Gransnet forums

Chat

Thought I was losing the plot

(68 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Mon 24-May-21 15:52:22

Last year I remember ( or so I thought) buying a couple of clothing items for DGS from Next as part of his Christmas. Having (thyroid) foggy brain they were nowhere to be found when it came to wrapping up time. Had I bought them or did I just think I’d get them at another time I wondered. I was even in Next one day and was drawn to one of the same items.
To cut a long story short having a bit of a tidy up in the back bedroom I came across a carrier bag and yes you’ve guessed it there were the 2 tops I’d bought him?‍♂️ . Not sure if they will fit or if they do they won’t for long. I do have a gift receipt dated August 2020.
I feel so relieved that I wasn’t going mad thinking did I buy them or not. Is it just me or has anyone else done this?

Greciangirl Wed 26-May-21 15:37:53

Yes, the old memory playing tricks.

It happens to me a lot.

welbeck Wed 26-May-21 15:40:37

Nicksmrs46

My most forgetful thing happen just after our 50th anniversary and my 70 birthday celebrations. Lots of gift vouchers given to us totalling over £300 …. You guessed it, I put all the cards into a large envelope for safe keeping so we knew where they were !!!! Still looking for them 5 years later ?

that's why stores push gift vouchers.
the number that are never redeemed is surprisingly high.

Nanascats Wed 26-May-21 16:51:05

I have done all of the above but the weirdest thing was buying a 50th birthday card for my cousin in 1995 to take out to S. Africa, put it in a safe place and found his 40th card all ready there to be posted!! I took them both out and we had a wee laugh.

melp1 Wed 26-May-21 20:05:02

Still looking for a summer jacket I put away in winter and want to pack it to take on holiday on Sat, can't find it anywhere

annodomini Wed 26-May-21 20:55:22

Two years ago, I couldn't find my prescription sunglasses anywhere in the house or the car. I gave up and got another pair from Tesco which never seemed quite right. Then - last December, I was preparing my car for disposal (failed MoT very badly) and on the edge of one of the rear passenger windows I saw a glasses case; and in it there were my glasses. Where had they been hiding all that time? Possibly the mechanic who failed it had found them under a seat I'd already looked under! And my prescription hasn't changed in three years, so I hope for a sunny summer.

Margiknot Wed 26-May-21 21:25:56

I lose things all the time! I’m wearing a jumper because I can’t find the cardigan that would look much better. And I’ve just bought a second jersey top identical to the one it nearly joined in my T shirt drawer! I remembered admiring the print but have no memory of ordering the first edition of the top! My son has learning disability and is brilliant at sniffing out hidden presents so I’ve had to get innovative at concealing any gifts- but I often forget and come across things I’ve given up ever finding ever again!

Rosiebee Thu 27-May-21 08:42:10

Hoping that I will find the smoked salmon I distinctly remember buying as a treat the other day, before I start to smell it.?

Grandmadinosaur Thu 27-May-21 10:02:51

Oh Rosiebee I do hope so ??

misty34 Thu 27-May-21 23:16:24

At Christmas I usually bought small items of make up, perfume, jewellery etc for my daughter who still lived at home.
I would hide them around the house and forget all about them. She got many surprises around spring when I tidied and cleaned wardrobes, drawers etc.

Amberone Fri 28-May-21 00:36:54

I once 'stole' a bag from Next.

? I once 'stole' a basket of stuff from Superdrug. Basket on my arm, I was looking at various face creams and suddenly remembered seeing an offer in Boots for the same thing. So disappeared out of the door and was halfway to Boots before I realised I still had the Superdrug basket on my arm. I had visions of security men chasing after me through the shopping centre and ran all the way back to Superdrug in a cold sweat. I was so embarrassed I dumped the basket and left.

nanna8 Fri 28-May-21 03:03:14

When one of my kids was a baby in a pushchair we got out of the shop and I was putting her in the car when I noticed she had several pairs of socks she had taken from a low shelf. They were small ones and fitted her well and I just was too tired and harrassed to take them back to the shop.

Dogsmakemesmile Fri 28-May-21 09:08:21

About fifteen years ago I was unwell for several months. Short term memory shot to pieces and organisational skills completely askew. As we approached November I thought I must start buying Christmas presents for the children. Had vague memories that a couple of gifts in the attic. Hauled out ladder etc and stuck my head into the roof space. Three enormous bags of beautifully wrapped presents were sitting there. My mouth fell open. I believed in Father Christmas again. Just remembering that image makes me smile and my toes tingle. Scuttled down ladder and phoned my husband at work (those were the days). He gently told me I had started my Christmas shopping as usual in the summer and had wrapped and labelled everything. It all came back to me. Despite a rational answer I still feel the joy of believing something wonderful in a difficult time.

Dogsmakemesmile Fri 28-May-21 09:08:48

Of course he exists.

annodomini Fri 28-May-21 10:12:13

grin Dogsmakemesmile Thanks for that. I love your forum name. Me too!

Grandmadinosaur Fri 28-May-21 10:41:02

Dogsmakemesmile what a lovely story!

nanna8 a similar thing happened with my grandson. Luckily it was in a store in another part of the country. In Hotel Chocolat he had grabbed from a low shelf one of the tubs of Tiddlypot chocolate buttons. Didn’t realise till we were well outside down the shopping mall. Too much temptation for little children at that height I imagine ?

Magnolia62 Fri 28-May-21 10:55:58

I recently decided to try some quilting. Purchased quilting feet and looked at lots of online videos. I then realised I needed to use the extension tray for my machine which I have rarely used. I looked everywhere at least twice, sewing room, every drawer in the house, all the bedroom cupboards, the garage and both sheds. I became obsessed for a couple of days as I normally know where everything is and didn’t really want to purchase another for £95 which wouldn’t get a lot of use. In the end I bit the bullet and went to the machine shop to buy another tray. The lovely machine repairer asked how long I had had the machine. Five years I told him. He informed me that new machines now do not come with trays or hard box covers as standard. So relieved. I was thinking of my old machine. Happily ordered a new tray! I am not losing it, yet.

annodomini Fri 28-May-21 11:17:32

nanna8, my mother was looking after my toddler when I was very poorly with viral meningitis, so she took him in the buggy to Mothercare. As she was leaving the store, an assistant asked her, 'do you still want that jumper?' DS had fancied it and decided to take it with him! Needless to say, Mum paid for it. It didn't fit him for another two years!