Gransnet forums

Chat

4 day weekend

(41 Posts)
Esspee Wed 02-Jun-21 13:19:34

Apparently there is going to be a 4 day weekend next summer to mark the Queen’s platinum jubilee with street parties etc.

I can’t help feeling nobody give a stuff. Certainly not here in Scotland.

I respect her but hope she is the last to rein over us in this neck of the woods.

What do you think?

CanadianGran Fri 04-Jun-21 18:02:52

I think plans to celebrate her 70 years of service will be a good thing. We all know how a royal wedding lifts spirits and brings people together; I think she is befitting of a celebration.

I have not heard of any other plans throughout the Commonwealth, but I suspect there will be.

Anyone not interested in celebrating can use their extra holiday to have a long weekend away from media. Tourism increases, etc.

Aveline Fri 04-Jun-21 17:46:55

Ah so you have to be woke to be a fuddy duddy?

M0nica Fri 04-Jun-21 15:51:37

Aveline supporting the Queen does not make you a fuddy duddy, I limit those words for those forward looking 'woke' peopleeager to accept every change anyone suggests, but keep harping on about a monarchy that ceased to exist ages ago, because accepting that that has changed as well would be inconvenient.

Grany Fri 04-Jun-21 13:54:59

Surely it's now more than time that the monarchy ended its exemptions from from anti-discrimination legislation.

Callistemon Thu 03-Jun-21 16:28:53

The royals do little for Britain, yet they demand a lot.

The Royal Family do so much for Britain but demand far less than a President would.

And - please don't mention Ireland as an example again!!
grin

GrannyGravy13 Thu 03-Jun-21 16:24:10

One of the Queens current equerries is Ghanaian.

Aveline Thu 03-Jun-21 15:43:56

Key words in Guardian article -'used to'. This was discontinued in the late 1960s. So fifty years ago that staffing issue was addressed. Another of the demands for retrospective apology leapt on avidly by republicans.
As a fully paid up fuddy duddy I'll certainly be attending our garden party and wishing the Queen well.

Callistemon Thu 03-Jun-21 12:29:00

It is amazing M0nica, very notceabler po n threads

sorry, typos, I was tuygging my forelock at the same time

M0nica Thu 03-Jun-21 12:02:13

I am amazed how many forward looking people are stuck in the mud of still seeing the monarchy in such a feudal way. Marriage has adapted to the times, as has child rearing relationsips between people and origins and colour,everything has changed, yet mention the monarchy and all the people who are so forward thinking, so generous and welcoming to all, suddenly burrow back into history to a concept of monarchy that disappeared hundreds of years ago and suddenly become mean-spirited, fuddy duddy and, dare I say it, unpleasant. Fascinating.

Grany Thu 03-Jun-21 10:31:46

Campaigners have called for a serious, honest debate about the future of the monarchy, in response to government plans for multi-million pound celebrations of the Queen's jubilee.

Speaking for Republic, Graham Smith said today:

"The royals do little for Britain, yet they demand a lot. As we put the Covid crisis behind us next year, national celebrations should be centred on the ordinary people who make this country great."

"Seventy years in public office is not something to celebrate. It's not an achievement and it's not a good thing for Britain."

"We are now coming to the end of the Queen's reign, and we need to start having a serious debate about ending the monarchy altogether."

"In a democracy voters should be choosing their head of state, not behaving like spectators, watching the job pass from mother to son."

"The monarchy is wrong in principle, wasteful and secretive in practice and bad for British politics. Seventy years of one head of state should prompt serious debate, not state-sponsored celebrations."

Grany Thu 03-Jun-21 10:15:18

Revelations in today's Guardian that the household used to ban black and Asian immigrants from staff appointments.

The palace also successfully lobbied to be exempted from race laws that ban discrimination in the workplace.

"So much for the royal family promoting race relations and strong links across the Commonwealth."

"These documents show the Queen had specifically lobbied for an exemption and was willing to withhold consent for the law to pass if it wasn't granted."*

"And the law needs to be changed as soon as possible, to give palace staff the same protections as everyone else."

