Gransnet forums

Chat

What’s your favourite mondegreen?

(210 Posts)
Blossoming Tue 18-May-21 17:21:54

A mondegreen is a misheard lyric or phrase that seems to make sense but has a completely different meaning to the actual words used. It comes from a mishearing of a poem that read ‘They have slain the Earl of Moray and Lady Mondegreen. Except it really read ‘They have slain the Earl of Murray and laid him on the green’.

My own favourite, courtesy of a little niece, is that well known song by John Travolta and Olivia Newton John, from Grease, “You’re the Wizard of Oz, ooh ooh ooh”.

CatNurse Sat 22-May-21 00:52:13

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Pittcity Sat 22-May-21 09:18:42

Polly4t42

Yes I agree I was brought up in Southampton which had a city wall but I knew other towns and cities didn’t. So it made sense to me as a child that having a city wall or not was an important thing.

The green hill was outside (without) the city wall.

Alexa Sat 22-May-21 09:49:37

"When the sun hits your eye like a big piece of pie that's amore"

Mollygo Sat 22-May-21 09:56:31

Alexa do you mean those aren’t the right words?gringrin

CherryCezzy Sat 22-May-21 18:36:38

Only just found this thread, loving these ?

Here's mine:
"He pulled in just behind the fridge, he laid her down, she frowned" ? David Bowie Young Americans

Well you would frown if someone tried to lay you down behind a fridge wouldn't you ?

effalump Mon 24-May-21 15:35:01

My younger brother was born around the time when Donna Summer had "I feel love" in the charts and my mum always used to say the chorus sounded like "Nappy rash".

Youngatheart51 Mon 24-May-21 16:05:40

Chiquitita by ABBA gets sung as take your teeth out & my husband always sings mammeries instead of memories in I will always love you by Whitney Houston!

blossom14 Mon 24-May-21 18:01:50

Many years ago when telephones were not common in households. The BBC would often broadcast missing persons appeals after the news. My little mind interpreted the plummy voiced announcer saying 'Last heard of' as 'Lost her dog'. I assumed that there was a nationwide list of people who had registered a lost dog!

timetogo2016 Mon 24-May-21 18:06:34

Chiquititia by Abba, we sang " take your teeth out".