Gransnet forums

Chat

Children’s upbringing - do you have regrets?

(119 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 03-Jun-21 01:31:29

I love my parents-in-law very much; they are kind, compassionate and exceedingly modest and self-effacing about their own achievements. Tonight at dinner they mentioned the recent programme on Keir Starmer and said they were disturbed to learn how his father rarely praised him and the negative impact it had on him, and said it had started a train of thought that led them to recognise that perhaps they had done the same. They then asked my husband outright if they had praised him enough when he was a child as they’d spent a couple of nights worrying about it. They also told him they love him very much and they’re very proud of him. It was a very poignant moment and in some ways rather sad as their distress was quite apparent.

Our own children say they had a lovely childhood, and they are certainly re-creating something similar with their own children. They know, absolutely, that they’re loved - and they’ve all, individually, had to deal with traumatic life events and know we’re immensely proud of the way they’ve supported each other in those difficult times. And yet... I can’t help wondering what particular regrets we might have when we look back in years to come.

Are such regrets inevitable do you think?

Shandy57 Thu 03-Jun-21 09:46:29

I had my kids late at 37 and 39, and did get very tired and grumpy. I remember being furious when I was cooking with my daughter and she cracked the egg all over the table and floor, I lost patience sad When I volunteered in reception years and years later, we did 'cooking' and I vowed to be a lot more patient with my grandchildren. It's a steep learning curve.

timetogo2016 Thu 03-Jun-21 09:48:27

I could have written the same Kim19.
I was always praised by my parents and told off when i needed to be.
And my love for them has never wained,sadly they are both gone.

Party4 Thu 03-Jun-21 09:53:11

We were young parents and I know must have made many mistakes.Everything was a financial struggle but to be honest the DC were spoilt by family and we didn't instill enough about savings and appreciation of their possessions.As young children were given every opportunity to follow sports and hobbies and very successful in their achievements with promising futures BUT once into teenage yrs rebelled and did own thing.Poor exam results leading to low paid jobs and in later yrs when friends returned from Uni with gap yrs and well paid jobs brought it home what they could have achieved.They have had more debt than any student loan.I can say hand on heart they have made fantastic Dads but still I feel some sort of responsibility for their failings.

Greyduster Thu 03-Jun-21 09:53:38

I have said to my son on a few occasions that I think I was unnecessarily hard on him when he was growing up. He says it didn’t do him any harm and he probably deserved it, but he never had a lot of confidence and I feel that I am to blame for that. To add insult to his injury, as a service family, it was necessary to send him away to school and while he’s always said he enjoyed it, I know that he missed being part of the family for so long. I wish I had that time over again.

Juliet27 Thu 03-Jun-21 09:55:58

I think if I’d been happier in my marriage I’d have been a better mum to my two lovely children.

dragonfly46 Thu 03-Jun-21 10:00:22

I am sure we can all look back and realise we could have handled certain situations better. My eldest was the difficult one and I felt I never got it quite right as I didn't really understand how she felt.
We are now very close and we have talked things through.
She has no children of her own and says she doesn't want them.

We have just spent the weekend with our DS who spent a long time telling us what admiration he has for us now that he has children of his own. He told us what wonderful parents we were.
I am not sure we always were but it is nice to be appreciated.

henetha Thu 03-Jun-21 10:02:27

I think possibly I was a bit too strict at times. But they have both grown up to be very decent hard-working people.
Parents learn as they go along, it's not an easy job. I don't think we should be too hard on ourselves.

Lucca Thu 03-Jun-21 10:07:32

My mother didn’t do praise . She also commented on physical defects eg my legs were too fat to wear shorts . I still have issues about being too fat when friends tell me I am slim.
She played all of us against each other. I have to finally admit I neither liked nor loved her.
My dad was lovely,
I think I was too bad tempered as a mother but both sons have nothing but praise for their upbringing. DS1. Was a bit of nightmare teenager but is delightful now.

I didn’t watch the programme but what is wrong with keir starter saying his father didn’t praise or encourage him?

Lucca Thu 03-Jun-21 10:08:10

Juliet27

I think if I’d been happier in my marriage I’d have been a better mum to my two lovely children.

