Gransnet forums

Chat

Snobbiest places in the UK

(246 Posts)
Mollygo Sun 16-May-21 12:02:44

I noticed a thread in Mumsnet asking this question. What do GNs think?

Yorki Thu 03-Jun-21 14:46:25

Blossoming.. Well said. ??

Ali08 Thu 03-Jun-21 03:28:40

My DDs ex future MILs house!!
That woman THINKS she's posh and a snob but is just as common as the rest of us, and she is VERY 2faced, too! ??
The rest of her family are not so bad.
She and her husband are quite like Mrs. Bucket ('Bouquet') and her poor husband!!

Eloethan Wed 26-May-21 15:30:47

Yorki I don't think a shop is obliged to sell you goods that have been mistakenly marked at a lower price. But some shops, for the sake of goodwill, do so.

Yorki Tue 25-May-21 09:29:12

Wellbeck.. That would really wind me up.

Yorki Tue 25-May-21 09:22:58

Regarding the John Lewis store purchase "or not" ... I thought they had a legal obligation to sell goods at the price on display, whether its wrongly priced or not.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 22-May-21 16:25:24

That is a bit sad Ydoc about changing things into a Harrods bag as the only people who are impressed by that are other snobs.

Yorki Thu 20-May-21 09:13:01

Jean Robinson, I total agree with you.. As a hairdresser, I've met people who were born into money, they were the loveliest people, kind, compassionate and generous. Those who married into money or were given it in one way or another, were quite spiteful, mean, and cruel in the words they used about things and people, they thought they had every right to talk down their noses to those who didn't have much and brag constantly about their own self righteousness, aggressive bullies I saw them to be.. They had a continuous need to tell you what they had against what you don't have.

Edith81 Thu 20-May-21 00:23:03

Mollyco
Yes, that would be my definition of snobby, who actually thinks he or she is superior.

JaneJudge Wed 19-May-21 10:22:46

Witzend, is it Sheila Bloom aka bitchface off FRiday night dinner? grin

fairfraise Wed 19-May-21 10:02:39

When we first moved to this house, 40 years ago, I went one day to the second hand bookshop at top of the road. The owner knew I was new in the area and asked where we had moved from (another suburb not far away). She said immediately "You get a better type of person over here!"

Shropshirelass Wed 19-May-21 09:23:21

There are snobby people in all areas, usually the ones who have suddenly found themselves going up in the world! The people who have always been there are not usually snobby in the least!

Deedaa Wed 19-May-21 09:19:05

We moved to Cornwall when DD was 4 months old but, having two London parents, she didn't pick up much of a Cornish accent. When she went to a university in Surrey everyone told her she had such a Cornish accent. When she came home to Cornwall everyone told her she'd picked up a real London accent. To us she sounded exactly the same.

Ydoc Wed 19-May-21 09:09:52

I think its someone who thinks they are better than you because of where they shop, go out to eat etc. I have a older sister who from a child thought she was better than rest of family. She definitely believes above us, correct pronunciation etc, spelling even now she 69 will still put you right. My younger sister has decided she wants to follow and has said she will not step foot in certain shops (tkmaxx) being one my favourite. Chooses the most expensive place to eat out but the odd thing is they do not have loads of money where is it coming from?
I have seen a woman in a car park take her shopping from one shop and change it to a harrods bag. I find it very sad they feel the need

Witzend Wed 19-May-21 07:59:25

Terribull, that did make me laugh. I swear a neighbour of ours thought my (very) old car - only recently changed for a much newer one - was lowering the tone. However she’s the sort of person who’d honestly die rather than be seen in anything other than a Merc, not to mention the type who judges people’s worth solely by their cars and other possessions, so I have never given a stuff about her opinion.

Kamj Wed 19-May-21 07:47:18

MaggieMay69

The village I live in is called Wendover. It is a half n half place. We have the older folk who live here (65 & upwards like me) that are so friendly and lovely and love their village (its been declared a town but to the people that live here its Wendover Village!) but the newer younger families that have moved in and around, so many of them are so up themselves its unreal!!
I honestly overheard a father at the local school well over two years ago and its melted onto my brain!
" Yes, well, I may go to the Chocolaterie on the high street, David Jason goes there you know....Oh I sit and chat with him all the time! We're quite close to Chequers too so theres that yeah, oooh, best dash, must make Mummy her favourite Flan, I'm King of the Flan you know, all my friends say they simply won't come round unless I make my flan!'

