Gransnet forums

Chat

Thought I was losing the plot

(68 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Mon 24-May-21 15:52:22

Last year I remember ( or so I thought) buying a couple of clothing items for DGS from Next as part of his Christmas. Having (thyroid) foggy brain they were nowhere to be found when it came to wrapping up time. Had I bought them or did I just think I’d get them at another time I wondered. I was even in Next one day and was drawn to one of the same items.
To cut a long story short having a bit of a tidy up in the back bedroom I came across a carrier bag and yes you’ve guessed it there were the 2 tops I’d bought him?‍♂️ . Not sure if they will fit or if they do they won’t for long. I do have a gift receipt dated August 2020.
I feel so relieved that I wasn’t going mad thinking did I buy them or not. Is it just me or has anyone else done this?

Arty2 Wed 26-May-21 11:38:27

I moved home downsizing in November. I still cannot find a piece of jewellery I knew I had put safe!
I am still getting things to the charity after nigh on 6 months.
It will be worth it and I give myself another 6 months to have it sorted then just decorating to do as and when.

Alioop Wed 26-May-21 11:38:43

When I was out with the dog for a walk I stopped for chat with another lady who I have met on our doggy travels. I came away and realised I had been calling her Winnie, which is actually her dogs name.

sazz1 Wed 26-May-21 11:57:33

I hid 4 boxes of mince pies on the top shelf of the wardrobe and didn't find them until June. Had to wait for bin day to pop them in the bin while OH was at work to throw them away. He hates anything being wasted so it kept the peace. What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve for lolol

Harmonypuss Wed 26-May-21 11:57:49

Not a purchase story but whilst doing some decluttering last October I took my glasses off and put them down "somewhere", it's now May and I still can't find them. Give it another 5 months and I'll be due another eye test and new glasses, so I can almost guarantee that I'll find them at about that time ?

Ruby41 Wed 26-May-21 12:04:49

I really had to question my sanity yesterday. Every couple of days or so I put the laundry for washing in the laundry basket at the top of the stairs ready to take down, usually taking it down at the time. However, didn't take it down yesterday as was carrying something else (can't remember what, which tells you all you need to know I guess!). It was only later in the day that I remembered the laundry and wondered where in the washing cycle it was. Asked my DH if he could throw any light on my problem and his reply was: 'Oh yes, I saw it at the top of the stairs and thought you hadn't got time to put it away, so did so'. So had to retrieve all the unwashed stuff from the airing cupboard and put in w/machine - had a good laugh about it. Only amazed that he didn't suss it wasn't clean - obviously his sense of smell is inferior to mine!

readalot Wed 26-May-21 12:07:22

A few weeks ago I bought 3 series of spooks thinking I didn't have them. Me and my husband watched the full series so I put them away in the cupboard. I've just bought the full series of Endeavour and I was looking through the cupboard for a DVD case to put them in. Well I emptied the cupboard and right at the back was the three series of spooks that I had just bought. I don't remember buying them

Nicksmrs46 Wed 26-May-21 12:14:19

My most forgetful thing happen just after our 50th anniversary and my 70 birthday celebrations. Lots of gift vouchers given to us totalling over £300 …. You guessed it, I put all the cards into a large envelope for safe keeping so we knew where they were !!!! Still looking for them 5 years later ?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 26-May-21 12:48:33

I think we have all done this and personally it has more to do with being busy, or absent minded than with old age.

When I was about 35 I got tired of misplacing birthday presents or Christmas one that I had bought for others, so started keeping them all in a box in my wardrobe.

Now I keep them in my desk cupboard, but my point is, make sure you have a place for things you buy as presents and always go straight to that place when you come home from shopping and put the gifts into it.

Treetops05 Wed 26-May-21 13:00:27

Due to a live in job, we moved into a flat above the hotel we managed on Christmas Eve. I had made a very large Christmas pudding, as we were doing lunch for all the staff...You've guessed it, we couldn't find it, and in fact 30 years later still haven't. I keep meaning to go through the boxes that move from attic to attic but never have

Tibbs Wed 26-May-21 13:02:05

Took the trouble to take some shears to be sharpened to trim a bucks hedge. Collected them, brought them home- haven’t found them since!

Tibbs Wed 26-May-21 13:02:58

Buxus

Rosina Wed 26-May-21 13:05:58

I'm still looking for the beautiful and perfectly appropriate card that I bought for my dear aunt for her 90th birthday. She died five years ago - 'still haven't found it.