Oh this yes I can relate to !

grannyactivist Thu 03-Jun-21 10:10:13

All my children are now parents themselves and are slowly reflecting on and revising their understanding of their own childhoods. One of my children has a child who behaves very much like she did at the same age and she now commends me for my patience with her! ?

Doodledog Thu 03-Jun-21 10:16:52

*We seem to be inundated with people digging up old grievances and airing them in public.

The petulant Harry of course springs to mind, and now it appears Starmer is at it too!*
He didn't at all! His love for his father shone through, and he answered a direct question about their relationship (what else was he supposed to do?). What he said was that his father had been unable to voice his pride in his son, because of his own upbringing, and that he was trying to ensure that he did not do the same with his own children.

Anyway. As regards my own children, yes, there are things I wish I had done differently, and some things that I regret. I think the 'I did everything for the best' argument is a bit difficult. My own mother says this to excuse the fact that my sister and I had very difficult childhoods, and I'm afraid it makes me feel worse. If she really thought that some of the things she did were for the best, it compounds the pain that I still feel about them.

When I think back to myself as a mother, I think, as humans, we have times when we are tired, crabby, ill, preoccupied, all sorts of things, and at times we really can't be bothered to deal patiently with the constant demands of young children, or the trying nature of teenagers. We also just Get Things Wrong. I know that I loved them, and that we had a lot of good times. I also know that I wasn't perfect - I don't know a parent who was.

As others have said of theirs, my children have grown up into lovely caring adults, and both have (separately) said that they were brought up to be non-racist, to see people as equal, to pull their weight in all things, so whatever I did wrong, it's good to know that I have also done some things right.

hazel93 Thu 03-Jun-21 10:30:09

A perfect parent - none of us are. A good enough parent is all we can hope for IMO !
We all make mistakes along the way but I see no point in regrets.
DS and I have a great relationship as I do with DIL and DGD. That said, once he has a sherry or two he will remind me of the times I was a pain in the ass !

Redhead56 Thu 03-Jun-21 10:55:42

I do regret my children witnessing my estranged husbands behaviour over twenty eight years ago. They had limited weekly time with him he usually took them out.
My son was older so witnessed more and but kept things from me. He didn’t want to cause trouble but he did pluck up the courage and tell me his father was drinking and driving.
I stopped his contact all together through family court after a long struggle. They erased their biological father from their lives. I remarried and when they turned 18 they changed their surname to my husbands. They consider my husband is the only dad they have ever had and I know we are appreciated.

EllanVannin Thu 03-Jun-21 11:00:20

You don't get a manual along with upbringing children. Most of the time it's carried out by example of how you were brought up.
Both my parents tended to have some past Victorian values which obviously at the time I wouldn't have recognised being young. Both were strict, so I was too when I had a family, but not wholly so as my parents had been.

Manners/ respect counted for a lot. Interaction with the children is important too and as a family with 4 children, doing things together mattered, whether it was playing games ( educational, of course smile ) or going for walks.

Love in my day was having a full tum. clean clothes at all times and a nice clean bed. There was no hugging etc, praises went to my brother but it didn't appear to bother me, realising now that he was the most lovable out of the two of us as my interest were more in the line of eating and playing out----a more serious subject too rather than any fuss displayed.

When my first GD was born nearly 36 years ago I was obviously delighted and I gave her far more leeway than I or her mother and siblings had----but it didn't pay off sadly. This is the one who lost her partner last year and she's gone totally off the rails like an entitled spoilt brat.

I can only show patience for so long, though I blame myself to a degree but I never thought she'd end up the way she has----just like all the other slobs. I'm past being heartbroken, it's now turned to anger.

All children are different and a firm hand is needed in some children who you feel could take advantage of any kindness and love towards them as it gets thrown back in your face.
GD was very wilful as a child and did what she wanted to do and as a 4/5 year old at the time, I'd allowed her to be naughty. Thinking back she should have had what I got as a child----slapped legs.
Would it have made a difference ? I don't know.

I would hazard a guess that she now has a personality disorder mixing with the dross of society who at one time she used to condemn. She has managed to turn all our lives upside down. The thanks you get for sparing the rod and spoiling the child !

