Gransnet forums

Chat

Should Ollie Robinson be dropped from next cricket series??

(58 Posts)
25Avalon Fri 04-Jun-21 08:45:17

Nine years ago when he was 18 and incredibly foolish Ollie Robinson made serious racist and sexist tweets. This has now been unearthed and he has been reduced from cricket hero to villain. He has apologised profusely but ECC seem to want to make an example of him and are holding a disciplinary meeting, after which he is likely to be dropped for at least one game if not the whole series. This seems rather harsh. Does it mean there is no hope for reformation and rehabilitation now he is older and wiser or is it just getting his just desserts in these pc times?

timetogo2016 Fri 04-Jun-21 08:49:11

At the age of 18 you can make stupid mistakes,he has apologosed and that should be the end of it.
He didn`t kill anyone or sexualy or physically abuse anyone,let it go for heavens sake.

Lin52 Fri 04-Jun-21 08:55:46

Let all be punished for past failings, seems to be the mantra of today. People punished by social media judge, jury and executioners have cost many people their jobs, when diversity and inclusion training would be more appropriate.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 04-Jun-21 09:19:07

I dread to think where we would be if all folks were suddenly punished for their stupidness / naivety at 18?

Smileless2012 Fri 04-Jun-21 09:21:01

He's apologised and it should be left at that.

Urmstongran Fri 04-Jun-21 09:52:46

No. He has apologised profusely. He was a teenager at the time of his silly tweets. Silly boy.

Good enough.
Move on.

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Jun-21 09:55:56

Eight years ago would you think people should be using the "N" word? Was it acceptable to use derogatory terms for Asian people or to draw emojis with "slit eyes" and actually use the #racist ... I think no 18 year old I can think of would do this.

So, if he has seen this now for what it is and is truly sorry, maybe give him a formal warning and/or a short suspension. Maybe he should put some free time in with underprivileged youth groups?
18 is still an adult.
To use that racist # he new what he was doing. Making so called jokes about Muslim bombs and about women (implying things about them and their sex lives) is not good either.

Don't let's just wave this away.
These words essentially came from this man.
I hope he is a better person now.

I would be ashamed if this was my son.

kittylester Fri 04-Jun-21 10:11:03

I agree gg.

Of course he should play again.

theworriedwell Fri 04-Jun-21 10:16:11

I'm not sure what should happen to him but I do think it highlights that we need to teach children about the dangers of putting things online as they are there forever.

I am forever drumming this into my lovely but know it all GS, he's 16 and thinks he knows it all but he still has some growing up to do which is normal but in the past people would have long forgotten some stupid comments from a teenager but now it will follow them for life.

MawBe Fri 04-Jun-21 10:43:39

He is a cricketer, not a politician. And when a young man is 18 he says all sorts of things that would appal his older self. I think we can all empathise, look back and thank god there was no FaceBook or Twitter!
Formerly, a teenager would have sounded off with his friends – it’s what pubs are for. Now, they no sooner feel an opinion coming on than they take to tweets, which don’t disappear into the ether, as Ollie Robinson thought.

Jabberwok Fri 04-Jun-21 11:08:58

No of course he shouldn't be punished for comments made years ago aged 18. He's apologised profusely, what else can he do? He can't put the clock back, he can't unsay what he would now be appalled at saying, so why behave as if this was a recent event? Apologise is all he can do, and he's done that several times, so what else can he do as for some, he is clearly beyond redemption. Most of us have done or said things in our youth that we would now not be proud of but most of us can redeem ourselves, but in this case clearly not!

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Jun-21 11:14:27

Of course you are right worriedwell about teaching our children about the internet - but we should primarily be teaching them to be open to difference, to be inclusive, to not define people by one thing about them and not to tolerate abuse of others - I'm sure there's more, but you get the idea.

It's important that people realise that "slagging" women for being women, calling people "N******" etc is not just a "stupid comment" from a "silly boy" but speaks to the person he was - and reflects on the society we are.

GillT57 Fri 04-Jun-21 11:39:31

Most of us have said or done things which we are now embarassed about or even ashamed of, but the vile language he used was only a few years back, not some mythical time before most intelligent people knew that it wasn't acceptable to use such language. However, given the past behaviour of this country's PM, it would be hypocritical in the extreme if this young cricketer was hung out to dry for past bad behaviour. Maybe a suspension as an example and a warning to others to think before they post.

Parky Fri 04-Jun-21 11:47:34

Oh for goodness sake "he who is without sin should throw the first stone". I presume most gransnetters were not subject to the pressure and trial by the masses, and can conveniently forgot past silly comments. Let's stop judging people by today's standards.