Marg75 Wed 26-May-21 13:11:35

My daughter bought me some wildflower seeds for Christmas in a little hessian bag. A week ago after searching the whole house, I found them under last year's calender in a drawer in the living room!

I have no idea how they got there!

Pammie1 Wed 26-May-21 13:13:52

I can testify to the fact that Covid definitely gives you brain fog. Since having Covid in February I have lost a set of keys, my purse and two debit cards, and I regularly have to use the ‘find my phone app’ to locate my mobile phone. I had to change my debit card PIN number because I couldn’t for the life of me remember it - not so extraordinary until you realise that I’ve used the same one for 20 odd years !! I’ve also left a shopping bag full of groceries at the checkout after paying, and had the customer services guy chase me down in the car park with it !!

Annsan Wed 26-May-21 13:14:45

I buy duplicates of books

Purplepoppies Wed 26-May-21 13:38:16

A few years ago when I had just one grandchild I found a huge bag of Xmas presents stashed in the back of my wardrobe....
Thankfully she's a January birthday ?

Janburry Wed 26-May-21 13:54:04

When l was a manager of a well known shoe shop a customer came in browsing the shoes, she picked a pair and brought them over to pay, l commented on her trendy bag, she was mortified when she realised she'd walked out of wilkos across to our shop with one of their baskets on her arm, luckily she hadn't put anything in it, as she couldn't face returning it l offered to pop it in out stock room assuring her l would find a use for it ?

Jess20 Wed 26-May-21 13:56:48

I put a load out to the charity shops and a few months later found I'd bought one of the dresses back from them.

Sara1954 Wed 26-May-21 13:59:50

Annsan
Yes, I do that.
A couple of weeks ago my granddaughter came proudly out of nursery with some sunflower seedlings she’d grown, oh how lovely, I said, we’ll pot them up at the weekend. Weekend arrived, can’t find them anywhere, how can you lose a tray of seedings?

MagicWriter2016 Wed 26-May-21 14:27:33

I love reading and often passed a good book on to my eldest daughter, who is also an avid reader. I also often by books from charity shops as they are so cheap.

Bought a book once, read it, passed it onto daughter and told her to put it to a charity shop once she had finished it. Few months later, bought another book from charity shop, read it, but kept thinking ‘am sure I have read this book before’. Finished it, gave it to daughter, got a text message some time later from daughter, ‘mum, where did you get that book from?’, ‘a charity shop’, I reply. After peals of laughter she informed me I had bought back the book she had put in the charity shop after I had given to her to read! I now put a small asterisk on the inside of every book I have read and on the outside of magazines I pass on!

I could organise my own game of hide and seek at times as I forget where I put stuff ?.

Grandson2008 Wed 26-May-21 14:27:34

Monday evening I went on roman website brill offer on 20 0/0 off so bought gorgeous dress free next day del. It arrived I'd already got it. Sent it back got same offer on a diff dress but couldn't believe it husband just rolled his eyes so guess we all make mistakes hey

nanna8 Wed 26-May-21 14:34:58

FannyCornforth

I once 'stole' a bag from Next. I was browsing for bags for my cousin's wedding, and it was one that I'd removed from the rail to get to another one.
I was walking around the shopping centre; looked down and realised that I was holding this horrible white handbag.

That same day I also accidentally said 'I love you' to a shoe shop assistant.
I'd just finished the payment transaction, and said to the poor girl:
'Thankyou. Bye. Love you' confused

The very next day I came down with swine flu; so my brain malfunction must have been caused by that.
I never did go to the wedding sad

I love that, Fanny. I just cracked up. Not about you being ill but the horrible white handbag. I got this dress and then I saw a lady in the same one and she was about 90 and just looked pretty awful. I sent mine to the op shop, put me right off.

hicaz46 Wed 26-May-21 14:43:40

We have just started a ‘put it somewhere safe’ box for little things we need to keep safe. We think we might adapt and label a whole drawer for such things. It might not work for big items but it should be OK for smaller things.

Jillybird Wed 26-May-21 15:20:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Minerva Wed 26-May-21 15:21:06

My daughter still hasn’t found my grandson’s Easter eggs. She says she must have given them to me to hide when they arrived with the supermarket delivery. She didn’t.