M0nica Thu 03-Jun-21 11:17:58

The majority of parent starts witt the best intentions and usually get it wrong at sometime or another and, to be honest, I see no point in worrying about it after the event as there is nothing you can do about it.

As adults we can just hope that whatever our failings, our children still love us. My children, both now heading for 50, still seem to enjoy our company, DD suggested a weekend away together as the perfect birthday present and the first thing DS and family did, when lockdown ended and half term arrived was to spend the whole of the half term week with us. So as far as I am concerned it is mission accomplished.

Mind you, we have been fortunate, no marital breakdowns, family catastrophes and other events that no one can foresee, but which can sandbag the best of families, without warning.

Jaxjacky Thu 03-Jun-21 11:18:23

Yes, I made mistakes, but when we’ve talked about it my two see things differently from me and say they were perfectly happy. So, maybe it’s me looking back with experience gained since, as long as they’re happy, I’m happy and that will never change.

annodomini Thu 03-Jun-21 11:43:07

They got into scrapes and sometimes fell short of my expectations, but they always knew they were supported and loved, and always supportive of me in the bad times - and, in middle age, they still are. Like all parents, I made mistakes, but these are in the past and as things are at present, I can say that my children are also my friends.

Chardy Thu 03-Jun-21 11:55:08

Perhaps another way of looking at this is to focus on them now, and ask if they are good people (whatever that means)?

Newatthis Thu 03-Jun-21 12:33:19

I think we all will have regrets and none of us are perfect nor are our children. I think I was a little strict at times and a bit of a perfectionist. In saying this, I have two lovely DC"s, who, although they are married and have their own lives they still phone us numerous times a week and always want to involve us in their lives. I feel that I must have done something right!

nanna8 Thu 03-Jun-21 13:13:25

Oh, witzend, that strikes a chord! Our children’s bedrooms were so foul I told them I was no longer entering them and they could clean up their own stuff. This was when they were in their teens. Funny thing is, they are all really neat and tidy now but revenge is sweet, their children are not hehehe.

SueDonim Thu 03-Jun-21 14:10:55

I wish I had had the knowledge of child rearing that is available to modern parents, techniques for understanding why one’s child was acting in a certain way, how to defuse situations and so on. I think it’s a huge step forward for children-rearing instead of having to use trial-and-error or simply just being bemused or feeling unable to cope with whatever is going on, with nowhere to turn.

My four seem to have fond memories of their childhoods and want similar for their own children, plus we get on well with all our children-in-law so maybe we’ve done something right.

Who would want a perfect parent anyway? What an ideal to have to live up to!

jaylucy Fri 04-Jun-21 11:12:30

None of us are perfect and we have often followed a course lead by either professional advice from health visitors etc, what is fashionable at the time, friend's experiences and our own.
I also can't remember ever being praised by my mother but as others have said, it was believed at the time that it made you big headed! In fact, I really think that I was a bit of a disappointment to her compared to my brothers!
I hope that I have done my best with my son. But I think that there are very few parents that are really perfect , we can only do what we believe is right at the time.

Moggycuddler Fri 04-Jun-21 11:13:03

I think every parent will wish they hadn't done/said certain things or handled certain situations differently, specially when we are much older and wiser. I have discovered that it's surprising what tiny events and conversations adult children can remember from when they were quite young. But - my 36 year old daughter still lives at home with us and we are best friends. So, thankfully, I don't think I (we) did too bad a job.

inishowen Fri 04-Jun-21 11:14:18

My parents were lovely people but they never gave any praise. I think they believed that children had to keep striving and they wouldn't if they were praised! They never gave hugs or said they loved me either. I brought my children up the exact opposite.

icanhandthemback Fri 04-Jun-21 11:15:12

I have so many regrets about the way I brought up my daughter as it has brought about lasting damage. In my defence, my parenting skills were completely lacking as they were learned from my own childhood. Unfortunately, by the time I realised, the damage was done. Not a day goes by when I don't think about how I could have made things so much better.
Although I sometimes wish I'd had by children closer together, the one thing that has assisted my boys is that by the time they came along, I was starting to deal with my own emotional chaos so their upbringing was more balanced and as such, by comparison, I have fewer regrets.