Gransnet forums

Chat

What time do you get up in the morning?

(168 Posts)
FarawayGran Thu 13-May-21 06:15:13

I am not an early riser. The reason that I am posting this at
6 am is because I haven't slept a wink.
When I get around to reading the discussions I find the larks among you have filled up to seven pages.
I wonder how I got the impression that 'Larks' feel superior to us 'Owls'
'The early bird catches the worm' is a lofty saying by Larks, but I don't know if there are any such sayings by Owls, I can only remember :
A wise old owl sat on an oak
The more he saw the less he spoke,
The less he spoke the more he heard
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird
Even if we do sleep until mid-morning! moon

BlueSky Thu 13-May-21 09:49:18

Up at 7am, bed at 12am. DH is a hour later as I like getting up on my own and going to bed on my own!

Kim19 Thu 13-May-21 09:52:40

I sleep fitfully and accommodate my night with bits of reading or ipad indulgence. Actually getting out of bed depends on what attracts me. A beautiful morning with sunshine has me in the garden at silly times whereas grey and rain has me staying in bed until equally silly times. I will not specify either (can't really) but I simply go with my flow. Seems to work for me. No regimentation whatsoever. I'm currently into a bit of home improvement so that's an incentive for rising. Also social life is beginning to rear it's beautiful head which is adding a need for structure. Maybe that's my need - incentive?

Puzzler61 Thu 13-May-21 09:55:34

Wake up 6am - 7am most mornings and love to open the curtains and hear the birds singing.
Usually asleep by 11 pm.
Same 7 days a week as the weekends are no different now we’re retired.

Hellogirl1 Thu 13-May-21 10:11:06

I get up at about 6.15 am, not through choice, I`d happily lie there most of the day, but I need to be up, washed and dressed with Lynne`s breakfast ready by the time the carers arrive, and as their times vary so much I daren`t be late up.

Billybob4491 Thu 13-May-21 10:33:51

I get up between 5.00am - 6.00am Summer or Winter, its the best time of the day. I do go to bed ridiculously early.

JaneJudge Thu 13-May-21 10:36:45

Hellogirl1

I get up at about 6.15 am, not through choice, I`d happily lie there most of the day, but I need to be up, washed and dressed with Lynne`s breakfast ready by the time the carers arrive, and as their times vary so much I daren`t be late up.

Yes, it's quite difficult when you have carers call isn't it? I remember one saying to me 'aren't you dressed yet?' and I thought it's my bloody home! I am not at work like you grin but it made me self conscious that I should be dressed after that

JaneJudge Thu 13-May-21 10:37:27

I had clothes on btw and a dressing gown. I obviously looked ghastly though ;)

FlexibleFriend Thu 13-May-21 10:42:19

I get up at 9am as a rule but sometimes it's 10am, it depends on what time I wake up. I go to bed at 11pm. I sleep well.

Witzend Thu 13-May-21 10:45:35

It varies a lot. I often don’t sleep well at all, up and down, reading, etc., so after a relatively good night, I might be up at 6. After a bad one, like last night, I finally fell asleep again at around 5.30 and woke again at 8.45. But occasionally it might be as late as 9.30.
What is nice is that now I don’t usually have to be anywhere early, it doesn’t matter. ?

aonk Thu 13-May-21 11:35:19

I try to get as much sleep at night as I can. I go to bed around 10.30 and get up about 8. Sometimes a bit later. I’ve read that it’s important to get plenty of sleep for one’s mental health and I’m very keen to avoid napping during the day. I would only do this if feeling unwell.

Chardy Thu 13-May-21 11:52:44

When I was working, it was up at 5.15am. Now retired, I go to bed soon after 10pm and am usually awake by 6am, even if I'd stayed up late. I try to stay in bed as my kitchen is directly above the bedroom of the downstairs flat! And she's a night owl.
Like aonk, I try to avoid napping. Like Kim19, as I often wake in the night and go onto my tablet (I listen to audiobooks).

B9exchange Thu 13-May-21 11:59:21

Definitely a night owl, don't often go the bed the same day as I get up, which is some time after 8.00 am.

BlueSky Thu 13-May-21 12:30:43

Now I’m retired I like the flexibility of being able to stay up late to watch a film, or get up later if it’s raining or have a nap during the day if I haven’t slept well!

cornishpatsy Thu 13-May-21 12:49:29

I get up about 10ish, a definite night owl, never go to sleep before 2 am.

3nanny6 Thu 13-May-21 13:02:53

Wow !!!!!!! there are so many of you on this thread that are awake at 5.30am to 6a.m you certainly are up with the lark.

When I was working I used to be up at 6,15 am for four mornings and because you get into a routine I would wake up at that time everyday. These days it is usually about 7.45 am and l do enjoy that bit of extra sleep.

Maywalk Thu 13-May-21 16:16:04

I have had my breakfast by 5-30am every morning.
I will be 91 next week and I like to stick to a routine mainly because my bladder tells me to. LOL

Clio51 Thu 13-May-21 16:33:24

I’ve never been a morning person
Now retired 63 , wake couple times in night
Usually go straight back off.
Dp wakes me with coffee(usually awake) C @ 9

Mapleleaf Thu 13-May-21 16:40:36

Usually, it's between 8 and 9 am, but this can vary if I need to be up for something, or if I'm particularly tired so sleep on. That's the beauty of retirement, no pressure to be up at a given time. When I was working the alarm went off just after 6. Nowadays, there tends to be only one 6 o'clock ?.

Kate1949 Thu 13-May-21 16:44:49

9 ish. I had 40 years of getting up at 6 am for work. I deserve my lie ins smile

Kali2 Thu 13-May-21 16:50:40

Alarm goes at 8.10 and then (oh I am so grateful), OH brings me a cup of tea in bed. Exercises, shower- normally turn up downstairs at about 9 for breakfast.

Nanna58 Thu 13-May-21 17:36:10

The time I get up and the time I actually get going are getting furtherand further apart thanks to my Arthritis!!

ninathenana Thu 13-May-21 17:37:46

I often wake about 5 am ho to the bathroom and go back to bed until 7.30-8.30.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 13-May-21 17:44:36

6.30am for the last few months, go to bed around 11 to 11.30

crazyH Thu 13-May-21 17:51:12

Cornishpatsy, so glad I’ve got company - all these Larks !!!!!!
Mind you, I have heard that 5-6a.m is the best time of day....

TerriBull Thu 13-May-21 17:52:30

From reading through the various posts, I see I'm quite similar to others often awake at 5.30ish, usually tossing and turning, I really ought to get up and do something. I sometimes get up about 6.30, I am an early morning person but certainly don't feel superior about it, I'm merely following my body clock. I make coffee about 7ish, after which I'm definitely up for the day!