Three months on from Meghan’s claim of racism, we learn that the Queen has been exempt from race and sex discrimination laws.. The diversity tsar the royals plan to appoint will be busy:

Campaign group Republic has called on the Queen to issue a full apology for the Royal Household's failures on race over the past seven decades.

ElaineI Wed 02-Jun-21 18:37:51

We were thinking about a street party next year anyway hopefully when we are free from covid. Who is going to pay for the 4 days though if it means teachers, NHS, police, if everyone gets the 2 additional public holidays?

PinkCakes Wed 02-Jun-21 17:18:16

It's a year away, and as we know, a lot can happen in a year - the queen is 95 already, so she may not be here in a year's time (not being nasty, just realistic)

Let's get through this year, eh....

Callistemon Wed 02-Jun-21 16:44:34

And off we go again smile

No-one is forced to join in.
People could work if they don't want the time off, or alternatively, volunteer in a food bank to give a break to those hardworking volunteers who want some time off.

????

sodapop Wed 02-Jun-21 16:38:41

And off we go again smile

I think it's a great idea and have a lot of respect for the Queen. Good for communities to get together again and sod all the nay sayers.

Namsnanny Wed 02-Jun-21 16:30:06

Eespee I dont give a stuff Well I think perhaps you do.

Blossoming Wed 02-Jun-21 16:22:40

I think the vast majority of UK citizens will be in favour, but my view is my own and I’m not speaking for anybody else. I’m a republican but I think it will do most people good to come together as ‘one nation’ under any banner! Especially after the alienation of lockdown. I’m looking forward to some community events. I hope she’s our last monarch though, I have zero respect for Charles.

I’ve probably annoyed both sides now but there you go.

Sara1954 Wed 02-Jun-21 16:21:02

Count me in.
We will be celebrating, all our family love the Queen,

Scribbles Wed 02-Jun-21 15:39:51

Why on earth would I want to "celebrate" the perpetuation of feudal, forelock-tugging flummery?

I, for one, do not see myself as one of her people. What arrogance, to regard one's fellow citizens as subjects and as "hers"! Generations of monarchs and their relations have become exceedingly wealthy and led hugely privileged lives at the expense of others who, for reasons I have never understood, stand back and smile because it's traditional.

Parades and street parties? Please, include me out.

threexnanny Wed 02-Jun-21 15:21:06

I think there are more people who have respect for the Queen than those who don't in the UK. Unfortunately not true of all members of her family. I sincerely hope she does make it to the next jubilee as it is a historic occasion which has nothing to do with her wealth or whether you are pro royals or not.

Mattsmum2 Wed 02-Jun-21 15:19:13

Considering the times we’ve recently had, it’s got to be a good thing for our nation and for the income it brings in. Evidently the monarchy costs each of us 1p per person per day and generate billions of revenue, think that’s good value fir money.
Anything that brings people together is a good thing.

Pittcity Wed 02-Jun-21 15:19:07

Mixed feelings here as it'll be the weekend of DSs 21st birthday and he'll probably have to work as he's in the military and on ceremonial standby at present.
On the other hand we'll be watching as proud parents or enjoying our neighbourhood celebrations.

wildswan16 Wed 02-Jun-21 15:11:36

Esspee

Apparently there is going to be a 4 day weekend next summer to mark the Queen’s platinum jubilee with street parties etc.

I can’t help feeling nobody give a stuff. Certainly not here in Scotland.

I respect her but hope she is the last to rein over us in this neck of the woods.

What do you think?

I've just been talking about this with about 10 - 12 other people, all Scottish and living in Scotland.

We all thought it was a lovely idea and hopefully people will think of lasting ways to celebrate the long weekend to honour her service.

There are lots of people who have a great respect for Her Majesty and the monarchy in Scotland so please don't try to tell us differently.

NanKate Wed 02-Jun-21 14:19:36

How lovely a 4 day celebration for our wonderful Queen who has kept her promise and devoted herself to her people.

I give to food banks weekly and I’m more than happy to give extra so that everyone can join in the celebrations. I shall put a note in my 2022 diary to do so.

???????

Grandma70s Wed 02-Jun-21 14:18:11

Oh Grany, give it a rest, will you? We know your views.

I can’t help thinking that planning a year ahead for a 95-year-old is perhaps a little .....risky? Optimistic?