Gransnet forums

Chat

What is the bravest thing you have ever done?

(217 Posts)
Sago Wed 02-Jun-21 07:11:27

It doesn’t have to be fighting off intruders whilst stirring a risotto or bungee jumping off the Shard just anything that took a lot of courage.

Jaxjacky Wed 02-Jun-21 10:52:48

Admitting I needed help and accepting it last year for debilitating anxiety.

Sara1954 Wed 02-Jun-21 11:10:21

I agree, I feel really flippant now.
Some of you are truly brave and amazing

libra10 Wed 02-Jun-21 11:18:21

One of the bravest things I've done was to return to education in my 40s.

I became motivated and gained 6 GCSEs, 4 A Levels, and gained a place at our local university.

I didn't take up the place though as a job was offered to me, and thought at that time that the money would be more useful.

Kate1949 Wed 02-Jun-21 11:19:30

Not flippant Sara just different life experience. I think my husband is brave too as he has (so far so good) overcome cancer and once donated his bone marrow to a stranger in another country after we lost our nephew to leukemia.

EllanVannin Wed 02-Jun-21 11:20:04

Outside of nursing, I suppose I've acted bravely at times, but you never lose that need to help someone. However I've never looked on myself as being brave.

Again, abroad, just one moment of " foolishness" really but I didn't think so at the time. On walking the miles through Singapore airport there was an old Chinese lady struggling with a long-handled string bag that was heavy, she was only little too.

I walked across to her and " signed " to her that I would carry her bag up to the customs area. She nodded and smiled and I took over. Dear me it was a weight ! I asked her if it was full of house-bricks, she just grinned as obviously there was no understanding and I struggled and sweated my way to the customs area-----and was stopped ! gringringrin

Told them I was doing the elderly lady a favour by carrying it for her, that it wasn't mine and did I look as though I was the type to carry something that would probably be balanced on my head. Customs were superb.

Next thing, the Chinese lady was taken into a room while I was ushered on my way and told never to carry anything for anyone else through an airport.
Needless to say I was laughing to myself and wondered what on earth was in that string back that felt like lead weights.

I would have said it felt more like a scene from a comedy film more than anything else.

I did save a stepGD from choking on a 2pence piece when she was little as it lodged at the back of her throat. The hardest part was keeping her calm. I gave her an almighty thump on her back between her ribs and out it shot.

Blossoming Wed 02-Jun-21 11:21:49

I have been called ‘brave’ for surviving and living with illness and disability. It isn’t brave, I had no choice in the matter.

Many of you are saying you’re scaredy cats. Feeling scared and doing it anyway is the very essence of bravery. Thank you for sharing your stories.

EllanVannin Wed 02-Jun-21 11:23:02

string-bag not back ( rolls eyes )

Juno56 Wed 02-Jun-21 11:23:17

Telling my then fiance that I couldn't marry him three weeks before our planned wedding day.

Sara1954 Wed 02-Jun-21 11:24:35

Thankyou Kate, but some of you are awesome, be proud.

JaneJudge Wed 02-Jun-21 11:33:29

I am going to be flippant. I feel like I am being VERY BRAVE atm as the poo lorry has turned up
bleurgh bleurgh
The smell in unbelievable. Who said it was a good idea to live in the country???

JaneJudge Wed 02-Jun-21 11:34:21

Luckily it only happens once a year but they don't even warn us so I don't have any dettol spray or similar to get rid of the smell in the house, urgh

BlueSky Wed 02-Jun-21 11:44:42

Similar to Tanith. Got myself a full time job before leaving my unreasonable first husband, as I knew I had to support myself. Then I rented a cheap flat, got a divorce and never looked back!

shysal Wed 02-Jun-21 11:51:47

I am another who divorced after a long unhappy marriage. I should have done it years before. Money is tight but I am happy.

Susan56 Wed 02-Jun-21 12:23:33

I have had to be brave at times dealing with things in my/our personal life as I am sure many have.

The thing I still can’t believe I did many years ago was to go on the Olympic bobsleigh run in Innsbruck.I was absolutely terrified but once at the start the only way was down.There was an ex Olympian driving and an ex Olympic brake man.All I can remember of the actual run is the speed and the noise of the sleigh on the ice.The adrenaline rush and exhilaration at the end though, I could have done it again!

grannyactivist Wed 02-Jun-21 13:04:13

What’s brave to one person is not necessarily so to another. My friends thought I was incredibly stupid brave when I met a backpacking Aussie in the street and gave him a bed for the night, but actually I’m so experienced in putting up waifs and strays that I believed (correctly) the risks were extremely low.

And to anyone who feels like being flippant on this thread - please go right ahead - I’m sure all experiences and comments are equally valid. smile

JaneJudge Wed 02-Jun-21 13:16:09

I always feel brave when I have driven a good distance in the car and negotiated motorways etc, especially the M25. I suppose that is normal to some people smile

Esspee Wed 02-Jun-21 13:21:56

Posted a thread about the queen’s jubilee celebrations?

Just clicked send and am expecting heavy fire so am off out.

?

Sago Wed 02-Jun-21 13:35:31

You are all amazing!
Keep them coming.

Aldom Wed 02-Jun-21 13:38:50

In March 1993 as I was returning to my car I had to pass an upmarket jewellers. As I drew level with the entrance to the shop three men ran out. The men were dressed in black, wearing balaclavas with slits for eyes etc. and carrying baseball bats. Each carried a bag. Two of them jumped into the getaway car, which was parked to my right. The third man stopped and stood at arms length from me. For what felt like eternity we stared into each other's eyes. I wondered if he would use the bat on me. Suddenly he made his decision and jumped into the getaway vehicle, which sped off as I went to the nearby telephone box to ring 999. It was about an hour later when I turned chalk white and began to shake. The jeweller's shop staff had been forced to lie on the floor while the robbers' smashed display cases and stole Rolex watches and valuable jewelry.
Five years ago I gave CPR to a friend who had a cardiac arrest.
The bravest thing I have done is to put one foot in front of the other for almost three years since the tragic death of my beloved son.

Kate1949 Wed 02-Jun-21 14:05:27

Aldom flowers I'm not sure some of mine are brave. How do you define brave? Apart from the above, I survived an abusive, violent childhood, relentless bullying at school because of my teeth loss. Sitting by my nephew's bedside as he died of leukemia, my brother's suicide. Is it brave? I had no choice in any of it. As Aldom says, it's just a question of putting one foot in front of the other.

Rufus2 Wed 02-Jun-21 14:14:40

And to anyone who feels like being flippant on this thread - please go right ahead

Signing on for Gransnet! grin

sharon103 Wed 02-Jun-21 14:20:37

Not brave but proud (if that's the right word) of myself. I was called to a relative's suicide. I called the police, identified him and stayed with him while the police did their jobs right until he was taken away by the undertakers.
The worst night of my life.

sharon103 Wed 02-Jun-21 14:23:34

Kate49
I feel for you I really do.
Lots of love and hope the future holds happier times. flowers

Kate1949 Wed 02-Jun-21 14:38:24

Thank you sharon Apologies for turning the thread into a misery fest.

Namsnanny Wed 02-Jun-21 14:39:09

Back packed across USA on my own.
I'd never even been in a pub by myself before, let alone on a plane.

I worried Terribly about my son when he did the same!