Gransnet forums

Chat

Snobbiest places in the UK

(245 Posts)
Mollygo Sun 16-May-21 12:02:44

I noticed a thread in Mumsnet asking this question. What do GNs think?

nanna8 Sun 16-May-21 12:26:01

I don’t know- but I am interested. I haven’t actually lived there since 1974. Then I would have said Chelsea and Hampstead Heath but things are probably completely different now. In those days Islington was rough and even Greenwich wasn’t too good.

Blossoming Sun 16-May-21 12:26:04

Mumsnet is the snobbiest place!

Tea3 Sun 16-May-21 12:28:20

My sister in law’s house.

jeanrobinson Sun 16-May-21 12:43:17

The snobbiest places are likely to be ones where people live who have just moved up in the world, and feel they have to pretend they are something they are not
Jean Robinson

MawBe Sun 16-May-21 12:46:48

What do you define as “snobbiest” ?
Most expensive?
Most exclusive?
Most desirable?
I have to admit I find words like snobby usually say more about the person using it than what is being described.
So not you OP, blame MN!

nanna8 Sun 16-May-21 12:46:50

Never been to Mumsnet ,is it on the M1?

Peasblossom Sun 16-May-21 12:46:54

Cambridge. Without a doubt.?

kittylester Sun 16-May-21 12:47:45

No, tea3, it would have been my mum's house.

kittylester Sun 16-May-21 12:48:29

I suppose we have to ask what your definition of snobby is.

TerriBull Sun 16-May-21 12:54:32

I have no idea where that would be! However with the original post in mind, I did read, probably about a week ago, a woman who lived in the Isle of Wight, not a snobby place as far as I'm aware, was sent a horrible note by a neighbour telling her that her car lowered the tone of the street shock

NotSpaghetti Sun 16-May-21 12:59:40

My next door neighbour was once told by my other next door neighbour that his front window did that!
He had put a upvc one in and in order to make the "off the peg" one fit, had lifted the windowsill by a few inches!

Mollygo Sun 16-May-21 12:59:46

My definition of snobby is unwelcoming. The snobbiest place I’ve ever been is Coventry. I asked someone if they knew the best way to the town centre and got a frosty look and, “I don’t have time to answer questions like that!” Honestly, I did ask for town centre, not Anne Summers!

Vickysponge Sun 16-May-21 13:01:24

TerriBull

I have no idea where that would be! However with the original post in mind, I did read, probably about a week ago, a woman who lived in the Isle of Wight, not a snobby place as far as I'm aware, was sent a horrible note by a neighbour telling her that her car lowered the tone of the street shock

Haha I’d have laughed my head off and told her to get stuffed!

TerriBull Sun 16-May-21 13:19:13

I hope she did Vicky. I'm glad her snobbery was exposed, all over social media I gather grin serves her right!

Tea3 Sun 16-May-21 13:19:52

kittylester

I suppose we have to ask what your definition of snobby is.

Someone who says ‘They are not on the same social level as us’ (sister in law) just has to qualify.

EllanVannin Sun 16-May-21 13:31:18

Are there such places ?

Vickysponge Sun 16-May-21 13:31:19

TerriBull

I hope she did Vicky. I'm glad her snobbery was exposed, all over social media I gather grin serves her right!

Quite agree. Whatever next! Can’t abide snobs! ?

glammanana Sun 16-May-21 13:35:55

There will always be some who think they are better than others in all walks of life but as my mum always said "we all go to the toilet the same so whats the difference."

Nannytopsy Sun 16-May-21 13:48:44

Henley. My brother did his own painting and decorating was a neighbour had a quiet word. “ We don’t do that in this area” !

Nannytopsy Sun 16-May-21 13:49:05

And not was!

JenniferEccles Sun 16-May-21 13:49:44

Snobby is such a strange term isn’t it?
Is it that those who describe a person or people as snobby just demonstrating their own feelings of inferiority?

Surely there is no such thing as a snobby town or place as everywhere, even so called upmarket areas have a wide variety of folk.

I’m sure the accusation indicates a problem with those making the claim.

Kate1949 Sun 16-May-21 13:51:49

I've posted this before. I told a 'friend' whose husband had died that if she needed someone to talk to at any time that we could meet for a coffee or something. She took me up on the offer a few times and on one occasion said to me 'I am meeting up with people now who I would never have dreamed of meeting up with when my husband was alive -no offence'. Offence taken actually.

GagaJo Sun 16-May-21 13:52:04

All of the snobby places I can think of also have a seedy side. So Newmarket has its snobby bits, BUT also has the opposite. Edinburgh, with both. Chelsea was fairly snobby when I lived there.

Mollygo Sun 16-May-21 13:59:33

Nannytopsy, ? how strange. Would they have been happy to pay him to paint and decorate their homes, just not his own?
I’m now wondering if snobby could be described as someone who likes to feel superior and to ‘put down’ others for what they do or the way they feel rather than the way the recipient actually feels.