I can honestly say I giggled to myself all the way home. King of the bloody flan! lol

I live near wendover and i can vouch its far from snobby ? funniest thing ive heard ?

Secondwind Wed 19-May-21 07:04:05

More power to your elbow, * H1954*!smile

welbeck Wed 19-May-21 00:55:15

kjmpde

I have a strong Brummie accent and find that once i open my mouth their attitude changes. So many TV programmes portray us Brummies as thick and that view continues. Is that how some would consider as snobby ?

when i moved to b'ham from london area, i thought people were making fun of me.
they'd ask me what i'd done that day and then repeat it to each other, with that sing-song tone, ending the sentence on an up note.
it took me a while to realise that they spoke like that all the time. in london that would be done to mock someone, quite aggressively, as if challenging to a fight.
it was the intonation rather than the accent that confused me.

nanna8 Wed 19-May-21 00:41:41

One of my husband’s cousins from Manchester went to uni down south and within one term had totally changed his accent to a southern snotty one. Damn good actor is all I could say. Here there is not a great deal of difference between accents that I can hear but my daughters tell me the youngest one, who is an artist, has a posh accent. The broad Aussie is pretty rare round here,though, everyone sounds pretty much the same. Similar to the Kiwis.

welbeck Wed 19-May-21 00:32:05

MommaB

I had a Julia Roberts moment in a JL store a few years ago. I had gone in to buy several. Electrical items but noticed a jumper I’d had my eye on whilst browsing. It had been reduced and decided to buy. At the checkout the assistant said it was wrongly priced and refused to sell it. The manger said she’d take it off sale I left and spent a rather considerable sum in the electrical store next door. JL loss and I’ve never shopped there since.

i don't see that as snobby, not like the scene in the movie.
i can see that it was disappointing/annoying for you not to be able to buy the jumper, but the shop was acting correctly.
it was not because of how they perceived you, or made any judgement about you.
legally they did the right thing to withdraw the item from sale if it had been wrongly priced.
i guess they could have chosen to let you purchase it at the indicated price, but they are not obliged to do so.
and i doubt that they would have acted any differently whoever the customer was, or looked like.

welbeck Wed 19-May-21 00:25:57

Tedd1

I was a mature student about to embark on a nursing degree at Oxford Brooks university. Having difficulty finding the place, I asked an older gentleman if hy could point me the way. He scratched his head and then he said to me “ oh you mean the polytechnic “. He obviously didn’t acknowledge where I was going as a proper university!!

to be fair, that's not necessarily snobby though.
it's how i might think, but probably translate in my head and not say. he may not even have known that it was now called brookes.
it's to identify the desired location or building, esp as so many have changed the label outside.
similar thing happen with hospitals, and even some business premises. eg the telegraph building in fleet street, even though the newspapers all moved out yonks ago.

jenni123 Tue 18-May-21 23:57:30

Don't know about places but I have a sister who is a snob. People have asked me how we were brought up in the same home, we are so different. She puts on airs and graces along with 'the voice' when talking to people, she has racist views, is homophobic, when I married a guy from Antigua she told my daughter not to let her teenage son and daughter see the wedding photos as she said 'I don't want then to know my sister has married a black man, it's disgusting '. Needless to say I don't see her or talk to her at all.

GreenGran78 Tue 18-May-21 23:13:20

Terribull. Your story of the car ‘letting down the neighbourhood’ reminded me of something that happened in Bibury, in the Cotswolds, a few years ago.
The village is, apparently, very picturesque, and visited and photographed by tourists. One elderly resident bought a yellow car, which immediately attracted hate messages. It was also vandalised. Many of the locals thought that it was an eyesore, spoiling peoples’ photographs. The owner refused to get rid of it, and someone mentioned it on social media.
The owners of yellow cars from all over the U.K. drove there in protest and support, and it was reported on the BBC news.
I don’t know what the outcome was, but Bibury residents definitely qualify as snobby

AnD1 Tue 18-May-21 22:38:16

A large bouquet was sent jointly from Partners and staff to another Partner for an occasion. Two thank you letters were sent back, one to the employees “the flowers look beautiful in the sitting room”. To the Partners the same except they looked beautiful in the drawing room!

mokryna Tue 18-May-21 21:38:35

While in China, twenty odd years ago, I lived in a block of appartements for foreigners, another family had their Chinese cleaner/cook dress in a black dress and white apron. The other Chinese workers thought they were rich. We were only expats.

Mollygo Tue 18-May-21 21:35:50

It’s true that the people rather than the places are often snobbish, but you tend to remember the place where you met them as well as the behaviour.