Gransnet forums

Chat

Any films you have been to see that you were disappointed with?

(130 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 24-May-21 13:52:59

‘ The Revenant’ was one of these. Very boring.

hollysteers Tue 25-May-21 10:23:13

Hated Turner, Timothy Spaull grunted all the way through and Mamma Mia was an embarrassment.

Chestnut Tue 25-May-21 10:54:39

I switched off La La Land on TV - another thumbs down ?
I decided to check out the dancing scene and even that was awful. It doesn't begin to compare with the old musicals!

The most overhyped film ever was ET. I was almost expecting an out of body experience from all the hype, so was actually disappointed with it.

MayBee70 Tue 25-May-21 12:24:12

hollysteers

Hated Turner, Timothy Spaull grunted all the way through and Mamma Mia was an embarrassment.

I disliked Mrs Lowry as well as Turner, the latter being a huge disappointment as I went to see it expecting great things of it. However, in general I usually love anything that Timothy Spall does. I’ve never liked Mamma Mia but did watch the second one the other week, mainly because Cher was in it and she can do no wrong in my eyes.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 25-May-21 12:28:50

Cabaret - all the hype beforehand was ridiculous.
Love Story - I thought that Ali McGraw's character came across as much nastier than in the book.
Lady Caroline Lamb was depressing - I actually felt quite sad leaving the cinema.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 25-May-21 12:34:17

I've just remembered The Way We Were which could have done with at least 30 minutes lopping off. I was fidgeting in my seat and willing it to end. There were a few scenes when I thought it was going to finish, but no, still more. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch it again.

Hemelbelle Tue 25-May-21 14:16:42

Another vote here for La La Land which I saw at the cinema; however when I was giving an account of the plot to a friend, it didn't seem so bad after all. Maybe it was the music that just didn't do it for me. However, the most disappointed and let down I have felt at the cinema was A Star is Born. I hadn't seen previous versions so had nothing to compare it to; but I don't think I have seen a more miserable film.

MayBee70 Tue 25-May-21 14:18:50

There were several Star Wars films after the initial first three (which were wonderful) that made me want to get up and leave. Every time they had another battle I just wanted everybody to die so I could go home.

MayBee70 Tue 25-May-21 14:19:50

Hemelbelle

Another vote here for La La Land which I saw at the cinema; however when I was giving an account of the plot to a friend, it didn't seem so bad after all. Maybe it was the music that just didn't do it for me. However, the most disappointed and let down I have felt at the cinema was A Star is Born. I hadn't seen previous versions so had nothing to compare it to; but I don't think I have seen a more miserable film.

Got it on dvd. Gave up after half an hour. Don’t have any inclination to watch all of it!

Lemontart Wed 26-May-21 10:41:47

I loved La La Land and The Greatest Showman but hated "Moonlight". I don't understand why it won an Oscar.

Caro57 Wed 26-May-21 10:42:54

The revenant was dire - about 1.5hours could have been cut with no great loss to the plot at all

Pammie1 Wed 26-May-21 10:45:02

Dunkirk, LaLa Land and 1917. How LaLa Land achieved all those rave reviews I’ll never know. TBH I don’t think I’m qualified to include this in my list because I turned it off halfway through - couldn’t follow it. However, I have to say one of the best films I’ve seen lately is Nomadland. Was a bit slow to start but I ended up really enjoying it.

Pammie1 Wed 26-May-21 10:46:45

@HemelBelle. I have the Barbra Streisand/Kris Kristofferson version of A Star is Born on DVD. Way better than the latest miserable offering.

icanhandthemback Wed 26-May-21 10:50:44

I thought LaLaLand was the most pointless film I have ever seen. There was nothing about it that made me think, "Oh, this bit is good."
I avoided Dirty Dancing and Flashdance for years...and rightly so.
It is very rare for an overhyped film to be as good as the critics think and quite often, those that are trashed by them turn out to me great films.

Spec1alk Wed 26-May-21 11:06:05

Annodomini I find I can never sustain concentration for a film when on a plane- it’s so frustrating!

dolphindaisy Wed 26-May-21 11:07:37

Tried watching Lost in Translation, got bored after first half hour. Also didn't get through La La Land or the Mama Mia films. BUT the one I really can't stand (wait for it) is The Sound of Music - so much sugar there should be a health warning.

annodomini Wed 26-May-21 11:08:58

True,*Speclalk*. I struggle to think of any film I've watched to the end on any long-haul flight! In fact, it has always been quite a good way to get some sleep. grin

GrammaH Wed 26-May-21 11:12:10

La La Land; Dunkirk - didn't get past the first 10.minutes; I fell asleep in the recent one about Churchill; Mama Mia was cringeworthy

HannahLoisLuke Wed 26-May-21 11:18:05

There will be Blood. Nearly nodded off.
I knew The Greatest Showman and LaLa Land wouldn’t be my thing as I can’t stand musicals. All that shouting that they call singing!
The Shape of Water, all that green murk, and I paid to see it at the cinema.
So many arty foreign films that I’ve been dragged to by my film mad friend, yawn.

olliebeak Wed 26-May-21 11:22:18

There are hardly any films at all, on release today, that I feel like 'taking a chance on watching'.

I'm at an age in life, where 'a couple of hours of boredom' are wasted hours that I'll never get back again.

I think it's probably around 10-12 years since the subject of a film made me think 'ooooh I like the sound of that!'. That was 'The Way Back' starring Peter Weir and Colin Farrell - based on the book 'The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz' which I'd read, and enjoyed, in the mid 70s.

I quite enjoyed the film, but there was so much that was missing from the original book sad.

mimismo Wed 26-May-21 11:23:39

I confess to recording the Star Wars movies so I can fast forward through all the boring fights. I'll probably end up doing the same with The Hobbit films and those of Lord of the Rings. I've always skipped the battles when reading the Rings trilogy too! smile

grandmac Wed 26-May-21 11:23:42

dolphin daisy. So agree about Sound of Music! Why is it still on every Christmas?!
Another vote for Close Encounters.... Still remember being bored senseless!
Saw the trailer for La la Land and knew I'd hate it. Same with The Greatest Showman, although DD and DGD raved about it!

Goodynanny Wed 26-May-21 11:23:57

Absolutely agree Grannygravy.

Bijou Wed 26-May-21 11:28:26

Most new versions of the classics. David Copperfield, Emma, Rebecca, Far from the Madding Crowd etc.

SueEH Wed 26-May-21 11:33:03

Oh I love La La Land - seen it many times! But in general I don’t watch many films as I find so many just really don’t live up to the hype. Think the greatest disappointment was The Greatest Showman. I really didn’t want to see it and was persuaded to go but did absolutely nothing for me. Whereas I would go to live theatre every day.. have so far seen Hamilton three times ?

Janetashbolt Wed 26-May-21 11:35:06

In the last 20 years only been to the cinema three times with my little grandson so liked all of them, seen some awful things on TV luckily I can switch off/walk out without feeling out of poacket. La La Land being prime example