Gransnet forums

Chat

Any films you have been to see that you were disappointed with?

(130 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 24-May-21 13:52:59

‘ The Revenant’ was one of these. Very boring.

grannyrebel7 Sat 01-Jan-22 18:47:47

Beauty & the Beast - too much singing and dancing for me.

Lucca Sat 01-Jan-22 18:30:25

The French Despatch. Load of baloney !! Left before the end.

Esmay Sat 01-Jan-22 18:07:33

The Kenneth Branagh version of Murder on the Orient Express .
I hated it at the cinema and it defeated me on TV .

Ailidh Thu 30-Dec-21 14:12:16

I think the Downton film was the most disappointing recently: lovely to see the characters again but the plot was so slight as to be utterly ridiculous, which made all of the characters' reactions to it just seem like clichés.

Kali2 Thu 30-Dec-21 14:10:59

Did you watch Shirley Valentine last night? Not seen it for so long, but it was, as usual, an absolute delight.

Hoping to go and see West Side Story next week.

gulligranny Thu 30-Dec-21 14:07:01

Hated:
The Greatest Showman (although I really like Hugh Jackman)
Little Women (Greta Gerwig version)
Lost in Translation
Lincoln
Lord of the Rings series, all those blooming battles!
Mulholland Drive - what was THAT all about?
Muriel's Wedding
Billy Elliott
The remake of Psycho - so awful it was funny

love0c Thu 30-Dec-21 07:45:52

I loved La La Land! The Greatest Showman another winner for me.

MayBee70 Wed 29-Dec-21 22:52:02

MayBee70

Hemelbelle

Another vote here for La La Land which I saw at the cinema; however when I was giving an account of the plot to a friend, it didn't seem so bad after all. Maybe it was the music that just didn't do it for me. However, the most disappointed and let down I have felt at the cinema was A Star is Born. I hadn't seen previous versions so had nothing to compare it to; but I don't think I have seen a more miserable film.

Got it on dvd. Gave up after half an hour. Don’t have any inclination to watch all of it!

It’s now on tv so trying to watch it again but think I’m going to give up….

nanna8 Sat 29-May-21 10:03:05

I liked the old Titanic film,I think it was called ‘A night to Remember’ . The modern version was cheesy. I didn’t hate it but it wasn’t a patch on the older one.

Treebee Fri 28-May-21 19:14:52

The Time Traveler’s Wife. The book is so much better.

Jaxie Fri 28-May-21 17:17:43

Porgie and Bess ( a long time ago).

Karen22 Thu 27-May-21 00:16:46

Dances With Wolves
Waterworld
and any rom com

Shinamae Wed 26-May-21 23:27:25

And I never got the Blair witch project either....

Shinamae Wed 26-May-21 23:26:58

The remakes of the “Poseidon adventure” and “The omen”not a patch on the originals..

Irismarle Wed 26-May-21 23:18:13

I think shows that work well when done live on stage are often a disappointment when filmed.

Two examples would be War Horse and Cats.

I agree books tend to make disappointing films because of the loss of detail, although there are exceptions like Rebecca.

Quantum of Solace was my most disappointing Bond film - I found it soooo boring.

HurdyGurdy Wed 26-May-21 19:06:09

I wondered if anyone else would mention The Blair Witch Project. What an utter let down.

I hated Dirty Dancing. Stupid storyline, not well acted. A real let down. I worked with a woman who extolled the virtues on a weekly basis, so when I saw the DVD for £3 in Asda, I thought I'd give it a go. She excitedly asked me what I thought, the following day. I don't think she spoke to me again, until she left, as I'd said I thought it was dire grin

tiredoldwoman Wed 26-May-21 17:50:00

My daughter dragged me to see The Blair Witch Project . I wanted to ask for my money back on the way out !

katy1950 Wed 26-May-21 16:47:28

La la land and mama Mia the second one very disappointing

Sweetpea60 Wed 26-May-21 16:38:00

Went and saw the last bond film spectre came away feeling very disappointed. Very slow and there was no charisma between daniel craig and the lead actress she looked like a sour puss for most of the film. Want to see the new bond film but not sure because shes in the new film.

starstella Wed 26-May-21 16:31:44

COULDN'T STAND TITANIC AND PEARL HARBOUR WAS THE SAME.

Blinko Wed 26-May-21 15:57:11

Another sleep inducing film, Lost in Translation. A middle aged almost somnambulant Bill Murray apparently imagining he has some kind of relationship with a woman twenty years his junior (Scarlett Johannsen, I think). Unlikely or what?

Chestnut Wed 26-May-21 15:28:34

Bridie22

Chestnut, the beach scenes in Atonement were filmed on my beach and we were allowed to watch, it was an amazing set.

Well they also added a lot of CGI afterwards, I'm sure. Haven't seen it for ages but I remember thinking how unreal it looked.

Subi Wed 26-May-21 15:16:38

La la land was boring, shape of water awful!

MayBee70 Wed 26-May-21 15:12:21

I’ll never forget the when the beach first appeared. That was a memorable cinema moment for me.

Bridie22 Wed 26-May-21 14:57:10

Chestnut, the beach scenes in Atonement were filmed on my beach and we were allowed to watch, it was an amazing set.