Anniebach Fri 04-Jun-21 12:08:23

Agree Parky

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Jun-21 12:13:11

past silly comments ?

This was actually only a few years ago, not 1970!

Yes, as GillT says, we have all done or did things we regret - but not many of us were "accidentally" using this horrible language and using the #racist.

No, I don't want to "hang him out to dry" but it needs addressing in a meaningful way... Then he can get on and prove himself to be the person he now says he is.

BlueBelle Fri 04-Jun-21 12:38:14

I don’t agree with those that are brushing this under the carpet

I know I made huge mistakes at 18, BUT from the age of 3 or 4 I would NEVER have thought, said or done anything racist, it was not in me and that’s the difference… yes you might get off you head with drink, you may even be daft enough to try drugs, you might have sex without a condom BUT someone who is not a racist would never ever make remarks or tweets with the N word or any other dreadful thing that he is supposed to have said

Give me a child at 7 and give me the man I m afraid how ever much he denies it at 18 you have a very good idea of the politics you want to follow and the morals you want to have
If as an adult MAN at 18 , old enough to vote, to go to war for his country, to have a baby if he is stupid enough BUT to make hideous racist remarks, then yes he should be made to realise it, and saying sorry just doesn’t cut the mustard

It’s very rare for a racist to change the opinions they had at 18 and I d be very surprised if his apologies are as genuine as they seem I hope they are but yes he needs a year out to have a good think

Party and Anniebach completely wrong you can NEVER justify racism you are making it sound like he said ‘ oh bother’

Jabberwok Fri 04-Jun-21 12:58:18

I don't agree. A lot of people are extremely foolish at 18, say and do things they later very much regret, some of course aren't foolish. All those of us who have behaved badly in one way or another can do is to apologise, there's nothing else you can do short of suicide, and I don't think many people would expect someone to do that.

Urmstongran Fri 04-Jun-21 12:59:42

This Robinson case has left a very dirty taste in the mouth.

A 19-year-old makes comments when he may or may not have been fully sober. And eight years later, at the greatest moment in his life, he is publicly shamed and humiliated for making them.

The Woke forces at work are making this a deeply unpleasant and increasingly sinister society in which we now live.

BlueBelle Fri 04-Jun-21 13:06:36

Both the last two posts jabberwok and umstrongran are making excuses and blaming right minded people by calling them ‘woke’ for expecting people to be respectful kind and non racist
You do not say racist things if you are not a racist they don’t just pop out your mouth like ‘f u’ might, it’s in your brain, in your make up in your very being and making excuses for someone who is a racist makes people as bad
There is NO excuse at any age

Galaxy Fri 04-Jun-21 13:10:56

Are you saying people shouldn't be allowed to respond because that sounds deeply sinister as well. Under no circumstances should he be sacked, but I and anyone else can call him an arse.

Riverwalk Fri 04-Jun-21 13:14:37

None of us would like to be judged by what we said when aged 18 but his comments weren't 'silly' they were vile.

You can't hang something around his neck for life for the follies of his youth but also it can't be just set aside - a one game suspension seems fair to me.

Yes he has apologised profusely, but only after he was exposed.

Jabberwok Fri 04-Jun-21 13:22:21

I haven't called anybody or thing 'woke'. It's not a word I use. I have said that the young do tend to say and do things that they regret later in life. I guess this man had forgotten all about this incident until someone kindly brought it to the appropriate authority.

BlueBelle Fri 04-Jun-21 13:31:46

No jabberwork the next poster did use the word woke and I was answering both of you
I guess this man had forgotten all about this incident until someone kindly brought it to the appropriate authority who knows he may have used it since and not been caught out or he may have thought it but grown up enough not to use it who knows but I m very glad someone did remind him gives him some food for thought
No he shouldn’t be punished for life, of course not that would be ridiculous but he needs to have some form of recognition
It’s not a slip up

theworriedwell Fri 04-Jun-21 14:19:22

NotSpaghetti

Of course you are right worriedwell about teaching our children about the internet - but we should primarily be teaching them to be open to difference, to be inclusive, to not define people by one thing about them and not to tolerate abuse of others - I'm sure there's more, but you get the idea.

It's important that people realise that "slagging" women for being women, calling people "N******" etc is not just a "stupid comment" from a "silly boy" but speaks to the person he was - and reflects on the society we are.

Yes that's true, I suppose because my kids are mixed race I sort of take it for granted that they would be inclusive of others but I suppose that isn't always true.