Gransnet forums

Chat

Should Ollie Robinson be dropped from next cricket series??

(59 Posts)
25Avalon Fri 04-Jun-21 08:45:17

Nine years ago when he was 18 and incredibly foolish Ollie Robinson made serious racist and sexist tweets. This has now been unearthed and he has been reduced from cricket hero to villain. He has apologised profusely but ECC seem to want to make an example of him and are holding a disciplinary meeting, after which he is likely to be dropped for at least one game if not the whole series. This seems rather harsh. Does it mean there is no hope for reformation and rehabilitation now he is older and wiser or is it just getting his just desserts in these pc times?

Callistemon Tue 08-Jun-21 17:47:53

One game suspension would be appropriate as long as the time was spent on an appropriate course or perhaps teaching deprived minorities cricket skills.
Something positive from a negative.

maddyone Tue 08-Jun-21 17:57:41

He shouldn’t be punished for life for something he did in his youth. Even murderers get out of prison.

Mollygo Tue 08-Jun-21 18:11:17

The ‘n’ word was already unacceptable when I was growing up and we did not use it.
Is it appropriate to punish someone severely for something they said 8-9 years ago? He has apologised profusely. He has had his misdemeanour publicised throughout the cricketing world and throughout Britain, and that will be remembered forever.
A short suspension and some activity of the sort mention by Callistemon seems more appropriate.
On the other hand, if I could publicise the names of and punish the teenagers who repeatedly called my daughters and their friends ‘white trash’, I’d certainly do so. Perhaps that makes me hypocritical.

theworriedwell Tue 08-Jun-21 18:13:06

maddyone

He shouldn’t be punished for life for something he did in his youth. Even murderers get out of prison.

Has anyone suggested he should be punished for life? People seem to be up in arms about him missing one match.

theworriedwell Tue 08-Jun-21 18:15:00

Mollygo

The ‘n’ word was already unacceptable when I was growing up and we did not use it.
Is it appropriate to punish someone severely for something they said 8-9 years ago? He has apologised profusely. He has had his misdemeanour publicised throughout the cricketing world and throughout Britain, and that will be remembered forever.
A short suspension and some activity of the sort mention by Callistemon seems more appropriate.
On the other hand, if I could publicise the names of and punish the teenagers who repeatedly called my daughters and their friends ‘white trash’, I’d certainly do so. Perhaps that makes me hypocritical.

When did they call your daughter names? Is there a time when it is OK to think a punishment is appropriate.

Why should the punishment get less over time, just because he's got away with it for 8 or 9 years should he be treated differently to one of his team mates who makes that remark today, even if they then apologise?

Mollygo Tue 08-Jun-21 18:28:10

Theworriedwell
When we complained to the school about the teenagers’ remarks to my daughters and friends, it was made quite clear that, had the insults been made in the other direction, severe repercussions would have taken place, but we were just being over sensitive.
I think it will be a good lesson to all internet users, that your past behaviour can and will be dragged up again and again.
I’m not suggesting there should be no punishment.

theworriedwell Tue 08-Jun-21 18:56:45

Mollygo it should go both ways without a doubt.

I do think it is a good lesson particularly for the young, I've certainly been talking to GC about it, not the little ones but the teenagers, it is a good lesson for them.

The ones who abused my GS are a bit young to be thinking about their future careers so might be a bit lost on them but I can't believe parents would stand there listening to their 7 year olds shouting racist abuse and do nothing.

25Avalon Sat 03-Jul-21 11:07:02

Ollie Robinson can resume playing cricket again having served 3 months of his 8 match ban, the other 5 being suspended for 2 years. He was also fined £3,200. That is with mitigating circumstances!! Still seems a bit harsh but I suppose it sends out a warning message for other foolish young people to think before they tweet.