Gransnet forums

Chat

Nicknames for neighbours

(157 Posts)
Santana Mon 17-May-21 09:13:13

We do have nicknames for neighbours, more to help know who we are talking about than to be disrespectful. We have an abundance of Daves so one became 'the godbod' as he always pops a religious newspaper through our letterbox. Another, the neighbourhood watch Dave. I bet my husband is electrical Dave.
New neighbours have become the Wonderful Family as I heard that said so many times before I met them. They are indeed a lovely family!
As child I remember my dad calling neighbours The Tinks as they were always fiddling with their car.
Just wondered if we are alone in our nicknaming of neighbours?

MrsRobert60 Fri 21-May-21 20:50:09

One neighbour bent over noisily but didn't notice my husband walking past. Their house is called fartyman house.

Buffybee Fri 21-May-21 19:36:34

Fish pond man and fish pond wife.
Olive Oil as she is the double.
Mr Perfect as his house, lawn, car are always immaculate.
Quiet man and wife.
The Biking couple.
Joe Taxi.

Thebeeb Fri 21-May-21 19:34:47

Haggie Maggie.

love0c Fri 21-May-21 19:08:20

Nobby and blobby. Sorry! Horrible family.

Grandma600 Fri 21-May-21 19:03:05

Many years ago we lived a few doors down from a single man who every morning and evening walked his dog to the end of our road and back. He never stopped to talk but acknowledged everyone with a solemn nod of the head. We called him "Man With Dog". Fast forward a year when we'd made friends with the couple who lived at the end of the road. Their name for the same chap was "Plop Dog Man". I guess we were the lucky ones, then!

rugbymumcumbria Thu 20-May-21 18:40:58

Bad Fat Pat.
She was always miserable and had a face like bad fat according to my MIL.

PurpleStar Thu 20-May-21 10:19:38

This post is so amusing! We had neighbours years ago and called one man "Grasshopper" he had really long legs and my DH said he expected him to hop off at any given moment.Wayne and Waynetta (no explanation needed and Doughnut! (always seemed to be eating one outside)

Glasgo Thu 20-May-21 10:07:21

Thanks so much Santana I have never laughed so much. I keep re-reading this post, so funny.
We have ‘Hyundai man’, the ‘lighthouse’ (have exterior downlighters on continuously) and the the ‘ants in their pants’ in and out multiple times a day. Worried about my nickname as I have a large dog who is like a steam train pulling me along!

coastalgran Thu 20-May-21 10:07:04

Oh yes! I have the 'Jack Russells' they own two Jack Russell terriers. Mr & Mrs Gnome, their garden is full of gnomes and other little figurines. Mr Flag Pole, he runs up his flag every time he comes to his holiday home to let us know he is in residence. His Lordship, he is always in a very nice tweed shooting coat when he walks his wee dog, sometimes he has on a check shirt, waistcoat, watch & chain if the weather is warm. I have a brilliant array of neighbours, I often wonder what they call me when I am out with my Schnauzer.

Alishka Thu 20-May-21 10:00:34

I LOVE Dante's Inferno, Lucylastic !! grin

Grannyguitar Thu 20-May-21 08:58:32

The lady over the road has wooden louvres on all her windows, just like wardrobe doors. She is known in this house as The Lady in The Wardrobe.

GrammaH Thu 20-May-21 01:56:17

I can't sleep tonight so I'm loving these & trying not to laugh too loud & wake hubby. We have a few nicknames - Fat Gerald who was then wasn't now is; Slimey- because he is; his son Young, Slimey & Black which came from the song Young, gifted & Black. He is Slimey's son & is also slimey, probably gifted but not Black. He is abbreviated to YS&B. The we have Mrs Back Passage, abbreviated to Mrs BP....she lives up a back road. Our son lives next door to Mrs Crazy, a rather eccentric old lady. Who knows what we're called!

GrauntyHelen Thu 20-May-21 00:24:49

Love's young dream (older neighbours from either end of the street with a very on off relationship) Ponytail man and his wife then everyone with dogs referred to as dog name mum /dad

Naesodaft Wed 19-May-21 21:14:45

We once lived across the street from “the young couple” and “the teacher and the social worker “ and continued to refer to them by those names to each other long after we knew their names

LibbyR Wed 19-May-21 20:42:43

We call our neighbour, Dave the slave. His wife runs the poor bloke ragged and he always looks so miserable. He is however a very nice man and quite chatty when he’s allowed to be. She keeps horses but he does all the work so he’s constantly pushing a wheelbarrow or carrying buckets of feed up and down the road to their horses field.

Florida12 Wed 19-May-21 20:34:21

My neighbours before I moved were the bumperthuds.

My late husband used to call the neighbour on the other side Bungalow Bill! I have no idea why.

Stilton Wed 19-May-21 20:32:56

I really hope Alan Bennett is on Gransnet(!)
There's at least another couple of dozen monologues for a new series of Talking Heads in here. grin

LadyGracie Wed 19-May-21 20:25:26

Hilda and Trevor.
The Fat Knacker.

Bluecat Wed 19-May-21 20:22:45

We had Beady Eyes, who unfortunately dropped dead in our next-door neighbour's front garden. The police asked me for his name. For a minute, I couldn't remember and could only think "Beady Eyes."

When I was working, we called two women in a neighboring shop Dimbo and Bimbo. I'm afraid that I was the one who first called them that. There was also Mr Knuckles, who had the posture and, to be honest, the personality of a gorilla. I wasn't responsible for that one, though.

My mum and nanna would constantly refer to people by nicknames. The one I remember is Was Fat And Is Thin. The name is self-explanatory.

Treebee Wed 19-May-21 20:00:21

The family opposite are The Sunderlands as he wears a striped football shirt in Sunderland colours.

Lucylastic Wed 19-May-21 19:55:30

We live in Dan**** Crescent so our nicknames are themed -
Repairs his own roof - Dan Dare
Sharp dresser - Dan the Man
Frequent bonfires - Dante's inferno
Ogles anything in a skirt - Desperate Dan
Got rid of a lovely mature tree - The F*ckwit

catd Wed 19-May-21 19:34:00

I live in what is locally called 'the posh apartments'.
There are a group of ladies and one man who regularly meet referred to as the grand ladies and their lap dog and one lady who drives everyone potty known at the Queen Bee

Ukcarolm Wed 19-May-21 19:18:09

We have the Steptoe family , his garden is an absolute nightmare full of junk that he's "going to sell"

GagaJo Wed 19-May-21 19:00:59

Had a neighbour we called Hatchet Face years ago, because she always had a face like thunder.

moggie57 Wed 19-May-21 18:38:50

the wicked witch of the west.Attila the gun. and my nice neighbour Rupert(the bear)