 16:14:54

wary of damming this type of thing when it has happened in a past age where things were very different.

behaviour like this has never been acceptable. Is he talking about this the way he is, in hopes that he can avoid being outed and condemned as other actors have.

I assume he is an actor. I have heard of him, but no idea when or where.

suziewoozie Sun 09-May-21 16:17:10

GrannyGravy13

I wonder if there will be a prosecution in either of the John Barrowman or Noel Clarke cases?

I do feel that trial by media is becoming the new normal and I feel very uncomfortable with it.

It’s not trial by media that JB is a pathetic bringer out of his penis in inappropriate situations . He happily admits to it. Our commenting on that is perfectly reasonable.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 09-May-21 16:23:15

suziewoozie

GrannyGravy13

It’s not trial by media that JB is a pathetic bringer out of his penis in inappropriate situations . He happily admits to it. Our commenting on that is perfectly reasonable.

The media I was referring to was the newspapers both in print and on line.

Where have I posted that Our commenting on it is unreasonable please?

AGAA4 Sun 09-May-21 16:33:40

Can you imagine if somebody did that in say an office? The police would be called and he would undoubtedly end up with a very sore willy as it would be smacked by a stapler or something.

suziewoozie Sun 09-May-21 16:33:50

GrannyGravy13

suziewoozie

GrannyGravy13

The media I was referring to was the newspapers both in print and on line.

Where have I posted that Our commenting on it is unreasonable please?

We are part of the media and JB waving his probably pathetic little penis around is news like it or not . Were the MSM supposed to censor the story? I think not.

Lucca Sun 09-May-21 16:38:44

BlueBelle

Can you help me out here he put his todger on women’s shoulders ??? How tall is this man 8ft ? Or did he only do it to tiny tiny women ?
Obviously he has a huge hang up of inadequacy
I d have smacked it if it had gone on my shoulder and said
‘Sorry I thought it was an irritating fly buzzing around’
The women must have been daft to let him

Your post made me giggle. There’s something about the word “todger”??. Sorry.

Lucca Sun 09-May-21 16:45:27

GagaJo

Gay, straight, bi, trans, Martian, putting your genitalia on or near someone is never appropriate.

Jeez. Imagine the stick women would get it we went around doing this.

Physically slightly more challenging too.....

Kate1949 Sun 09-May-21 17:25:53

The problem is they get very famous and influential. Their fellow celebrities suck up to them and everyone is afraid to question their behaviour as happened with Jimmy Savile. They do what they like.

Nandalot Sun 09-May-21 17:27:17

I thought indecent exposure was a crime?
Yes, gone right off him after learning of this disgusting behaviour,

Chestnut Sun 09-May-21 17:42:29

I really don't know how this could have been tolerated, as indecent exposure is a crime. Someone should have complained the first time he did it, unless the powers that be were happy to let him carry on and do it anyway. If so, then those in charge need reprimanding too. They are responsible for allowing such appalling behaviour to go unchecked.

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 17:48:14

As far as I know the producer has denied knowing what was happening, I can't see how this can be possible as the cast wrote a blinking song about it.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 09-May-21 17:58:55

Chestnut

I really don't know how this could have been tolerated, as indecent exposure is a crime. Someone should have complained the first time he did it, unless the powers that be were happy to let him carry on and do it anyway. If so, then those in charge need reprimanding too. They are responsible for allowing such appalling behaviour to go unchecked.

I really hope that the CPS are looking into these incidents. If so I hope that people will open up to what they saw and that the appropriate people are brought to trial.

M0nica Sun 09-May-21 18:24:13

DD worked for the BBC for 10 years and worked in the media for nearly 20. She used to see a lot of famous people around White City and the stories she used to bring home....

I can remember when one to be unnamed celebrity was involved in a sex scandal and was, as they all do, proclaiming his innocence she was telling us that he was a notorious sex-pest and if the public knew half the things he used to do, he would never work again, doing anything.

lemsip Sun 09-May-21 18:30:42

For a crime to be committed someone has to complain at the time instead of everyone sniggering and no one objecting. People are now going to the Guardian and giving accounts of this despicable behaviour by well known people.
This happens in ordinary lives in workplaces aswell. Most snigger and do and say nothing. Management don't want to know.

Chestnut Sun 09-May-21 18:34:19

I'm pretty sure I'd have complained if a man slapped his penis down near me and expected a response. It's never happened thank goodness, but I feel sure I'd have created merry hell if it was in the workplace.

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 18:38:05

I think workplace culture is interesting. One of the new starters on the show said it was only the new people who thought it was weird. I think they had been almost groomed in to thinking it was ok.

TerriBull Sun 09-May-21 18:38:16

Maybe they don't want to discuss it, but if they did, I'm sure many women would like to hear the point of view of the victims on the receiving end of such horrible intimidation, all breezily wrapped up as "a bit of tomfoolery" The "tomfoolery" description being a complete misnomer. How can it ever be acceptable to expose genitals in the workplace and worse still touch people with it! shock Maybe he had his lightbulb moment of realisation when the whole Harvey Weinstein debacle broke. Although really how can anyone be that thick and insensitive around women. I don't really buy the whole "with hindsight" crap. It's truly shocking that he thought his behaviour was okay.

If that was JB's thing, as people who had worked with him have stated, he did it frequently seeing it as merely a light hearted jolly jape to entertain his colleagues, why didn't he consider becoming a male stripper then he could have done what he enjoys the most and at least the women who he exposed himself to would have made an informed choice about being on the receiving end of his warped exhibitionism !

M0nica Sun 09-May-21 20:13:14

The problem with the media, and this is of course why Harvey Wenstein could operate as he did for so long, that your career depends on standing well in the sight of people who may cast you in a part, give you a key job.

To be seen to be complaining about the aggressive sexual behaviour of these people, means that you will effectively soon be out of work.

Jimmy Saville continued to do what he did for so long, because people were afraid to complain about him, firstly because they did not think they would be believed and secondly, such was his power and influence, the only person to suffer from complaining would be the sufferer themselves.

Iam64 Sun 09-May-21 21:11:33

It does sound as though an unhealthy culture existed that made it difficult for newcomers to challenge. Christopher Ecclestone has a rep as a hardworking reliable man. It’s reported he only did one season of Dr Who because of the toxic culture