Gransnet forums

Chat

What is the bravest thing you have ever done?

(217 Posts)
Sago Wed 02-Jun-21 07:11:27

It doesn’t have to be fighting off intruders whilst stirring a risotto or bungee jumping off the Shard just anything that took a lot of courage.

llizzie2 Sun 04-Jul-21 00:42:50

I missed this last month. I have thought about it and think perhaps the - looking back - bravest thing was driving the minibus with kids through a fire in the road when in a heat wave the verge caught light and spread to the tarmac.

Stopping was not an option.

Aldom Thu 10-Jun-21 16:42:01

Gingster Thank you ?

Gingster Wed 09-Jun-21 20:33:47

Feeling silly and foolish now. Such brave people here and I have the utmost respect for you all.
Losing a child and carrying on day after day has to be the pinnacle of bravery, . Love to you all ?

Aldom Mon 07-Jun-21 19:08:58

Going to the mortuary to identify my son's body.
Six months later towards the end of the inquest the Coroner asked if anyone would like to speak. From somewhere I found the courage and spoke at length about my wonderful talented, caring and greatly loved son. I am so glad I was able to do this last thing for him. Tomorrow it will be three years since his sudden, tragic death.

grannyrebel7 Mon 07-Jun-21 18:36:37

I went to USA on my own, with a change of flights at Dusseldorf, to meet DH who had been on a hiking trip over there.

EkwaNimitee Mon 07-Jun-21 17:53:40

Trivial compared with many previous stories…. I walked out onto the glass floor of the Toronto Tower, about 340 metres above ground. Only after my DH encouraged me by holding my hand and leading me with my eyes closed. The brave bit was opening them and looking down. I was fine with it!
It took no courage at all in later years to have his life support turned off and to attend his funeral. Too numb I guess.

V3ra Mon 07-Jun-21 16:22:54

So many humbling stories from so many people.
It's been an honour to read these posts, thank you all for sharing.

Kate1949 Mon 07-Jun-21 15:41:40

Belinda That's heartbreaking.
You're very kind Rosina. Unfortunately it leaves you with a mistrust of life, waiting for the next bad thing.
I think everyone who has posted on this thread is extremely brave for simply getting out of bed in the morning. flowers

Rosina Mon 07-Jun-21 14:39:14

Kate1949 I hope that life never holds such sadness for you again. I think you are right - some families seem to get their share and that of others too. The phrase 'into every life a little rain must fall' is true, but some get a little rain and some get a deluge. I wish you well for the future. x

Mollygo Mon 07-Jun-21 14:15:11

Deepest sympathy BelindaB. So many losses.?

Luckygirl Mon 07-Jun-21 13:58:16

Brave indeed BelindaB. I am so sorry that your life has been plagued by these terrible losses. flowers

BelindaB Mon 07-Jun-21 13:44:47

I doubt if anyone will see this as it has been several days since the original thread was started.

The bravest thing I ever did was go to my daughters funeral. I had 2 daughters - the first one died at 5 weeks and although the funeral was difficult, I got through it.

I had another daughter the year after and found her dead in her cot at 2.5 months. Both died of cot death, by the way. That's the funeral that I almost didn't go to. I just could not bear the pain. I did go, in the end, but when I lost my youngest son in 2018, I just could not go to his funeral.

The only way I've coped with the loss is by telling myself that he's still here and just dreadful about getting in touch.

So far it's worked.

Elizabeth1 Sat 05-Jun-21 08:37:55

I jumped into a fish pond at a fish farm without thinking when my small nephew accidentally slipped in and started to submerge, it was after he had been pushed/hauled out that I started scrambling up the bank only to feel the fish nibbling at my legs. I shifted myself speedily up and out, terrified at what I had done. Silly me but I did and in the end I saved him from drowning and saved myself from being eaten up by the hundreds of fish shockwho thought their next meal was freely available perhaps this post isn’t what was asked for but hey ho who really cares. wink

Luckygirl Sat 05-Jun-21 08:26:45

Talk down an irate Traveller lad with a shotgun in the confines of a tiny caravan!

seasider Sat 05-Jun-21 07:56:32

@Dawnywarl your post made me cry . So sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy x

amymorris01 Sat 05-Jun-21 05:54:12

Saying goodbye to my darling daughter who died of cancer aged 24.

Dippygran Sat 05-Jun-21 02:42:22

My oldest daughter asked me to walk her down the aisle at her wedding, even though I was overjoyed...nerves got the better of me on the day so we asked my brother to step in. Everything went perfectly till the speeches then my brother lost HIS nerve so I had to step in...and amazingly it went smoothly, I even managed to crack a few jokes which actually got a few laughs lol.
(

Pearlsaminger Sat 05-Jun-21 01:39:14

Carolpaint

Pearlsaminger fabulous, well done, good on you. Xxx

Thank you.. a night to remember! ?

Pearlsaminger Sat 05-Jun-21 01:34:17

halfpint1

Pearlsaminger

Just in awe of your story , so well written, I was on the edge
of my seat reading it!

I do love to write, but more importantly I love to feel like a defiant little moo who’s heart says ‘Don’t do it’ but who’s head says ‘Dare you!’ grin

Was scary, but we sit and laugh about it now. My daughters still got the hump as I didn’t invite her along.

Jules59 Fri 04-Jun-21 21:38:52

Rosethorn, that is so sad and so cruel that you were treated that way. Appalling. Sending you a hug flowers

MaxiBialystock Fri 04-Jun-21 21:30:40

Telling our 11 year old son that his daddy had died and dealing with the repercussions which have haunted him for 20 years.
Starting an English degree at the age of 61 during the pandemic with all the classes online.

Silvertwigs Fri 04-Jun-21 19:37:58

Leaving my abusive schoolchildren and drug addicted husband.

Izabella Fri 04-Jun-21 16:19:29

Knowing my balance and spatial awareness. were declining due to Alzheimer’s I managed this

Floradora9 Fri 04-Jun-21 16:13:48

Gwenisgreat1

Having my cataract operations with local anaethetics?

Did you even get a premed ? I got nothing .

NanaPlenty Fri 04-Jun-21 15:43:34

Nothing in comparison to some of you brave ladies but I had my knee replacement done under local anaesthetic ! I know this would have scare a lot of people but I’m quite terrified of being knocked out so for me it was the better option.